Physics help - lenses Watch

Zoe Lea
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am extremely confused about converging lenses and diverging lenses. I am looking at all the information but I don't understand how a converging lens magnifies an image. I looked at the diagram and it doesn't make sense, it looks like it does the opposite and makes things look smaller. My teacher refuses to actually explain anything to me so can someone please help?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya,

Don't worry, I found lenses very challenging to visualise too! There are some really good GCSE videos on YouTube that explain how they work and the size of the image at different positions (how to work out the size and position on diagrams e.t.c).
MoonlightBoo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zoe Lea)
I am extremely confused about converging lenses and diverging lenses. I am looking at all the information but I don't understand how a converging lens magnifies an image. I looked at the diagram and it doesn't make sense, it looks like it does the opposite and makes things look smaller. My teacher refuses to actually explain anything to me so can someone please help?
Hey there,

Magnification actually involves 2 separate lenses. The objective lens collects light and forms and image inside the telescope (low power), and the eyepiece lens actually magnifies it.

If you're talking about just one converging lens, a convex ( converging) lens will act as a magnifying glass if the object is closer to the lens than the focal point. When this is done the rays of light diverge after passing through the lens - to an observer the rays appear to converge at a virtual point (image) behind the lens. This virtual image appears much larger than the object.

Hope I helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%