Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever been this way? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya TSR folks!

For some time I've been losing my ability to concentrate for long periods of time. I haven't been able to read a whole book in 1-2 years. Recently noticed that I can't really stay still and have been quite hyper (I sometimes am but now more than usual). My memory has become awful as well. Most importantly, I feel as though I'm losing my intelligence which sounds silly now that I say (write) it. My grades are tanking a little and after receiving a lacklustre grade in my best subject it's hit me that I'm not doing so well. Feels a bit like my brain is shutting down. But the reason I'm feeling a little *****y right now is because I'm losing my most prized asset, without my intelligence I am nothing. Anyone ever been this way? What did you do?
    Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    Hiya TSR folks!

For some time I've been losing my ability to concentrate for long periods of time. I haven't been able to read a whole book in 1-2 years. Recently noticed that I can't really stay still and have been quite hyper (I sometimes am but now more than usual). My memory has become awful as well. Most importantly, I feel as though I'm losing my intelligence which sounds silly now that I say (write) it. My grades are tanking a little and after receiving a lacklustre grade in my best subject it's hit me that I'm not doing so well. Feels a bit like my brain is shutting down. But the reason I'm feeling a little *****y right now is because I'm losing my most prized asset, without my intelligence I am nothing. Anyone ever been this way? What did you do?
    Thanks.
    Talk to your doctor first to check it isn't to do with something like a vitamin or hormone deficiency. Things like hypothyroidism, anaemia, vitamin D deficiency etc etc can cause problems like this because your brain basically doesn't get quite enough of the stuff it needs to work. It's a simple blood test to check for those sorts of issues so it's totally worth looking into.

If that doesn't come up with anything or you feel this sounds more likely you can look into things like dyslexia or ADD/ ADHD. It's quite common for learning difficulties to only really become noticeable as you get older and are put under more pressure. Like dyslexia can often stay unnoticed until uni when reading becomes much more of a big deal. As a child or even as an adult people can unknowingly come up with coping mechanisms which make it less noticeable that they have a condition.

Stress and mental health issues can also have these sorts of effect so that may be worth looking into as well. Often stress can exaggerate any underlying issues like a bit of dyslexia or poor eyesight that you would usually compensate for.

You can google any of this to get a better idea of what it is, but I do suggest you see a doctor since they are the best way to access help and advice.
    All of these things are more common than you might think so you're not alone and there is support out there. Even here on TSR there are support groups for a bunch of them. It's not that unusual, but is definitely something that you can and should get help for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Talk to your doctor first to check it isn't to do with something like a vitamin or hormone deficiency. Things like hypothyroidism, anaemia, vitamin D deficiency etc etc can cause problems like this because your brain basically doesn't get quite enough of the stuff it needs to work. It's a simple blood test to check for those sorts of issues so it's totally worth looking into.

If that doesn't come up with anything or you feel this sounds more likely you can look into things like dyslexia or ADD/ ADHD. It's quite common for learning difficulties to only really become noticeable as you get older and are put under more pressure. Like dyslexia can often stay unnoticed until uni when reading becomes much more of a big deal. As a child or even as an adult people can unknowingly come up with coping mechanisms which make it less noticeable that they have a condition.

Stress and mental health issues can also have these sorts of effect so that may be worth looking into as well. Often stress can exaggerate any underlying issues like a bit of dyslexia or poor eyesight that you would usually compensate for.

You can google any of this to get a better idea of what it is, but I do suggest you see a doctor since they are the best way to access help and advice.
    All of these things are more common than you might think so you're not alone and there is support out there. Even here on TSR there are support groups for a bunch of them. It's not that unusual, but is definitely something that you can and should get help for.
    I have a moderate vitamin D deficiency which I take supplements for, no other known deficiencies. I could be having issues with B12 since I have high levels which I was told could be due to my body not absorbing the B12 and I know B12 deficiency can cause neurological symptoms although I've had high B12 for years. Perhaps I could get this checked out.

Definitely not dyslexia, I have weak prescription glasses but I haven't worn them recently. I don't need them really, my eyesight is generally good. Maybe could be ADD/ADHD but I don't know...

I just don't like the feeling of losing control, my head has been a little all over the place recently.

I'm not the type to use support groups but thanks anyways, I'll try to see a doc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.