Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study computer science with business management degree at uni (it's usually 75% CS and 25% business). I need help on things to do or write about in my personal statement to make me stand out from the rest of the students who are possibly very similar to me.

Things i have done to put on my statement:
    DOFE Bronze
    DOFE Gold (still in progress)
    NCS The Challenge
    Volunteering (2 years)

Things i am planning to do:
    EPQ (probably this summer)
    Business (I want to create a small handmade business starting on etsy, hopefully expanding, to sell handmade jewellery and clothes and my own artwork)

Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any suggestions? I want to stand out from the other students that are similar and are applying for the same courses. If you're in uni, what things made you stand out, what would make me stand out, and just any general help.
    Btw, i'm currently only in year 12 but i want to start doing some things that will both benefit me and my uni application.

ReputationRep:
    You've only got 4000 characters, just make sure the things you put have some substance rather than reeling off a bunch of things you think are achievements.

You could probably easily use 1000 of those characters talking about your volunteering like why you volunteer, what functional skills it's taught you and what skills and qualities it demonstrates.

I'd steer away from things you want or plan to do unless you have rock solid plans on doing them. I've seen so many personal statements from people talking about starting charities, starting their own business blah blah blah and the people reading them will be used to people saying things like that because they sound impressive but who don't actually follow through on them.

Talk about real things about you and actually talk about them. Three core points on each: Why you do it and are passionate about it. What it's taught you. What skills and qualities it demonstrates.

Your DOFE, NCS and volunteering is plenty provided you actually talk about them. Don't worry if everyone else on the course has done them, worry about why you as an individual do them and sound like a real person talking about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    You've only got 4000 characters, just make sure the things you put have some substance rather than reeling off a bunch of things you think are achievements.

You could probably easily use 1000 of those characters talking about your volunteering like why you volunteer, what functional skills it's taught you and what skills and qualities it demonstrates.

I'd steer away from things you want or plan to do unless you have rock solid plans on doing them. I've seen so many personal statements from people talking about starting charities, starting their own business blah blah blah and the people reading them will be used to people saying things like that because they sound impressive but who don't actually follow through on them.

Talk about real things about you and actually talk about them. Three core points on each: Why you do it and are passionate about it. What it's taught you. What skills and qualities it demonstrates.

Your DOFE, NCS and volunteering is plenty provided you actually talk about them. Don't worry if everyone else on the course has done them, worry about why you as an individual do them and sound like a real person talking about them.
    Ok thank you, that was very helpful, I'm only in year 12 so I haven't started making my personal statement yet.

And no no, the part where I said I was planning to do EPQ and start a business, I am planning to do that this year, and I've planned it all through and I AM going through with it starting this summer. And yes I understand what u mean, I wasn't Really going to include it if I hadn't actually done I thought or tbf if it fails. But Yh , I was trying to say I am planning to do EPQ and start a small business this year and not in or after uni. And my question on that is wouldn't that look good, or appealing or considerable or something .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minionzzz)
    Ok thank you, that was very helpful, I'm only in year 12 so I haven't started making my personal statement yet.

And no no, the part where I said I was planning to do EPQ and start a business, I am planning to do that this year, and I've planned it all through and I AM going through with it starting this summer. And yes I understand what u mean, I wasn't Really going to include it if I hadn't actually done I thought or tbf if it fails. But Yh , I was trying to say I am planning to do EPQ and start a small business this year and not in or after uni. And my question on that is wouldn't that look good, or appealing or considerable or something .
    If you actually start a business, even if it fails then yeah that would look great. Seriously talk about it even if it fails as long as you genuinely tried and have experience from it to talk about. Most successful people have several failed ventures to their name. The difference between a successful person and a failure is the successful person persisted until they found their niche.

The trick with the personal statement is for it to sound actually personal. remember you only have 4000 characters (and you should use them all if you can). Just pick the topics you wish to present about yourself, again it's not a CV so it doesn't have to be your entire life story just a few really key things that stand you apart. And imagine someone has asked you:

1. Why do you or did you do that?
    2. What did you gain or learn from it?
    3. What skills did it require that are transferable to being a well-rounded human being?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigYoSpeck)
    If you actually start a business, even if it fails then yeah that would look great. Seriously talk about it even if it fails as long as you genuinely tried and have experience from it to talk about. Most successful people have several failed ventures to their name. The difference between a successful person and a failure is the successful person persisted until they found their niche.

The trick with the personal statement is for it to sound actually personal. remember you only have 4000 characters (and you should use them all if you can). Just pick the topics you wish to present about yourself, again it's not a CV so it doesn't have to be your entire life story just a few really key things that stand you apart. And imagine someone has asked you:

1. Why do you or did you do that?
    2. What did you gain or learn from it?
    3. What skills did it require that are transferable to being a well-rounded human being?
    Ok Thank you so much, i'll remmeber those questions when i start writing my statement out. thank you so much for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.