Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    Do you really think a banker is gonna find the fact that you were a 'business captain' (whatever that means) at sixth form impressive?

Being passionate about finance and studying a finance-related degree are two different things. You can be interested in finance and not study a finance-related degree and vice versa. Studying a finance-related degree isn't the only way of showing your interest.

They look for people who are genuinely interested, because if you're going to be working 90 hour weeks, then you best be interested (or at least pretend you are) otherwise the attrition rate would be way too high.
    its a club, i am the head of that club thats what it means and yes that is impressive seeing that its a first year spring week and ive been at uni for 2 months, i aint gonna write 'member of finance society' as a main point as all ive done is attended a couple of events.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)

Being passionate about finance and studying a finance-related degree are two different things. You can be interested in finance and not study a finance-related degree and vice versa. Studying a finance-related degree isn't the only way of showing your interest.

They look for people who are genuinely interested, because if you're going to be working 90 hour weeks, then you best be interested (or at least pretend you are) otherwise the attrition rate would be way too high.
    Being passionate doesn't mean that you're going to be a competent and capable person. Most people can pretend to be slightly passionate and get away with it. Are you an investment banker? Have you done an internship? I can tell you for sure that whilst people can appreciate it all for what impact it has on businesses but no one will tell you that they enjoy it a lot. And the IBs are not stupid to know this.

They keep their attrition rates low by filtering out incompetent students through tests and interviews as well as their whole target/semi target/non target system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samendra)
    its a club, i am the head of that club thats what it means and yes that is impressive seeing that its a first year spring week and ive been at uni for 2 months, i aint gonna write 'member of finance society' as a main point as all ive done is attended a couple of events.
    Wannabe investment bankers are the worst people to go to for advice, they're always going to put you down to feel superior. Yes, this is impressive. IBs are tough but theyre not dumb enough to not regard this as passion.

ReputationRep:
    keep it on your cv, shows leadership and interest. although following on from what mike said, it's not impressive in of itself but if you have points discussing some technical jargos or what not such as cash flows / margins on your bullet points it adds grit and portrays a form of validity. you want to sound geniuenly impressive and ahead of your peers at whatever stage you are, so spinning things is a good skill to know.

all in all your profile is good, just have a good structure in CV and cover letters to ensure perfectness of display and make it visually appealing. as previously said, these documents are skim read and generally people like to just see impressive titles.. some good grades and some interesting ECs. something interesting enough to make them want to bring you in for interviews.

for instance, i had 1 final round interview and the only thing we discussed was my skating youtube channel where he asked me to get out my phone and we just watched a video i made and then had a chill chat afterward. i've said this many a time... granted you pass all the tests and entry req's the questiong becomes "is this person interesting enough to work x hours a day with". it's a people game.

your youtube physics thing is quite cool it's hard to say whether your avg. or whatever because everyone has different interests and what not so it's no direct comparison. obvs if you've done some experiene within a bank or something before that will count in your favour, albeit at your stage.. it's just a general show of displaying competencies and its hard to decide who's better than another, so i find the whole process in grad recruitment to be quite random.

(Original post by topdawgent)
    Being passionate doesn't mean that you're going to be a competent and capable person. Most people can pretend to be slightly passionate and get away with it. Are you an investment banker? Have you done an internship? I can tell you for sure that whilst people can appreciate it all for what impact it has on businesses but no one will tell you that they enjoy it a lot. And the IBs are not stupid to know this.

They keep their attrition rates low by filtering out incompetent students through tests and interviews as well as their whole target/semi target/non target system.
    what mike has said pretty much stands to reason. passion is something that is a prime indicator of competence. to be frank, the role isn't complex.. and most people who aren't complete idiots could do it. the question becomes who is willing to stick it out and who is hungry enough that they will offer up so much of their early 20s to fill the role. i know during my time on internships i was told that one thing we were being tested on is simply endurance and whether or not we were commited enough to hack it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    keep it on your cv, shows leadership and interest. although following on from what mike said, it's not impressive in of itself but if you have points discussing some technical jargos or what not such as cash flows / margins on your bullet points it adds grit and portrays a form of validity. you want to sound geniuenly impressive and ahead of your peers at whatever stage you are, so spinning things is a good skill to know.

all in all your profile is good, just have a good structure in CV and cover letters to ensure perfectness of display and make it visually appealing. as previously said, these documents are skim read and generally people like to just see impressive titles.. some good grades and some interesting ECs. something interesting enough to make them want to bring you in for interviews.

for instance, i had 1 final round interview and the only thing we discussed was my skating youtube channel where he asked me to get out my phone and we just watched a video i made and then had a chill chat afterward. i've said this many a time... granted you pass all the tests and entry req's the questiong becomes "is this person interesting enough to work x hours a day with". it's a people game.

your youtube physics thing is quite cool it's hard to say whether your avg. or whatever because everyone has different interests and what not so it's no direct comparison. obvs if you've done some experiene within a bank or something before that will count in your favour, albeit at your stage.. it's just a general show of displaying competencies and its hard to decide who's better than another, so i find the whole process in grad recruitment to be quite random.
    oh cool, yea i expanded more in my CV but didnt want to put everything online. thanks for the input hopefully I get a nice interviewer. How were your interview's for SWs did they include a lot of technical Q's or mainly competency and culture based ones?

