Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Samsung S7 edge or wait for the new iPhone? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've always been an iPhone user... ever since the iPhone 3G. Only thing is, although there have been different versions of iOS, it's always felt the same to me. Plus although I've had new iPhones with newer designs, the whole workings of the phone haven't changed much at all. A few updates to the user interface, but the same old software, but a bigger phone with a better camera.

I always used to get the latest, but still have my iPhone 6. I didn't think the 6S was a big step up, and to me, the 7 in the Apple Store only seemed a bit faster and without a headphone jack. It's like Apple are running out of ideas or something. I remember getting excited about new Apple products, but now it's the same old stuff.

A friend of mine was always an iPhone person, but bought a Samsung S7 edge, and he said he'd never go back to using an iPhone. I bought the S7 edge and thought it was amazing - the software was brilliant, the whole 'edge' thing was so futuristic, the camera was the best I had ever used... plus it had EE's 4G+ speeds of like 170Mbps on 4G! Amazing! I only returned it because I thought it seemed too big.

I wasn't interested in the S7, I loved the design of the S7 edge, but now I'm wishing I never returned it.

Someone said that the next iPhone release will be a special 10th anniversary model with much better things.

But do you think that's guaranteed?

Do I wait and get the next iPhone... which is probably around the same size which I'm used to, or do I go for the Samsung and something more future-proof?

I've noticed a few promotions on the sim free S7 edge recently, but most places have it back up to full price at £600-£629 now so if I were to re-purchase it, it wouldn't be just yet... but what should I do? (I'd do sim free as they usually work out cheaper, and i'd rather pay more upfront anyway, and do a less per month sim only contract).

- Wait for the next iPhone?
    - Or, when it's on it's next promotion, re-buy the S7 edge, enjoy it, and get used to the size? After all, I got used to the size of the iPhone 6 after using the smaller models for years!

ReputationRep:
    iPhones are overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    -Or, when it's on it's next promotion, re-buy the S7 edge, enjoy it, and get used to the size? After all, I got used to the size of the iPhone 6 after using the smaller models for years!
    This, or wait for the S8. 5.5 inches really isn't that big, even if you have small hands.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've always been an iPhone user... ever since the iPhone 3G. Only thing is, although there have been different versions of iOS, it's always felt the same to me. Plus although I've had new iPhones with newer designs, the whole workings of the phone haven't changed much at all. A few updates to the user interface, but the same old software, but a bigger phone with a better camera.

I always used to get the latest, but still have my iPhone 6. I didn't think the 6S was a big step up, and to me, the 7 in the Apple Store only seemed a bit faster and without a headphone jack. It's like Apple are running out of ideas or something. I remember getting excited about new Apple products, but now it's the same old stuff.

A friend of mine was always an iPhone person, but bought a Samsung S7 edge, and he said he'd never go back to using an iPhone. I bought the S7 edge and thought it was amazing - the software was brilliant, the whole 'edge' thing was so futuristic, the camera was the best I had ever used... plus it had EE's 4G+ speeds of like 170Mbps on 4G! Amazing! I only returned it because I thought it seemed too big.

I wasn't interested in the S7, I loved the design of the S7 edge, but now I'm wishing I never returned it.

Someone said that the next iPhone release will be a special 10th anniversary model with much better things.

But do you think that's guaranteed?

Do I wait and get the next iPhone... which is probably around the same size which I'm used to, or do I go for the Samsung and something more future-proof?

I've noticed a few promotions on the sim free S7 edge recently, but most places have it back up to full price at £600-£629 now so if I were to re-purchase it, it wouldn't be just yet... but what should I do? (I'd do sim free as they usually work out cheaper, and i'd rather pay more upfront anyway, and do a less per month sim only contract).

- Wait for the next iPhone?
    - Or, when it's on it's next promotion, re-buy the S7 edge, enjoy it, and get used to the size? After all, I got used to the size of the iPhone 6 after using the smaller models for years!
    The iphone 7s/8 (whatever they call it) will likely be a rehashed S6 edge so go for the s7 edge or wait for the s8.

My flatmate did exactly the same (went from a 6s to a s7 edge) and she loves it. She says she couldn't go back to the small screen on the iphone 6/6s and can't believe how ahead Samsung are in so many areas. She's amazed at the personalisation, screen, size, battery and camera, all better than her 6s which plagued her with issues.

Be smart and go Samsung (or Pixel)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    This, or wait for the S8. 5.5 inches really isn't that big, even if you have small hands.
    (Original post by sebby491)
    The iphone 7s/8 (whatever they call it) will likely be a rehashed S6 edge so go for the s7 edge or wait for the s8.

My flatmate did exactly the same (went from a 6s to a s7 edge) and she loves it. She says she couldn't go back to the small screen on the iphone 6/6s and can't believe how ahead Samsung are in so many areas. She's amazed at the personalisation, screen, size, battery and camera, all better than her 6s which plagued her with issues.

Be smart and go Samsung (or Pixel)
    Thanks everyone!

I'm probably going to order the Samsung S7 edge.

