Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I were reading, "Of Mice and Men" in 1938 as an American, what would my response be to how Crooks is portrayed in terms of race, class and age?

ReputationRep:
    You can use the use of the word "******" instead of his name to show how casual racism was back then, It was not seen as extreme and no one seems shocked by the use of it, you could also infer how that due to him not being allowed to go inside the main sleeping shack or come to the town to go to the cathouse (Brothel) that he is a 2nd class citizen.

He is also very afraid of other people, as seen when he is scared of lenny going in his area as violence against blacks was rather common and seen as acceptabe by most.

Hope this helps. and remember you can write the word "******" down in the exam as it is a quote. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Show how he was segregated and given a derogatory name.

Talk about his loneliness and how people don't want to be with him.

However you can also talk about how he had gold rimmed spectacles something like that and this can emphasis the fact that his knowledge is extensive or something like that?? Also, he reads many books and has the rule book about law?? Sorry can't remember but goodluck my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpmebecuzimfkd)
    If I were reading, "Of Mice and Men" in 1938 as an American, what would my response be to how Crooks is portrayed in terms of race, class and age?
    Along with many other books he has a copy of the California Civil Code 1905 which would have been useless considering it was the 1930s. You could say that this is a symbol that no matter how much he tries to improve/educate himself that, like the book, it would have been futile because of the way he was treated in that time period.

I think it says something about the books he has being worn or ripped, too? (It's been a long time since I last read this sorry ) This is a sign that it's been read a lot so you could link that back to his intelligence.

I don't know the exact line but he has gold glasses ''hung'' on his wall. Gold is sign of success and prosperity and glasses are a sign of intelligence. ''Hung'' can be linked to death so it shows that his chances of being successful and being able to use his intelligence are also, metaphorically, ''dead'' due to his race.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.