Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of looking for people who have had work experience in games companies doing animation and game design - and I'm wondering how did you apply to work there because I've been trying for ages and I haven't gotten a thing. Should I go abroad or nah?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lhoque)
    I'm kind of looking for people who have had work experience in games companies doing animation and game design - and I'm wondering how did you apply to work there because I've been trying for ages and I haven't gotten a thing. Should I go abroad or nah?
    Not in a games company, but I did work experience for 5 weeks with an animation company helping with their work and they taught me a bunch of stuff. You just have to keep asking. Don't just stick to really big places, ask the smaller companies as well. I got mine because I was friends with one of the people who worked there, and became friends with the owner online. I explained I was looking for work experience and they offered me it. See if there's any networking events near you. I wouldn't go abroad for a couple of weeks of unpaid work experience though. That sounds very expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Not in a games company, but I did work experience for 5 weeks with an animation company helping with their work and they taught me a bunch of stuff. You just have to keep asking. Don't just stick to really big places, ask the smaller companies as well. I got mine because I was friends with one of the people who worked there, and became friends with the owner online. I explained I was looking for work experience and they offered me it. See if there's any networking events near you. I wouldn't go abroad for a couple of weeks of unpaid work experience though. That sounds very expensive
    Do you mind giving me the name of the small company you were working for so I can hit them up for more info? thank you 😊
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I dont know much about the games industry but I have worked in some pretty competitive and niche industries. The way I see it is you need to concentrate on creativity, resilience and usefulness.

Creativity - can you stand out? have you created any games? If you can direct would be employers to a simple html space invaders game or something it shows you're serious.
    How are you applying? Online emails to HR? Using print and post would help you stand out, vista print will do 100 post cards for £15 + postage. Send one of them to 100 MDs, HR Dir's, Commercial Dir's, heads of tech etc. would get you noticed.
    What does your CV look like? It should definitely be one page and be pretty - they work in a creative industry and are likely to respond to creativity. You can google creative CV templates and find free psd's and word docs. You'll be up against similar candidates so be brave in showing a bit of personality in your communications.
    How about related industries? Can you get creative with who you target to find transferable skills? Animation is used in TV, film, advertising, marketing etc. Your uni should want or need animation for use in ads, on big screens etc. If you have the skills you can approach them. I would go straight to your marketing director with a simple "I have these skills and want to be useful to my uni and build my employability" - my old marketing director (at the uni I used to work at) would have lapped that up.

Also being professional and consistent - send an email, follow up with a call, if its a soft "no" then ask when you can follow up and diarise it and actually do it. Working in spurts might get you there but do yourself a favour and be really consistent and apply yourself professionally.

Resilience - you prepared to be knocked back 99 times to get one "yes"? The most successful people are, in my experience, not always the smartest or best, but the ones who say "your loss" to themselves when they get a knock back.
    If you get a knock back can you turn a negative into a positive by asking for feedback and having the thick skin to listen and take it on board?

Usefulness - when I take on a grad, placement student etc. I always have a bit of nervousness about the ratio between hand holding and usefulness - how much will they actually contribute and how much its basically a favour. When you speak to someone instead of asking "can I have some work experience" you could ask "do you have any projects you need some admin assistance on?" - that would help them envisage how you can fit in and contribute.
    If you do a postcard or something highlight how you will be useful - "I want experience in the industry, I can help with admin, excel, basic html and graphics packages, making cups of tea, general leg work and heavy lifting".
    if you get a knock back could you ask "I understand you don't have a need right now, but some feedback would really help - if and when you do take someone like me on what would or could they do?"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.