Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 609010609012609000Attachment 609010609012 for this question , my answer missed out a step compared to the actual answer.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The answer shows that the first step should be reacting the molecules with NABH4 to form an alcohol then you oxidize it. Can you just reduce aldehyde to carboyxlic acid directly ? Thanjs

ReputationRep:
    I think you meant to oxidise the aldehyde to the carboxylic acid, but yes you can.

1/2 the aldehyde to the carboxylic acid, the other half to the alcohol. Esterify.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    The answer shows that the first step should be reacting the molecules with NABH4 to form an alcohol then you oxidize it. Can you just reduce aldehyde to carboyxlic acid directly ? Thanjs
    Aldehyde is not reduced, but oxidise to carboxylic acid. The rest of the reactions, measured by your sketches, seem to be all-right. Can't find a mistake in your esterify. Don't know where a step is missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Aldehyde is not reduced, but oxidise to carboxylic acid. The rest of the reactions, measured by your sketches, seem to be all-right. Can't find a mistake in your esterify. Don't know where a step is missing.
    Name:  1483744871766-288108227.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  395.0 KB the first step of this is what I haven't included. So I am unsure about my answer . Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1483744871766-288108227.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  395.0 KB the first step of this is what I haven't included. So I am unsure about my answer . Thanks
    Oh yeah, I see. You have not included the reaction step for Benzoic acid (C6H5CHO) in your sketch. Would say this step can be excluded, if benzoic acid is in existence as an educt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    I think you meant to oxidise the aldehyde to the carboxylic acid, but yes you can.

1/2 the aldehyde to the carboxylic acid, the other half to the alcohol. Esterify.
    So my reactions steps are also valid?

ReputationRep:
    The image you posted are my (and your) steps.

Nowhere does it show to oxidise the alcohol to the carboxylic acid, the image shows the oxidation (using Cr2O72-/H+) of the aldehyde.

ReputationRep:
    The image you posted are my (and your) steps.

Nowhere does it show to oxidise the alcohol to the carboxylic acid, the image shows the oxidation (using Cr2O72-/H+) of the aldehyde.
    Ok. The actual image actually shows the aldehyde is being reduced to an alcohol by reacting with NaBH4. But what's the point of that if they are oxidising aldehyde to carboyxlic acid in STEP 2?

ReputationRep:
    To make an ester, you need an alcohol and a carboxylic acid.

An aldehyde can be both converted to an alcohol, by reduction AND to a carboxylic acid, by oxidation.

ReputationRep:
    To make an ester, you need an alcohol and a carboxylic acid.

An aldehyde can be both converted to an alcohol, by reduction AND to a carboxylic acid, by oxidation.
    Are you suggesting that the alcohol made in step 1 is used to react with the carboxylic acid in step 3 ?

But I thought since the alcohol is a reagent, you don't need to produce it in order to react it with the carboxylic acid...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The image shows three steps.

Step 1, the reduction of benzaldehyde to phenylmethanol
    Step 2, the oxidation of benzaldehyde to benzoic acid
    Step 3, the esterification of phenylmethanol and benzoic acid to the ester.

ReputationRep:
    The image shows three steps.

Step 1, the reduction of benzaldehyde to phenylmethanol
    Step 2, the oxidation of benzaldehyde to benzoic acid
    Step 3, the esterification of phenylmethanol and benzoic acid to the ester.
    phenylmethanol needs to be produced because the question said you only have 1 organic compound to start with?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    phenylmethanol needs to be produced because the question said you only have 1 organic compound to start with?
    The Q doesn't say "you only have 1 organic compound to start with"

It says "starting with benzaldehyde, C6H5CHO, as the only organic compound."

ReputationRep:
    The Q doesn't say "you only have 1 organic compound to start with"

It says "starting with benzaldehyde, C6H5CHO, as the only organic compound."
    My question is will I lose marks if I didn't write down the reaction of aldehyde with NaBH4 to produce the alcohol. I get that the alcohol reacts with the acid but I am wondering if you don't show how the alcohol is made, is that still okay?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I suspect that you'd lose two marks, one for the reagents and conditions for the conversion and one for the equation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.