Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TV license at uni..or a lack of it watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are there many students without a tv license but with a tv? do you know many taht do that and do many get caught??

ReputationRep:
    I know that they know which rooms do not have licenses, and that it is not unknown for them to come and do spot checks.

Frankly it is worth paying the money for the license than for the fine. Or a better solution, don't watch TV, it's all crap .

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit to not bothering when i lived in halls a few years ago (what a rebel ). Apparently, they have to have permission to come onto university campuses to check, and more often or not, the halls of residence don't allow them... or if they do, they provide students advance warning to 'hide their tv'. You could also argue you only use it to watch videos (obviously you would need a video to get away with this one!!!!). The TV licensing people sent out letters to random people saying 'we know you have a tv and will be around to check etc etc'... however, this was evidently random as people without tv's got the letters (I didn't get one).

Since my 1st year, we've tended to buy a license as a house - not worth the hassle of getting caught. Also, at the end of the academic year, you can refund your license for the months not required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    , they have to have permission to come onto university campuses to check, and more often or not, the halls of residence don't allow them...
    Universitys generally accept that students are adults and don't need to be protected. They're not going to cause trouble for themselves with the TVLA to protect you. And if they do refuse to allow inspectors onto campuses, then the inspectors will simply apply for a warrant to allow them enter the premises. It really isn't worth the hassle for them. Inspectors can't enter your rooms without your permission, but again they can obtain a warrant if they can show they have a reasonable suspicion you have a tv and no license.

ReputationRep:
    BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!

Whilst I thought that I would be able to have my license refunded for the months not required in the academic year, I phoned up the TV Licensing people, who told me that I could NOT have a refund.

Why?

Well, I was a good little boy and took out the license when I started Uni (around September 24th, I think). I ended the academic year on the 20th of June, and therefore had three months remaining. When I got the license, I was told I could be refunded for the quarter.

However, when I contacted them in June, they said that I could *not* have a refund, because they only refund for a 4 month block. I suggested to them that I could have been breaking the law and not registered until the end of October, thus meaning I could have a refund on the 4 month block. There response was it would not be wise. BUT, think about it - how the hell are they going to know if all students didn't get licenses until the end of October. You're telling me that they'll sit outside EVERY SINGLE University Halls of Residence across the country? I don't think so. They said that "they could not possibly comment", however I am extremely peeved off.

Whilst I am probably breaking many laws in promoting such illegal activity, I would *personally suggest* that you wait until the end of October, get your license and then get your 4 month block refund when you finish.

If someone out there can perhaps clarify if I'm wrong, it would be appriciated, because I am confused when I was told on the one hand it had to be a 3 month block, whereas on the other it had to be a 4 month block.

Tim.

ReputationRep:
    i managed to get a refund on a 4 month block without any problems. Didn't get my license until the beginning of Oct.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have to let them into the halls or your room. Tell the TVLA to do one, tell them nothing! Despite what they say you are not obliged to answer any of their questions or even give your name.

They called round when I had a house and the inspector told me that I needed a licence to for my Playstation 2. I phoned T.V.L.A. hq who confirmed that this is complete rubbish.

Despite this they still followed up with various letters threatening to prosecute me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    i managed to get a refund on a 4 month block without any problems. Didn't get my license until the beginning of Oct.
    Glad to hear it. I was told I could get a refund on a 3 month block, but then when it came to getting it, they told me it had to be a 4 month block

Tim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GayBoy)
    Are there many students without a tv license but with a tv? do you know many taht do that and do many get caught??
    I'm not getting one, but I am taking my television. hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I'm not getting one, but I am taking my television. hehe
    Tread carefully - always have a Video or DVD in the respective players if you're taking one - at least then you can claim you have other uses.

It's better when you get into a house in the 2nd / 3rd years - you only take one license out for however many of you.

So instead of near £120 each as it was last year, each room in the flat needing a license as technically they were each seperate addresses; with the house between 4 of us, 1 license, £30 each. Sounds good to me !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Tread carefully - always have a Video or DVD in the respective players if you're taking one - at least then you can claim you have other uses.

It's better when you get into a house in the 2nd / 3rd years - you only take one license out for however many of you.

So instead of near £120 each as it was last year, each room in the flat needing a license as technically they were each seperate addresses; with the house between 4 of us, 1 license, £30 each. Sounds good to me !

Thats cool. But do you really need one while in halls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    You dont have to let them into the halls or your room. Tell the TVLA to do one, tell them nothing! Despite what they say you are not obliged to answer any of their questions or even give your name.

They called round when I had a house and the inspector told me that I needed a licence to for my Playstation 2. I phoned T.V.L.A. hq who confirmed that this is complete rubbish.

Despite this they still followed up with various letters threatening to prosecute me.
    You only need a license for any piece of equipment which is capable of recieving a television transmission. So if you have a TV you need a license even if you don't use it - however if you convert the TV to not recieve transmissions you do not need to have a license. In the long run it's better to actually answer their questions. Don't you need a TV in order to play on your PS2?

I for one will get TV license as I actually respect the law - it's there for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Thats cool. But do you really need one while in halls?
    With the way that they can pinpoint where transmissions are being recieved nowadays down to a room....... then YEP !

The key spot check time is mid to late October - by then, they know that students are in they accommodation, and have had a few weeks for the "benefit of the doubt" to wear thin on the Inspectors.

With the way you can set up Direct Debits to take money out in installments, it's not even as if you have to have £120 taken out in one mean chunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    You only need a license for any piece of equipment which is capable of recieving a television transmission. So if you have a TV you need a license even if you don't use it
    No offence mate but this is a common misconception.

Even the T.V.L.A. website told people that the only time a licence was required was if you were actually recieving broadcast pictures. You do not need one to watch DVD's / videios or play a games console.

You do not need to physically modify your set in any way in order to comply with this. Simply disconnecting it from the airial and ensuring that it is not tuned in is techincally enough.

Interestingly enough the above information was removed from the T.V.L.A. website probably with a view to getting more people into buying a licence.

Just to clarify you DO NOT need a licence unless you are actually watching t.v. Merley possesing a t.v. does not require a licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    Don't you need a TV in order to play on your PS2?
    Not really, you can buy LED monitors which do not need licenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk)
    We understand that most students do not need the final 3 months of their TV Licence as they leave the campus during the summer. Provided you don't need your licence again before it expires, you can claim for any completely unused quarters (three consecutive calendar months, e.g. July, August and September).

Most students would therefore need to buy a TV Licence at the beginning of term in October in order to allow enough time at the end of the term year to qualify for a refund. But remember to get your licence as soon as you need it, because leaving it late could prove very costly.

ReputationRep:
    The TVLA can only access any premises with a warrant, the only force (as far as I know) who can enter a property without a warrant is Customs and Excise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The TVLA can only access any premises with a warrant, the only force (as far as I know) who can enter a property without a warrant is Customs and Excise.
    Rubbish - they can knock on the door and ask to come in, and universities usually let them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Rubbish - they can knock on the door and ask to come in, and universities usually let them.
    Sorry, I should have been clear, they must obtain a warrant if the owners of the premeses don't let them in

ReputationRep:
    They don't need to come in!! They sit outside with their detectors and they can tell which rooms are receiving a signal. Then they send the fine in the post - they don't need to come in.

So you wont be able to use the old 'well i only use it for my dvd/playstation/video' - cos they'll know damn well whether you've been receiving a signal or not

Fine = £1,000
    License - £120ish

Which would you choose?!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.