Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it better to stay and get hurt or leave and be lonely? Watch

In this scenario what would you do?

when someone you were once so close to contacts you after a long time

and they're the only person in the world who wants a conversation with you and never forgot about you

but you cut each other off a year ago

you reply and have a little catch up, they're charismatic and it's nice to hear from them and speak to somebody who cares

do you bother to reconnect again knowing that it'll only be temporary and you may eventually get hurt by this person like last time?

or do decide to stay distant and just not reply for a second conversation and go back to being sad and lonely, but keep checking your phone wishing they'd message again?

ReputationRep:
    Follow your heart. I would probably go for it, but then I tend to make a lot of mistakes. Some say always look forward, never backwards which might well be good advice too.

(Original post by Zarek)
    Follow your heart. I would probably go for it, but then I tend to make a lot of mistakes. Some say always look forward, never backwards which might well be good advice too.
    Thank you. I ended the conversation this morning before work and never responded to the reply after that.

As much as I appreciate that they made the effort to speak to me, It just isn't worth getting involved all over again. Especially when this person has loads of attention and people chasing after them, I don't really understand why I was contacted, it has messed with my head.

Just wanted to know what other people would do in this situation
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it isn't worth it, you'll only get hurt again and I have been through this many times, it hurts.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah water under the bridge I'd rather be lonely forever than go back wistfully and whimsically to old ground.

(Original post by Rhythmical)
    In my opinion it isn't worth it, you'll only get hurt again and I have been through this many times, it hurts.
    True

It already hurts to have to forget about them all over again after that catch up
    • Political Ambassador

If you say you'll end up getting attached and experience the hurt all over again, might as well just leave before it happens.

ReputationRep:
    Leave and be lonely is the smart/less hurtful advice. The ol' "Stay and get hurt" used to appeal to me. :dunce:

Depends how old you are :flower2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In this scenario what would you do?

when someone you were once so close to contacts you after a long time

and they're the only person in the world who wants a conversation with you and never forgot about you

but you cut each other off a year ago

you reply and have a little catch up, they're charismatic and it's nice to hear from them and speak to somebody who cares

do you bother to reconnect again knowing that it'll only be temporary and you may eventually get hurt by this person like last time?

or do decide to stay distant and just not reply for a second conversation and go back to being sad and lonely, but keep checking your phone wishing they'd message again?
    people always change, never have an ego and go for it, talk about it and make a mutual agreement and go for it... let destiny swing it in the direction its meant to go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.