ReputationRep:
    oh cool, yea i expanded more in my CV but didnt want to put everything online. thanks for the input hopefully I get a nice interviewer. How were your interview's for SWs did they include a lot of technical Q's or mainly competency and culture based ones?
    the latter, had a few questions that required me to think a little like "if a client gave you £1m how would you invest it" and what not. but generally technical questions come off the sw exit interviews and summer apps, where i got some deeper technical questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    the latter, had a few questions that required me to think a little like "if a client gave you £1m how would you invest it" and what not. but generally technical questions come off the sw exit interviews and summer apps, where i got some deeper technical questions.
    did u keep with the news a lot and aware of some good investments to make, how did u prep for interviews?

ReputationRep:
    did u keep with the news a lot and aware of some good investments to make, how did u prep for interviews?
    i study finance, so explained rationale behind portfolio theory, diversification, risk/return analysis, trends in global developments at the time, liquidity parameters, time horizons, cash needs, hedging concerns.

regarding preperations, would recommend writing down some key thngs you've done in life work/ECs/projects and extracting a few points to demonstrate competencies for each: leadership, teamwork, communication, initiative and the likes

ReputationRep:

I did spring weeks at GS/JPM/MS, converted one into a summer and am now an incoming analyst, so I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to recruitment processes after 1. having been through the process myself successfully and 2. having spoken to the recruitment teams at various banks.

What's your background? Interesting how you made your account just recently...

Wannabe investment bankers are the worst people to go to for advice, they're always going to put you down to feel superior. Yes, this is impressive. IBs are tough but theyre not dumb enough to not regard this as passion.
    Again, not a wannabe investment banker. Not putting OP down, just being realistic. If you can't take basic criticism like this then you'll never survive in banking lmao

ReputationRep:
    I go to a semi-target. Have done summer internship in banks, set up my own charity + quite a bit of other stuff. I applied to 20+ firms in my first year for SW and summer, and only got 2 interviews. Did my SW eventually at a non-bank and have landed a BB offer this summer.

Most people get penultimate year summer internships without a SW anyway. SW dosent mean a lot if you dont convert it at the end of the day. Focus on getting a summer in as well in your 1st year. But I think your profile is decent and should have a good shot(with lots of luck as well)

ReputationRep:
    I know there is no way to tell if this is good enough but, I want your opinion on if this is better than average or average or below average for a spring week applicant. I go to a target for a physics degree.
    just gonna bullet point CV:
    Charity week leader
    - led a group of 30
    - raised £500 in a week
    Uni of surrey work exp as a physics intern
    - presented to academics about researched
    - worked in a group of 5 to come up with ideas for research
    - actually researched
    Business Subject Captain (for sixth form)
    - orgainsed speakers from unis
    - recruited members
    - gave presentations
    Environmental Officer (for sixth form)
    - made improvements to the way the school handles waste
    - made recommendations which were implemented

Extras: Table tennis caption from yr 9-11, Cricket club member
    Youtube channel about physics, confident in html, completed MOOC on finance, Young enterprise program, IFS challenge (best in school).

I just want an honest opinion as I am unsure about the calibre of students I am up against, and obvs my CV isnt like this, i just summerised it into a short sentence per line. Thanks!
    I would post your CV on WSO. They will give you much more credible advice.

In ADDITION....

I've seen some spring week CVs and let me tell you...

They're mental. You can see them on WSO.

Edit: Some people on here have given some good advice, I am mistaken somewhat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makrxx)
    I go to a semi-target. Have done summer internship in banks, set up my own charity + quite a bit of other stuff. I applied to 20+ firms in my first year for SW and summer, and only got 2 interviews. Did my SW eventually at a non-bank and have landed a BB offer this summer.

Most people get penultimate year summer internships without a SW anyway. SW dosent mean a lot if you dont convert it at the end of the day. Focus on getting a summer in as well in your 1st year. But I think your profile is decent and should have a good shot(with lots of luck as well)
    omg thx this was good advice friend

( no sarcasm I am just weird)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.