Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    im unsure of how to revise effectively for my GCSE literature exam for Jekyll & hyde, romeo and Juliet and an inspector calls
    I'm doing the 9-1 english gcse edexcel

would mind maps be a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    imo mindmaps are very good! you can do them for characters and themes, and also you can plan out answers to questions if you ask your teacher for some example qs
    otherwise you can also do quote charts for themes and characters - so long as you know some key quotes for each character and theme, and some points for each you'll be able to answer pretty much anything they throw at you

I used to find it helpful to write up scene-by-scene/chapter-by-chapter summaries or bullet point lists for each of the plays and novels i studied, it makes sure you understand what's actually gone on and helps you to remember when the events actually happened in the texts

and, of course, it goes without saying that it's best to re-read your texts as much as possible before the exam

i'm sure you'll do fab! I did AIC at GCSE so if you ever want any notes etc for that then feel free to PM me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie2267)
    imo mindmaps are very good! you can do them for characters and themes, and also you can plan out answers to questions if you ask your teacher for some example qs
    otherwise you can also do quote charts for themes and characters - so long as you know some key quotes for each character and theme, and some points for each you'll be able to answer pretty much anything they throw at you

I used to find it helpful to write up scene-by-scene/chapter-by-chapter summaries or bullet point lists for each of the plays and novels i studied, it makes sure you understand what's actually gone on and helps you to remember when the events actually happened in the texts

and, of course, it goes without saying that it's best to re-read your texts as much as possible before the exam

i'm sure you'll do fab! I did AIC at GCSE so if you ever want any notes etc for that then feel free to PM me!
    those notes would be great!!!
    Thank you for the advice. Also, do you think that the 9-1 english GCSE will be much different from previous years because i am the first year to be doing the new GCSE??

ReputationRep:

those notes would be great!!! Thank you for the advice. Also, do you think that the 9-1 english GCSE will be much different from previous years because i am the first year to be doing the new GCSE??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esmeralda123)
    those notes would be great!!! Thank you for the advice. Also, do you think that the 9-1 english GCSE will be much different from previous years because i am the first year to be doing the new GCSE??
    Hey sorry for the late reply! I'm at my dads atm but I'm going back to my mums (where all my old notes are) tomorrow night so I'll post them on this thread then!

Hmmm, if in terms of raw difficulty I think they are designed to be more challenging, in that there's no controlled assessments to all back on (I believe?). However, because you're the first year of the new GCSEs, I think you'll also get a fair bit of leeway in exams. I did the first AS Levels last year and the questions we got were all pretty nice. Exam boards firstly don't want to scare schools away from them, and because they're new specs they also have to sort of make the rules up as they go along. Now this isn't brilliant if you want to know exactly what they want from you (because they don't know either 😅), but it also means that if you write an essay in English Lit, for example, that isn't 100% what they were looking for, then you have a much higher chance of getting away with it.

For example my history teacher used to teach philosophy, and in the first year of a new spec about 1/3 of students answered a question correctly, 1/3 got it completely wrong, but a 1/3 technically got it wrong but the question was vague enough that it could have meant what it was written about. Therefore that 1/3 got the marks because so many students had written about it they /had/ to put it in the mark scheme.

I hope that made some sense? Tl;dr the new GCSEs are meant to be harder, and they probably will be different from previous years, but as you're the first year examiners will understand that therefore there should be more leeway for your cohort

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry for the late reply! I'm at my dads atm but I'm going back to my mums (where all my old notes are) tomorrow night so I'll post them on this thread then!

Hmmm, if in terms of raw difficulty I think they are designed to be more challenging, in that there's no controlled assessments to all back on (I believe?). However, because you're the first year of the new GCSEs, I think you'll also get a fair bit of leeway in exams. I did the first AS Levels last year and the questions we got were all pretty nice. Exam boards firstly don't want to scare schools away from them, and because they're new specs they also have to sort of make the rules up as they go along. Now this isn't brilliant if you want to know exactly what they want from you (because they don't know either 😅), but it also means that if you write an essay in English Lit, for example, that isn't 100% what they were looking for, then you have a much higher chance of getting away with it.

For example my history teacher used to teach philosophy, and in the first year of a new spec about 1/3 of students answered a question correctly, 1/3 got it completely wrong, but a 1/3 technically got it wrong but the question was vague enough that it could have meant what it was written about. Therefore that 1/3 got the marks because so many students had written about it they /had/ to put it in the mark scheme.

I hope that made some sense? Tl;dr the new GCSEs are meant to be harder, and they probably will be different from previous years, but as you're the first year examiners will understand that therefore there should be more leeway for your cohort

I really hope that they'll be lenient!
    English literature is the one exam that I am absolutely dreading but I feel more confident now. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (sorry this is going to be really long, I can't seem to get the pictures into spoilers :/)

Part 1
    1-10: summaries of the AIC scenes with analysis of important quotes for each character
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Part 2
    11, 12: the final scene analyses
    Shelia 1,2,3: an essay plan for the character of Sheila
    Quote chart 1,2: quote charts for characters and themes
    Possible qs: take a guess
    Dramatic devices: the devices used in AIC and what they mean/the atmosphere they create etc
    who killed Eva?: a mindmap on who killed Eva/Daisy
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Part 3:
    Themes: the themes of AIC + quotes relating to them
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hope these help you a bit! I thought I had more essay plans for characters etc, but I can't seem to find them

good luck with your exams - you'll be fab I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    Hope these help you a bit! I thought I had more essay plans for characters etc, but I can't seem to find them

good luck with your exams - you'll be fab I'm sure
    Thank you very much!!! I've only just skimmed these but they look very useful.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get for your english literature exam as well as what exam board if that is not too personal to ask??

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!!! I've only just skimmed these but they look very useful.

If you don't mind me asking, what grade did you get for your english literature exam as well as what exam board if that is not too personal to ask??

It's not personal! (or at least I don't mind you asking )

I got an A* for GCSE English Literature, and I got an A at AS last year - my school were on WJEC (the Welsh board, which is slightly strange because I don't live anywhere near Wales :' ))

AIC was my favourite exam out of the three texts I did (although I think I actually did better on my Of Mice and Men paper idk) - my question was about how the female characters were representative of attitudes towards women of the time, or something like that

ReputationRep:
    It's not personal! (or at least I don't mind you asking )

I got an A* for GCSE English Literature, and I got an A at AS last year - my school were on WJEC (the Welsh board, which is slightly strange because I don't live anywhere near Wales :' ))

AIC was my favourite exam out of the three texts I did (although I think I actually did better on my Of Mice and Men paper idk) - my question was about how the female characters were representative of attitudes towards women of the time, or something like that
    Wow that's amazing!!!
    May I ask what your top tips are for the english exam and how you got that A*?
    I am worried that i will not have enough time to write everything down and that i won't remember my ideas. Any strategies to overcome this?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=esmeralda123;69467166]

Wow that's amazing!!!
    I am worried that i will not have enough time to write everything down and that i won't remember my ideas. Any strategies to overcome this?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's amazing!!!
    Also, how did you structure your essay?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.