Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    It's been shown that banning guns does not lower the murder rate yet you ignore this, you would happily exchange 5 gun murders for 5 knife murders it doesn't matter how easy something is it matters that banning guns has been proven not to lower the murder rate in the uk and Australia and have the opposite effect and raise it in the Ireland and Jamaica but you ignore that.

Is a murder involving a gun somehow worse than any other murder?

It is far easier to kill someone with a gun than a knife. Try killing 50 people in a matter of minutes with a knife... Try killing five people as quickly as the guy did the other day with a knife...

I want to make it harder for people to kill others, so far as possible, not easier. And you comparing the USA to Jamaica adds nothing to your laughably bad 'argument'. (hesitate to actually call it an 'argument' - more like a serious of jumbled, contradictory positions)

You still ignore the fact not everyone can get a gun in America and I have talked about people who shouldn't be allowed to have a gun
    Having guns sold legally makes it far easier to get hold of them illegally.

Now answer my question:

Would airports be safer if everyone had a gun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    It is far easier to kill someone with a gun than a knife. Try killing 50 people in a matter of minutes with a knife... Try killing five people as quickly as the guy did the other day with a knife...

I want to make it harder for people to kill others, so far as possible, not easier. And you comparing the USA to Jamaica adds nothing to your laughably bad 'argument'. (hesitate to actually call it an 'argument' - more like a serious of jumbled, contradictory positions)

Having guns sold legally makes it far easier to get hold of them illegally.

Now answer my question:

Would airports be safer if everyone had a gun?
    I have used the uk, Ireland and Australia which you repeatedly have ignored why is that?

Show me evidence that banning guns reduces the murder rate

Show me where I have said everyone should be able to have a gun, I'm 100% certain I have talked about people who shouldn't be able to and also show me where in the us law everyone is allowed guns, it would be like me asking you whether everyone should be allowed to drive? You haven't said that just like I haven't said what you are trying to say I have said
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I have used the uk, Ireland and Australia which you repeatedly have ignored why is that?

Show me evidence that banning guns reduces the murder rate

Show me where I have said everyone should be able to have a gun, I'm 100% certain I have talked about people who shouldn't be able to and also show me where in the us law everyone is allowed guns, it would be like me asking you whether everyone should be allowed to drive? You haven't said that just like I haven't said what you are trying to say I have said
    Okay let's deal with the UK and Australia.

The UK has very strict gun laws and barely any gun crime.
    Australia has gun laws probably half way in between the USA and UK and has more gun crime.
    I don't need evidence to prove to you that someone not having a gun means that they can't shoot people dead. That's basic logic. I know you'll go 'ah but they'd get a knife' - Well as discussed, it is far, far more difficult to kill people, especially groups of people in a public place with a knife.

I'm getting bored of you not answering the question.
    I'm not trying to trip you up. I want to know your opinion.

Would airports be safer if everyone there (except people who cannot legally buy a gun) was allowed to carry a gun yes or no?

Would night clubs be safer if there were more guns in them? Yes or no?

Just answer with a yes or no. They are not trick questions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    I thought a lot of the problems in Jamaica were down to gang issues. It isn't as if gun controls were brought in and a small number of criminals suddenly developed a taste for shooting now defenceless people.

So why isn't Heathrow seeing mass shootings? Why hasn't the UK had a school massacre since 1996?

And are you seriously suggesting that there should be no gun free zones?

As Joe said, the reason why gun massacres happen so frequently in the USA is not because people have guns, but because people don't have enough guns.

Can't you see that everyone would be a lot safer if everyone had a gun?

ReputationRep:
    As Joe said, the reason why gun massacres happen so frequently in the USA is not because people have guns, but because people don't have enough guns.

Can't you see that everyone would be a lot safer if everyone had a gun?
    À large portion like this fellow were previously in the military and he served in Afghanistan or Iran I think I'm not to sure. I think there's a large connection between that as a lot of people have regrets when they go over they feel guilty coming home about what goes on there and this manifests itself as a massacre more times than à few.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Spin spin spin.

In Britain there are hardly any guns and hardly any gun crime. The opposite is true in America. What you are trying to assert is that if nobody had a gun, that there would somehow be more gun crime. Yeah, that's logical.

Whatever clever arguments you make about Honduras, Japan or any other random country the simple, logical fact is that if there were no guns in America, there would be far less gun crime.
    But far less gun crime does not necessarily mean less crime, the argument against guns is that, somehow, there is more crime with guns, particularly homicides, something which is clearly false, something you are "spin spin spin"ning away from tackling. And I guess even if we were to suppose guns cannot be gotten rid of you would completely oppose concealed carry, even though all the evidence points to a strong correlation with decreased serious crime rates, with a causal link, not just a correlation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.