Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leaving my job at McDonald's after only one month?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm 16 and I began working at one of my local McDonald's stores in mid-December 2016.

I wouldn't say I'm COMPLETELY hating it, and I would suck it up if I had to, but I just don't feel very happy atm and resent the thought of going in every shift! The staff don't seem to want to be friends with me at all and it all seems very 'cliquey' and hostile, especially as a new member. I've been as friendly as possible, smiley and bubbly, but that's come to no avail as I'm clearly just inadequate enough to them that they'd basically just give me a wide berth.

The pay isn't awesome, but in a way I'm counting my blessings that I'm even earning something as I found it pretty difficult just to land this job; I'm also taking into account that I'm 16, so the MW will be bog standard for my age. However, I'm hoping that it'll be a little easier should I move onto new pastures as I do now have some work experience.

I've been looking at some jobs in my area, and there are a few that've caught my eye and would fit my specification, and that pay slightly better. However, I'm in two minds as to whether I should throw the towel in at McDonald's so soon, given I've only been there a month and if sticking it out a little longer would be a better solution! Obviously I don't want to become a jobhopper who raises eyebrows as they've never held a job down for five minutes, but what I really want more than anything is to be in an environment where I'm appreciated and valued as a person, and I feel that my skills are more rewarded; I feel like more of a number at McDonald's and just a passenger.

What do you think?!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it looks like a crap place to work. This said work ethic and resilience are important traits to cultivate and most all jobs have negative aspects. Unless you're very unhappy why not search out something better before you jack it in.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesssgreaves)
    So, I'm 16 and I began working at one of my local McDonald's stores in mid-December 2016.

I wouldn't say I'm COMPLETELY hating it, and I would suck it up if I had to, but I just don't feel very happy atm and resent the thought of going in every shift! The staff don't seem to want to be friends with me at all and it all seems very 'cliquey' and hostile, especially as a new member. I've been as friendly as possible, smiley and bubbly, but that's come to no avail as I'm clearly just inadequate enough to them that they'd basically just give me a wide berth.

The pay isn't awesome, but in a way I'm counting my blessings that I'm even earning something as I found it pretty difficult just to land this job; I'm also taking into account that I'm 16, so the MW will be bog standard for my age. However, I'm hoping that it'll be a little easier should I move onto new pastures as I do now have some work experience.

I've been looking at some jobs in my area, and there are a few that've caught my eye and would fit my specification, and that pay slightly better. However, I'm in two minds as to whether I should throw the towel in at McDonald's so soon, given I've only been there a month and if sticking it out a little longer would be a better solution! Obviously I don't want to become a jobhopper who raises eyebrows as they've never held a job down for five minutes, but what I really want more than anything is to be in an environment where I'm appreciated and valued as a person, and I feel that my skills are more rewarded; I feel like more of a number at McDonald's and just a passenger.

What do you think?!
    Stick with what you've got whilst applying for new jobs. But since you've only worked for a month, you don't have enough work experience for it to be beneficial yet - you've not got enough experience to actually claim useful skills, but you have enough that you probably think you know more than you do (and even if you don't think that, places will think that you do).

But since you're not very experienced, your issues could just be due to that. You don't know what you're doing enough to actually be useful. You might find that as you learn more, you get more valued. the other staff may be used to new staff coming and going (because these sorts of jobs do have high turnover) so when they see you stick around they'll be more friendly.

ReputationRep:
    One month experience is not a lot and leaving after a month may well look worse than having no experience. Keep working while you look for something else, you can then give your reason as 'better hours'/'better location'/'prefer retail' etc but you still look reliable. Also be prepared that you don't work anywhere you feel valued as a 16-18 year old, that's pretty normal.

ReputationRep:
    Stay, one month isn't a lot of work experience to put on to your CV. Stick it out and think about the future. Look for other jobs in the mean time.

ReputationRep:
    Try get another job while you can, when your employed its a lot easier to get another job. Ive worked at Mcdonalds the first year wasnt bad but the final one was, as I had just finsihed uni it was part time for me. But I know exactly what your talking about. Some people there can be so *****y and arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesssgreaves)

What do you think?!
    Carry on working there for now. A job is better than no job and it looks better if you already have a job.
    With mcdonalds, once you have been there a bit longer, it may get better. You are free to look for jobs whenever really- it might take a while to get another one anyway (by which time you will have been at mcdonalds longer). You might not get the first one you apply for.
    If anyone asks at interview why you are wanting to leave mcdonalds, you could always say better hours/better location/better money etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.