Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For how long did people say there will never be a good comic book movie? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has probably heard someone say something along the lines of "There will never be a good video game movie". It got me thinking if people ever said the same thing about comic book movies which are now the most successful thing in cinema and if so, for how long was that the belief?

Superman came out in 1978 but the character had existed since the 30s. Watchmen had a reputation as unfilmable and sat in developmet hell for decades. Wonder Woman has existed for 75 years and is only now getting her big screen debut, which by christ I hope is good (stay away Zach Snyder). Plus we've had some terrible comic book films Daredevil, Spawn, Batman and Robin, hell virtually every DC film since the Dark Knight has only been surviving on name recognition and nostalgia. Most of the problem with these films is clearly the people who made them didn't get or care about what the character was all about (looking at you Snyder), and to me that seems to always be the problem with video game movies, they ultimately just missed the point of the game. Marvel on the other hand has done some massive deviations from their comic book stories but have pulled it off because they understand their characters.

Films like Wreck-it-Ralph and Scott Pilgrim vs The World hit a lot of the right notes, one review referred to Kubo and the Two Strings as the closest thing we'll get to a Legend of Zelda game. Hardcore Henry managed to do an entire film in first person with a silent protagonist. Clearly it should be possible to make a good video game movie, is it just going to take some people in this generation to grow up to be film makers in like 20 years time because they'll actually understand the games?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Everyone has probably heard someone say something along the lines of "There will never be a good video game movie". It got me thinking if people ever said the same thing about comic book movies which are now the most successful thing in cinema and if so, for how long was that the belief?
    I don't think this was ever a belief because throughout the 1930s there were enormously successful movie serials taken from comic books such as **** Tracy, Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    It got me thinking if people ever said the same thing about comic book movies
    Nope, not really. Beyond the popular black & white serials of the 30s mentioned above and the relative hiatus of superhero movies in the 40s and 50s while the comic book.industry was having problems with the US government, you have a string of consistently well received superhero films from the 60s onwards.

Watchmen had a reputation as unfilmable and sat in developmet hell for decades.
    This is more to do with Watchmen as an individual work being deemed unfilmable, rather than being a reflection of the genre as a whole. It's one of the most lauded, and complex, stories ever told through the medium of comic book panels.

Films like Wreck-it-Ralph and Scott Pilgrim vs The World hit a lot of the right notes, one review referred to Kubo and the Two Strings as the closest thing we'll get to a Legend of Zelda game. Hardcore Henry managed to do an entire film in first person with a silent protagonist. Clearly it should be possible to make a good video game movie,
    There's a very large cavern between video game adaptations and films about video games or using video games as a core theme. If these sorts of films.were proof video games could be good then this question would have stopped being asked all the way back with the release of WarGames or Tron. This isn't what people mean when they're asking about "good video game movies", they're asking when the stories and worlds of video game franchises will be adequately translated to the medium of cinema.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Nope, not really. Beyond the popular black & white serials of the 30s mentioned above and the relative hiatus of superhero movies in the 40s and 50s while the comic book.industry was having problems with the US government, you have a string of consistently well received superhero films from the 60s onwards.
    Fair enough, my query was more wondering if there was a genre that had ever had similar sentiments said about it.

(Original post by Gofre)
    This is more to do with Watchmen as an individual work being deemed unfilmable, rather than being a reflection of the genre as a whole. It's one of the most lauded, and complex, stories ever told through the medium of comic book panels.
    True, Lord of the Rings had similar comments made about it as well.

(Original post by Gofre)
    There's a very large cavern between video game adaptations and films about video games or using video games as a core theme. If these sorts of films.were proof video games could be good then this question would have stopped being asked all the way back with the release of WarGames or Tron. This isn't what people mean when they're asking about "good video game movies", they're asking when the stories and worlds of video game franchises will be adequately translated to the medium of cinema.
    I've never seen anything to suggest that video game stories and worlds are inherently untranslatable though, it just seems whenever anyone tries it's been someone who completely and utterly has no idea what they're doing with it. The films I mentioned essentially should demonstrate there's nothing unfilmable in video game worlds themselves as that's essentially what they're set in. It always seems to be problems with taking the story across. Take the Assassin's Creed film, all you need is an indiana jones film or a political intrigue film set in a particularly famous era and you're done, but they decided to spend most of the film focusing on the modern era stuff, as opposed what people actually went to see the film for.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.