I'll get it SIM free, and keep my SIM only contract as it'll work out cheaper. At the moment, it's on an offer where you can get the samsung gear 2 watch for free with it. Apparently it's worth £179! I won't use the watch, so i'll just sell it, so the S7 edge will work out to be a bargain!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

I'm probably going to order the Samsung S7 edge.

I'll get it SIM free, and keep my SIM only contract as it'll work out cheaper. At the moment, it's on an offer where you can get the samsung gear 2 watch for free with it. Apparently it's worth £179! I won't use the watch, so i'll just sell it, so the S7 edge will work out to be a bargain!
    You sure you don't want to wait for the S8? It's rumoured to come out next month
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You sure you don't want to wait for the S8? It's rumoured to come out next month
    S8 might come without a headphone jack and I'm sure that the OP said that they didn't want that, since they tried the iPhone 7 and it was similar to the 6S but without the headphone port.

I'd say get the S7 Edge now. I hope to get an S7E soon (I currently have an S4) & from what I've heard it is a great phone. Plus if you're on EE, O2 or Vodafone you'll be able to take advantage of carrier aggregation (4G+) to achieve better 4G speeds.

I'll update this if required!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    S8 might come without a headphone jack and I'm sure that the OP said that they didn't want that, since they tried the iPhone 7 and it was similar to the 6S but without the headphone port.

I'd say get the S7 Edge now. I hope to get an S7E soon (I currently have an S4) & from what I've heard it is a great phone. Plus if you're on EE, O2 or Vodafone you'll be able to take advantage of carrier aggregation (4G+) to achieve better 4G speeds.

Hi! I read the S8 will launch in April. I'm just really bored of my iPhone 6 now and I just want something different, plus I want to get the most I can for my iPhone... not sure if I can wait 3 months haha,

thank you though!

ReputationRep:
    buy an s7 edge from carphone warehouse they are giving a free gearfit 2 with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    iPhones are overrated.

(Original post by Angry Bird)
    buy an s7 edge from carphone warehouse they are giving a free gearfit 2 with it
    Hey everyone!

I got the Samsung S7 edge from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk... it was £561.99 which is the cheapest I've seen online (cheapest from the most legit looking website anyway). It comes with a free gear 2 watch too which I need to send off for!

It's early days, but I'm thinking best phone I think i've owned?! Puts the iPhone to the 1990's if I'm honest...

ReputationRep:

Do you think it's worth waiting until the S8 comes out to take advantage of the by then cheaper price of the S7E? Or is the allure of a new model generally too much for most people, and they just end up buying the new model anyway?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Do you think it's worth waiting until the S8 comes out to take advantage of the by then cheaper price of the S7E? Or is the allure of a new model generally too much for most people, and they just end up buying the new model anyway?
    Since I last posted in this thread, I have upgraded myself to an S7E and it is so much better than my old Galaxy S4. I would definitely recommend the S7E to anyone.

As regards to the price, it will be cheaper when the S8 comes up, though it depends on the specs of the S8 as to whether you'll be able to get an S7E or not. If the S8 isn't that good then everyone will buy the S7E and the stocks will dry up.

I just buy a phone as and when my old one needs replacing, and I don't often get new models because they're too expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Since I last posted in this thread, I have upgraded myself to an S7E and it is so much better than my old Galaxy S4. I would definitely recommend the S7E to anyone.

As regards to the price, it will be cheaper when the S8 comes up, though it depends on the specs of the S8 as to whether you'll be able to get an S7E or not. If the S8 isn't that good then everyone will buy the S7E and the stocks will dry up.

I just buy a phone as and when my old one needs replacing, and I don't often get new models because they're too expensive
    If i'm honest, at £561.99, that's a decent price for the S7 edge. I myself probably won't use the watch, so if I got at least £130 for it, that would bring the price of the S7 edge down to £430 which to be honest, is a bargain, and I doubt you'd get it for that price when the S8 comes out.

I'm a bit concerned other manufacturers will copy Apple too in not having the headphone jack, so I'd be quite happy with the S7 edge.

Thanks though everyone!

ReputationRep:

Thanks - that makes perfect sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I got the Samsung S7 edge from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk... it was £561.99 which is the cheapest I've seen online (cheapest from the most legit looking website anyway). It comes with a free gear 2 watch too which I need to send off for!

It's early days, but I'm thinking best phone I think i've owned?! Puts the iPhone to the 1990's if I'm honest...
    does the gear fit 2 and s7 edge come in one delivery? I bought the s7 edge for 600 so I could just return it buy it again and get the gear fit 2

ReputationRep:
    You can get a Gear VR at the moment for £35 as well which is well worth it. They're customer returned units so I'd want to give it a good clean.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1319462988...911&rmvSB=true

ReputationRep:
    2scotty is the free gear fit 2 offer still on and does it come with the phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Bird)
    2scotty is the free gear fit 2 offer still on and does it come with the phone?
    Yes it's still on, but you have to send off a claim 30 days after purchasing the phone and then you'll receive it. Its only from selected retailers though like Carphone Warehouse or Mobile Phones Direct website.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.