Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should 1(female, 18) be writing and talking to 32 year-old male on Skype? Watch

I am in the process of learning languages hence i signed up to this website where you can exchange contacts with people who know different languages.

I then got a message from someone and without looking at his profile first i started replying that i can exchange fluent English for his native language etc.

I have now come to the realization that he is 32(i looked at his profile) and now what?
    HELP

Lets hope he is not a pedophile

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it for now. Keep it professional and light, if he is inappropriate in any way then just stop talking/remove him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If he was, he wouldn't be interested in you...

You're worrying about nothing. If the conversation goes somewhere you don't like, stop the conversation. Them being older than you doesn't mean you stop having common sense...

ReputationRep:
    I am in the process of learning languages hence i signed up to this website where you can exchange contacts with people who know different languages.

I then got a message from someone and without looking at his profile first i started replying that i can exchange fluent English for his native language etc.

I have now come to the realization that he is 32(i looked at his profile) and now what?
    HELP

talking never hurt anyone!

just because someone is older does not make them bad. thousands of people are in relationships with huge age differences so just talking or being friends is no one elses business but your. Just be happy and safe!

ReputationRep:
    HELP

you're 18 for gawds sake, not 8

Spoiler:
    Show

jeez, some people on here..
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    1) You're 18, you can talk to whoever you like.
    2) A paedophile wouldn't be interested in an 18 year old; perhaps a hebephile if you are underdeveloped, but certainly not a paedophile.
    3) Many, in fact most, paedophiles do not become sexual offenders. One has an uncontrollable sexual attraction which harms nobody, the other engages in sexually deviant behaviour.

That all being said, do as you please :lol:

ReputationRep:
    As others have said.

If you were 8 and he was 32 years old it would be a bit creepy.

And if you were 18 and he was 320 years old it would be a bit creepy (for entirely different reasons).

But as you describe it there isn't anything obviously wrong with the situation.

ReputationRep:
    hey, you are technically an adult by law, so do whatever you wish
    if you want to keep it light and breezy - then you keep it light and breezy....

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.