Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1096 – Drink Driving Penalties Bill 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Having a look, it does mainly depend on state with much incosistency across the states (using the states in this example for obvious reasons)... I do admit I don't know about the UK though, especially as not really sure how much it's happened in the U.K. Tbh; can't imagine much...

If I were to go anywhere with the removing car etc, I'd take it down the route of being the same as if a car is seized and impounded due to no insurance and the same costs there, rather than auctioning it...
    Ok maybe if it wasn't the owner driving, but if it's the owner and the car is not under finance it must be confiscated and sold to young drivers who pass and additional scheme (e.g pass plus) at a discounted rate helping the community and covering the costs involved from the profits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    Ok maybe if it wasn't the owner driving, but if it's the owner and the car is not under finance it must be confiscated and sold to young drivers who pass and additional scheme (e.g pass plus) at a discounted rate helping the community and covering the costs involved from the profits
    Also no matter what amend the hill to include drug driving.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What's that you're saying?? Can't quite hear

Upper boundary can be arranged - (inb4 its 5000 hours ;D)
    I see what you did there :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Do my view on this fit more with UKIP TSR or conservative TSR ?

ReputationRep:
    Getting a £5000 fine is a little excessive and would only make me go home and get more drunk, not sure if it's the right solution

ReputationRep:
    Do my view on this fit more with UKIP TSR or conservative TSR ?
    Either way, they'd both be wrong 🙄
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Also no matter what amend the hill to include drug driving.
    I haven't looked at what they are precisely, but I think the penalties are slightly different (no doubt harsher for drugs...) and so it's not as simple as just adding in the words drugs... though anyone is free to submit a Bill changing the punishments for drug driving.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Getting a £5000 fine is a little excessive and would only make me go home and get more drunk, not sure if it's the right solution
    Well, at least you'd be drinking at home, with not enough money to buy another car to go drink driving in, or for petroleum... Also, not enough money for taxi to the pub, also saving you money on buying supermarket booze rather than pub booze. All problems sorted.

(Original post by zayn008)
    Either way, they'd both be wrong 🙄
    Depends who you ask of course :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Nay, a £5,000 fine is a bit much, seems a bit unreasonable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What's the differentiation between being in charge and driving? Can it also be clarified what is being regarded as a "vehicle " in this bill

I'm also not really sure adding some community service really deters any more than not having it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    There is no justification for that idea which would create a load of bureaucracy for no societal gains.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What's the differentiation between being in charge and driving? Can it also be clarified what is being regarded as a "vehicle " in this bill

I'm also not really sure adding some community service really deters any more than not having it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would think being in charge of a vehicle would be the responsible driver who sits in the passenger seat when an unqualified driver is driving around on L plates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As I have said if it is the owner of the vehicle and it isn't on finance it should be confiscated and sold same if they lend it to someone.

ReputationRep:
    As I have said if it is the owner of the vehicle and it isn't on finance it should be confiscated and sold same if they lend it to someone.
    Registered keeper and owner of a car can be different so that's slightly flawed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Registered keeper and owner of a car can be different so that's slightly flawed.
    As far as I'm concerned the registered keeper has been given the responsibilities of ownership for the period they have the vehichle
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned the registered keeper has been given the responsibilities of ownership for the period they have the vehichle
    And as far as the law is concerned, they don't really care how far you're concerned tbh... :/

ReputationRep:
    And as far as the law is concerned, they don't really care how far you're concerned tbh... :/
    Hear, hear!

ReputationRep:
    They are stil lelgallyl recognised as seperate entities (keeper and owner) so seizing a car when Bob's driving and caught even though it's Jim's is illogical.

Bob should be punished not Jim.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Hear, hear!
    To be honest, I don't even think what I wrote makes grammatical sense, but I'm glad the gist of it comes through :rofl:

-

Alas, I have a 52 books in the year challenge to continue with, and so I am off to read! Comments have been duly noted.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more than happy to instigate mandatory drinking lesson/session which aims to educate the idiots out there that drink drive...!
    Is there a particular reason why this doesn't take the form of an amendment to the relevant legislation?

Think the minimum fine is a bit high but will probably vote in favour.

People's safety on the roads is of tantamount importance and sometimes the state needs to be a bit harsh to keep people safe. Quamquam123
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    That bares no relevance, as far as I can see, to the post

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.