The Student Room Group

What a levels should I choose? (Advice from sixth formers plz)

I've just got my GCSE mock results and I have to choose my A levels but due to the new spec my school and most others have cut out AS levels so you can either do three a levels for the full two years and maybe four in special circumstances.
I'm not sure if I maybe want to go down the biochem route or the physics routs career wise therefore I'm struggling to choose whether to do three or four
My mock results are:
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 7
Maths - 7 (but the edexcel mock was really hard and our school average was really low and we are a grammar school too)
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Physics - A*
Business - A*
Geog - A
Spanish - A
History - A*
Any advice on how hard they are and whether I can do four
I would advise only to do three as A-Levels are very hard. I myself did physics AS and believe it to be the biggest mistake of my life! It was much harder than I thought! Ugh

If you want to do physics, you have to do maths as well! I didn't and I didn't understand a thing!

It seems like you are very science-y and so will be looking to do either Bio, Chem, Physics or/and Maths. The best thing to do is to have a look at some uni courses you may be interested in taking and seeing what subjects they want. Some Physics courses want maths but not necessary physics. Some biochem want chem and maths but no bio.
Original post by Hit_It__
I've just got my GCSE mock results and I have to choose my A levels but due to the new spec my school and most others have cut out AS levels so you can either do three a levels for the full two years and maybe four in special circumstances.
I'm not sure if I maybe want to go down the biochem route or the physics routs career wise therefore I'm struggling to choose whether to do three or four
My mock results are:
English Lit - 9
English Lang - 7
Maths - 7 (but the edexcel mock was really hard and our school average was really low and we are a grammar school too)
Bio - A*
Chem - A*
Physics - A*
Business - A*
Geog - A
Spanish - A
History - A*
Any advice on how hard they are and whether I can do four

Hi, personally i cannot offer advice on science but I can tell you that 3 A Levels are very challenging to keep up with and achieve high grades. Also, universities do not give offers for 4 A Levels, so you only need 3. You are clearly a very competent person so I'm sure you will succeed what ever you choose, as long as you are prepared to work hard and you have a passion for it. I don't know about your school but I was able to take 4 subjects because I was unsure on which ones i wanted to do and I was allowed to drop one in the first couple of weeks. This is useful if you have trouble deciding and then you can make a more informed choice because you will see what you will have to be doing in the course. Also ask your subject teachers as even talking about the pros and cons can help you make a decision. Good luck in your choice. x

Quick Reply

Latest