Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    I agree, there are a few problems with the system here, I think that most other states this wouldn't of happened but alaska has the second loosest gun laws in the USA.
    I thought the problem was that everyone else in the airport didn't have a gun?

I thought the reason why the Orlando shooter killed so many was that everyone in the club didn't have a gun?

Wait, are you suggesting just possibly that no one in an airport having a gun is far safer than everyone having a gun? Blimey.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Had he been diagnosed with a mental illness? I know he went to get an evaluation but if he hadn't been diagnosed they couldn't stop him as it would have been a civil rights violation
    Ah yes, it would have been far worse for him not to be granted his 'civil right' of having a gun.

Could you imagine if his 'civil right' to have a gun wasn't granted and those five people he murdered were still alive?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rissanicole14)
    This is so sad but true :rofl:

They'd advocate having child-sized guns for all the children to protect themselves against the other children with guns.

The logical solution would clearly be to carry a gun to protect yourself against every other person in society with a gun.
    Agreed. The logical solution to gun crime is more guns isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    I thought the problem was that everyone else in the airport didn't have a gun?

I thought the reason why the Orlando shooter killed so many was that everyone in the club didn't have a gun?

Wait, are you suggesting just possibly that no one in an airport having a gun is far safer than everyone having a gun? Blimey.
    I'm a fan of people who are have not been suffering from mental problems having a gun, something which if you look at federal gun laws is prohibited.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, it would have been far worse for him not to be granted his 'civil right' of having a gun.

Could you imagine if his 'civil right' to have a gun wasn't granted and those five people he murdered were still alive?
    Did I say that would of been better?
    The state would have been sued if he hadn't been allowed it if he hasn't been diagnosed with any illness.

ReputationRep:
    The gun was brought in via a air Canada flight so if it originated from there Canada is a country with strict gun laws

A better change to prevent this would be to change the laws to not allow ammo on flights that might of stopped this without on infringing on Americans rights
    Air Canada doesn't just do flights between Canada and other destinations...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Air Canada doesn't just do flights between Canada and other destinations...
    I was not sure of what route they took at that time that is why I did not say that is what happened.

It's a fair assumption that a flight on a Canadian airline might of went via Canada

ReputationRep:
    I was not sure of what route they took at that time that is why I did not say that is what happened.

It's a fair assumption that a flight on a Canadian airline might have gone via Canada
    If it was a transit, the checked luggage would not have gone through Canadian security check I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I take it that France and Germany are going to ban trucks?
    The main purpose of trucks is not to kill.

What other purposes does a gun serve other than to kill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    So he probably looked jewish. So he was white. Probably christian too.
    It's hilarious that people are saying he's not white because he's presumably Hispanic.

Poor Spaniards getting kicked out of the white race.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Did I say that would of been better?
    The state would have been sued if he hadn't been allowed it if he hasn't been diagnosed with any illness.
    Well you seem to be suggesting that a persons right to have a gun is more important than innocent peoples right not to be murdered?

Do you still standby your claim that everyone in the airport should have a gun?

Also why will you not answer my question about the Orlando nightclub? Should everyone in the nightclub have had a gun on them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    The target could be anything. Animals are a particular favourite among gun owners.
    Is killing an animal not killing if it's not human?

ReputationRep:
    It is another mass public shooting in a gun free zone
    It is not. It's legal to carry guns in checked luggage. He got his gun from his checked luggage.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm a fan of people who are have not been suffering from mental problems having a gun, something which if you look at federal gun laws is prohibited.
    Yet here a gun was acquired legally, transported legally and the end result is five murdered civilians.

Seems that you think people's right to have a gun is more important than other people's right not to be murdered.

Are you still claiming that the answer to gun crime is giving everyone a gun?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    It is not. It's legal to carry guns in checked luggage. He got his gun from his checked luggage.
    Don't worry, he's already explained that the reason gun crime is so high is not because of guns but because there aren't enough guns.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, he's already explained that the reason gun crime is so high is not because of guns but because there aren't enough guns.
    It's a good thing that criminals can't get guns, and that lunatic theologians haven't figured out that you can kill people with things other than guns. Cleavers, trucks, aeroplanes.

If either of those things were true, all this naval gazing about the second amendment would be pretty dumb.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. All passengers should have carried a gun on a flight. This way when a terrorist tries to take over the plane everyone could just shoot everywhere and break all the windows so planes could start falling from the sky. There will only be an increased number of aviation accidents, not gun deaths.

To prevent shooting from happening in schools, the only way is to arm every teacher and child so when someone breaks in everyone can shoot everywhere so the kinder kids could all die in peace due to not running fast enough and the teachers could just accidentally kill some of the annoying students.

To prevent shooting from happening in a public place like Times Square everyone could just be armed with guns so all those people walking around could just all die in a crossfire and then hopefully Mariah Carey could've shot the culprit who forgot to put her CD on for her to lip-sync.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    It's a good thing that criminals can't get guns, and that lunatic theologians haven't figured out that you can kill people with things other than guns. Cleavers, trucks, aeroplanes.

If either of those things were true, all this naval gazing about the second amendment would be pretty dumb.
    The US has a much higher murder rate compared to all other developed countries.

It's also much easier to obtain a gun illegally when there are legal guns everywhere. If I want to buy a gun from someone, I need to actually know some drug cartel or whatever; if an American wants to buy a gun from someone, they could just ask their neighbours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    From the point of view of the pro-gun people, this is something enshrined, not in law, but in the constitution of the country. It's not a option or a privilege, but a right stemming from the foundation of the nation. That's compelling stuff. This isn't like changing the speed limit on the motorway, it's major constitutional stuff.
    The second amendment states that it's for "a well regulated Militia" but let's just assume it meant every private citizen including mentally ill people and babies.

ReputationRep:
    Well you seem to be suggesting that a persons right to have a gun is more important than innocent peoples right not to be murdered?

Do you still standby your claim that everyone in the airport should have a gun?

Also why will you not answer my question about the Orlando nightclub? Should everyone in the nightclub have had a gun on them?
    Where did I say everyone should have a gun in the airport? I have said gun free zones are basically a sign saying shoot here.

See my point about gun free zones above.

I'm saying the state shouldn't be able to take away people's rights except in very narrow circumstances.

You seem to assume that gun=murder which is wrong.
    You have suggested people's right to drive is more important than their right not to be murdered.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.