Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it acceptable to stay off school and study? Watch

I have two gcse exams next week and I don't know whether to go into school or stay off... Everyone says it's better to go to school but I disagree, I've learnt all I need to learn for these exams, all I can do is study which I can't do in school either because the teacher wants us to do work they have set or because people are distracting me so I'd prefer to be at home where I can study in peace and at my own pace.

My attendance is 90% and I'm aware that if it goes below 85% then you can get into trouble which I don't want but I'm also sick of saying "I was off due to illness" what will the school do if I'm honest and say I was off because of studying and revision? Surely it's a good reason to stay off? Can you really get into trouble over that?

ReputationRep:
    Are these real GCSE exams or mocks? I wasn't aware that any GCSE exams were taking place so soon...?

I think the benefit of staying in school is that you can ask teachers for help whenever you get stuck on a topic, and your attendance isn't really really high, so I'd suggest reconsidering skipping. The other problem is that you'll be missing out on the work you're being set in other classes, which although might not seem like much soon adds up if you leave it for a week or so.

however, if these are real exams and you really think you can do better by revising at home, then ask your guardian's permission and if they say yes then there probably isn't much harm in it, providing you don't miss loads of days

Generally teachers allow students to get on with their own revision when it comes round to exam time, so perhaps ask your teachers if that's possible? if theyre actual gcse exams i can't see why they wouldn't allow that/let you go sit in the library to revise etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adz234)
    I have two gcse exams next week and I don't know whether to go into school or stay off... Everyone says it's better to go to school but I disagree, I've learnt all I need to learn for these exams, all I can do is study which I can't do in school either because the teacher wants us to do work they have set or because people are distracting me so I'd prefer to be at home where I can study in peace and at my own pace.

My attendance is 90% and I'm aware that if it goes below 85% then you can get into trouble which I don't want but I'm also sick of saying "I was off due to illness" what will the school do if I'm honest and say I was off because of studying and revision? Surely it's a good reason to stay off? Can you really get into trouble over that?
    your attendance is already bad enough

ReputationRep:

In most cases I'd say bunk off but if you're at 90% that's taking the piss a bit, go to school and just revise in lessons-use your earphones if you have to, you've got a week anyway so it's not like you absolutely need the days off you can still revise after school. But with you missing so much school there's a risk the sixth form or college you've applied for won't take you (one of my friends was rejected for sixth form at the school he'd vbeen at since Y7 because of attendance) so like I said, stay in school.

ReputationRep:

Can you get permission from your school to home study? I was allowed to stay off school this way. My attendance wasn't particularly great but the staff knew me and knew that I would actually study and not just take the day off.

ReputationRep:

If these are mocks.. relax. Just go into school. Stick in some music, or ask your teacher if you can go to the library or whatever, the point is register your attendance.

If these are real exams.. **** attendance, it's your GCSEs and I'd give a damn about them, not about some *****y attendance.
    Unless the punishment is really bad. Like if it's some really horribly long detention then allow that, otherwise you evaluate whether it's worth missing. I'd say don't care about it. You'd rather revise at home, that's your prime revision study place, you'll be more productive there, stay there.

ReputationRep:
    when I had my chemistry GCSEs the day before people in my school called in saying "they were sick" seemed like a genius plan until barely anyone was in school 😂 I doubt you would get into trouble though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think attendance was so important lmao. **** I took 2 weeks off in year 12 to study for my exams.

If they're your real exams and you have motivation to work at home, then go ahead.

ReputationRep:

If they're mocks then I don't really see the point. However, with real exams, a few days wouldn't hurt if it's actually going to benefit you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.