Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1483728587549-1620709918.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  497.8 KB
    Can someone please explain to me a) , what do they exactly mean by adsorbtion???
    As for B), I completely do not understand it 😭
    It says that mobile phase is non polar therefore means that most one soluble in it will travel faster (have highest detector response according to graph) therefore we pick the one that is nonpolar as it will be the most soluble right??? Isn't that X!!!!!!
    Pleaseee could u explain in details
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    Name:  1483728587549-1620709918.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  497.8 KB
    Can someone please explain to me a) , what do they exactly mean by adsorbtion???
    As for B), I completely do not understand it 😭
    It says that mobile phase is non polar therefore means that most one soluble in it will travel faster (have highest detector response according to graph) therefore we pick the one that is nonpolar as it will be the most soluble right??? Isn't that X!!!!!!
    Pleaseee could u explain in details
    Thanks x
    a) Adsorption is where the substance adheres to the surface of a liquid or solid by means of intermolecular bonds.

b) The mobile phase is non-polar. So non-polar substances will travel in mobile phase more likely than adsorb to the stationary phase.

So, the more non-polar, the more likely it will travel in the mobile phase and reach the detector quicker. W is the earliest peak we see. So it's the most non-polar

Spoiler:
    Show

Think of it like a race. Non-polar runners will run across the track, but me and my polar shoes will adsorb to the ground and I'll move slower. Thus I won't reach the finish until last. The most non-polar will win the race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telepathicnine)
    a) Adsorption is where the substance adheres to the surface of a liquid or solid by means of intermolecular bonds.

b) The mobile phase is non-polar. So non-polar substances will travel in mobile phase more likely than adsorb to the stationary phase.

So, the more non-polar, the more likely it will travel in the mobile phase and reach the detector quicker. W is the earliest peak we see. So it's the most non-polar

Spoiler:
    Show

Think of it like a race. Non-polar runners will run across the track, but me and my polar shoes will adsorb to the ground and I'll move slower. Thus I won't reach the finish until last. The most non-polar will win the race.

Ohh I get it thanks for the clear explanation!!! Does the length of the peak just show the abundance of each substance? Also when it says adsorbed it means that the stationary phase is solid right? Bcz if it was liquid it would have been absorbed ? Am I correct or not
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ohh I get it thanks for the clear explanation!!! Does the length of the peak just show the abundance of each substance? Also when it says adsorbed it means that the stationary phase is solid right? Bcz if it was liquid it would have been absorbed ? Am I correct or not
    The area under the curve is proportional to the abundance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    The area under the curve is proportional to the abundance.
    Isnt that NMR spectrum?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Isnt that NMR spectrum?
    ... and chromatography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    ... and chromatography.
    Thank you xxxxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.