Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How difficult is it to change from maths to maths and computer science at the start of your course or before you have started it? Would it be relatively easy because they are similar in content and the grade requirements for maths are higher (A*A*A for maths but A*AA for maths and comp sci)?

ReputationRep:
    ez

(Original post by RegrettingAS)
    ez
    Lol did you mean easy by that? XD
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalTree007)
    How difficult is it to change from maths to maths and computer science at the start of your course or before you have started it? Would it be relatively easy because they are similar in content and the grade requirements for maths are higher (A*A*A for maths but A*AA for maths and comp sci)?
    I assume that you're currently an applicant waiting to get their results? If this is correct then, if you get an offer, I would suggest that you contact the college that has accepted you as soon as possible. However, I would not get your hopes up because whilst I don't know the official procedures, I think switching to Maths and Computer Science would not be easy because the Computer Science department doesn't know anything about you. Even if they were to allow that, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd want to re-interview you first.

(Original post by Plagioclase)
    I assume that you're currently an applicant waiting to get their results? If this is correct then, if you get an offer, I would suggest that you contact the college that has accepted you as soon as possible. However, I would not get your hopes up because whilst I don't know the official procedures, I think switching to Maths and Computer Science would not be easy because the Computer Science department doesn't know anything about you. Even if they were to allow that, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd want to re-interview you first.
    Yes, you are correct in assuming that I'm an applicant waiting for a decision (I hope this post doesn't jynx me though O.O!). I just thought it might be a *relatively* easy switch because the courses have like 50% shared content and because maths has higher entry requirements... I guess I'll just see whether I got an offer in the first place 😬. By the way, If I were to self-teach myself some programming (which I plan to do regardless of whether I switch), do you think the chances of it being successful would be higher?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalTree007)
    Yes, you are correct in assuming that I'm an applicant waiting for a decision (I hope this post doesn't jynx me though O.O!). I just thought it might be a *relatively* easy switch because the courses have like 50% shared content and because maths has higher entry requirements... I guess I'll just see whether I got an offer in the first place 😬. By the way, If I were to self-teach myself some programming (which I plan to do regardless of whether I switch), do you think the chances of it being successful would be higher?
    I'm not a Computer Scientist so I don't know for sure. If it is possible to switch (and that's a very big 'if') then they're definitely going to want to see evidence that you know what you're getting yourself into but on the other hand, knowing how to program isn't a prerequisite for their CompSci course. Having said that, it's not particularly difficult to self-teach yourself a simple language like Python so if you've got the time, go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    This sums up the situation pretty well. If the college is willing to consider the transfer, they almost certainly would want to give you a CS interview.

OP: you will need to give a good explanation of why you want to change. Also, there is an issue that your college has probably filled all its Computer Science places (although there is sometimes a bit of flexibility).

Gavin

ReputationRep:
    I have known people who changed courses. It is possible, but not easy, involving interviews (as stated) and sometimes a 'trial' period where you need to not fall behind in either course which is super stressful.

Learning some programming would not be a negative and is probably worth it for you to demonstrate you're serious if nothing else. Make enquiries early.

ReputationRep:
    Not straightforward. Each course will have a quota of places, which are finely balanced. A transfer would involve maths losing a place and computer science gaining a place. Computer science would want to know why you applied for maths and then lost interest 3 months down the line, before you had even started the course. That doesn't augur well for your motivation and perseverance. Secondly they might suspect that you are shopping around for an "easier" course, and would reject any notion that they are an easier course. Even if their minimum offer is A*AA most of their intake will have exceeded that offer, so they won't be falling over themselves to take you just because you might have an extra A* or two. My advice would be to start the maths course and stick at it for a couple of terms and see if you like it. If you then don't like it you can then ask to switch, and it's more likely that they'll be amenable because they will know you and have invested time in you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.