Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    My brother was an accountant.. made tons of money, drives an Audi.

However he gave it all up, he hated the fact that all he was doing was making money for other people. He hated that he was working 12 hour days and he had no time with friends and family.

His life was all about work.

He is now a teacher of business. Pay is a lot less. There are people in sand which factories making more per week. But he is so much happier than he ever was.

Yes he doesn't have an Audi or he doesn't buy fancy watches worth more my car. But it's true money does not buy happiness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedom)
    My brother was an accountant.. made tons of money, drives an Audi.

However he gave it all up, he hated the fact that all he was doing was making money for other people. He hated that he was working 12 hour days and he had no time with friends and family.

His life was all about work.

He is now a teacher of business. Pay is a lot less. There are people in sand which factories making more per week. But he is so much happier than he ever was.

Yes he doesn't have an Audi or he doesn't buy fancy watches worth more my car. But it's true money does not buy happiness

Yeah this is the kind of reply I was looking for. I don't know if leaving my work (at least right now) is a mistake. And when I do leave I just don't know what to apply for

ReputationRep:
    Just stick it out, and apply for others which you might find interesting.

Also how about some part time work if you have spare hours over the weekend or evenings? Could
    You do a bar shift here and there, work as a waitress. Extra money to spend on clothes etc

ReputationRep:
    Just stick it out, and apply for others which you might find interesting.

Also how about some part time work if you have spare hours over the weekend or evenings? Could
    You do a bar shift here and there, work as a waitress. Extra money to spend on clothes etc
    Yeah I applied for a delivery job called quikup. Something like deliveroo but with a car. Not sure if I'll do it. I don't know if I can handle myself if an acquaintance catches me delivering Burger King to them lol. Obviously friends won't judge but I dunno about it

ReputationRep:
    Okay, but you could easy make an extra 300 a month. Maybe more, and imagine what you can buy.

Can't you do some bar work instead. If you have customer service exp someone will be will to train you up?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, but you could easy make an extra 300 a month. Maybe more, and imagine what you can buy.

Can't you do some bar work instead. If you have customer service exp someone will be will to train you up?
    Lool 'imagine what you could buy'. I wouldn't do bar work. And I am completely done with retail. I want to do something which requires very little effort and energy because my job can be very demanding and stressful (I get hit almost every day and occasionally this can be severe). It also tests my patience a lot so I really value my weekends. I like staying home at least one day a week so a driving job would be best suited to me.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mnanon123)
    The trick it to try and take a small step in a different direction, so that you change the environment and/or the salary, but not the reliance on skills and the job satisfaction. So the options are upwards, ie promotion, could you do a better paid version of what you do now. or sideways, can you do what you do now, but in a different environment. With your skills, you also may have a third option, tougher and rarer, but likely to be more fruitful, could you take a sabbatical from your current job and spend 6-12 months working overseas where your skills are probably much more in demand in some challenging circumstances. That would add to your CV if you came back and wanted to move upwards or sideways, and would almost certainly expand your sideways options.

Basically, think laterally about your current job for things that are like it, but better and work out a path to one of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.