The Student Room Group

Can't Grow Up and Live at University?

My friend lives in a rural part of Staffordshire and wants to commute from here to Manchester Met uni next September. She is very close to her mother and gets very anxious about things. I really think she will regret not moving into halls and having the full uni experience. I feel like she will get there and see everybody else having fun and regret not being able to join in.

She is not the most independent of people, so I think she could benefit from moving out and learning things for herself and making new friends, but she is very stubborn and hard to convince. I feel like a commute so strenuous will just lead to her dropping out.

(Also, I'm not saying that all people who live at home don't enjoy uni, it's mainly the fact that this commute will be too much for her, and I don't want to tell her that and put this idea in her head, then she might end up not going all together).

Am I right, and what should I do?
Reply 1
Sounds like shes been locked in at home.
Reply 2
You are right, and you should definitely make the case for halls. I did last year in halls and loved it. Best year of my life. But I'm now in a house, and at a new course at a new uni and it's definitely worse.

She'll regret not being in accommodation for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending