Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row39)
    Ahhh I think I'm about one of the only people without Facebook......
    Technically I have a Facebook account, but in practice I have no idea where it even is. Twitter's for me.

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Economics and Management
    College: Keble
    Outcome: Rejection, no other colleges reviewing your application blah blah
    How I'm feeling: Far better than I thought I would be - attending Oxford was never "my dream" like it was/is for some people, it was merely a means to an end. I'm disappointed yes, but I'm happy with my MORSE offer from Warwick which will keep my career options open. At the end of the day I can look back and say I gave it my all; nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fablereader)
    Technically I have a Facebook account, but in practice I have no idea where it even is. Twitter's for me.
    Hahahaha got twitter for like a week and then got bored.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row39)
    Hahahaha got twitter for like a week and then got bored.....
    It depends on which people you follow. I try to curate my feed so I only follow those who tweet interesting things or who are people such as Youtubers I like.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on which people you follow. I try to curate my feed so I only follow those who tweet interesting things or who are people such as Youtubers I like.
    Yeah true I probs didn't give it a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row39)
    Yeah true I probs didn't give it a chance
    Granted, it has gotten a little bit out of control. I'm more than two days behind on the feed and follow 200 people, way too many. I'm planning on making lists, which apparently should help even it out ...

ReputationRep:
    Woahhh good luck with that!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row39)
    Woahhh good luck with that!!!
    I'll probably give up a lot of the past 2 days' tweets and just reboot, having figured out how lists can help.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably give up a lot of the past 2 days' tweets and just reboot, having figured out how lists can help.
    Yeah sounds like you'd have your work cut out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row39)
    Yeah sounds like you'd have your work cut out
    Eh, I'll do it tomorrow, too tired and busy with Maths tonight.

Edit: That kind of procrastination has led to the current problem.

ReputationRep:
    Haahahaah know how you feel - have a maths paper I was gonna do today but looks like it's gonna be tomorrow....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P&T16)
    Finally a fellow Pembroke applicant!
    And then there were three :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Check the Prospective Students thread, people are having a Corpus lovefest there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The corpus lovefest is well deserved

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ggana19)
    Subject: Medicine
    College: Corpus Christi
    Outcome: Conditional Offer
    How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Email (10 AM)
    How do you feel?: Relieved, shocked, thrilled

anyone else here who got into Corpus?
    May I ask if you had a Skype interview or came over to the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qeyoo)
    May I ask if you had a Skype interview or came over to the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm from Europe, so I came to the UK

ReputationRep:
    Result: Conditional offer!!
    Course: PPE
    College: Merton
    Offer Conditions: 6H2s (Irish leaving certificate)
    How did you first hear and when?: Email around 11am on wednesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ggana19)
    I'm from Europe, so I came to the UK
    Hmmm, just wondering if I met you at interview, were you in the JCR much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chumaniward)
    what are your grades?
    Predicted grade in IB of 42 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qeyoo)
    Hmmm, just wondering if I met you at interview, were you in the JCR much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, not really, I mostly walked around the city and the only people I talked to were there for medicine I think. But huge congrats on your offer! Hope I'll see you around in October

ReputationRep:
    Subject: Biochemistry
    College: Open Offer w/ St. Peter's underwriting my offer
    Outcome: Conditional Offer -- IB 39 points w/ 7 in Chem HL & 6s in Bio HL and Maths SL (I went in with a predicted 42, w/ 7 in Chem/Bio/Maths)
    How did you find out? (Email/Letter/Owl): Email

How do you feel?
    It's crazy to think that I was accepted out of all the other outstanding interviewees I met whilst there. It was about 2:30AM on the 11th when I received an email detailing my "enclosed offer" on my phone (I'm from Canada). After reading it, I immediately thought that this was a dream. I'd doze in and out of sleep, rereading my offer and trying to convince myself it was real. It has taken until now for it all to sink in. I feel truly honoured to be given this offer of admission from such a wonderful institution, and couldn't be more excited to be given a spot in a programme that fits my interests so well!

What I took away from the process:
    As someone who has been taught that being "well-rounded" and "balanced" student was the key to getting into a good school--particularly in the United States--I have learned how important academics is to Oxford admissions. Although the grades are a significant aspect of the admissions process, I believe that the interview plays an immense part in your application. In my opinion, it is what tips you in or out. While the other aspects of your application can be heavily prepared for, the interview tells the tutors who you are and how you will react to the rigorous coursework that you'll be faced with whilst at Oxford. Many of the applicants look similar on paper, particularly for a program like Biochemistry (a "reverent passion for Biochem" and A* or As in Biology and/or Chemistry--by the way, if you are thinking of applying to Biochem, you really need to take both, or else the interview will be a living hell). The interview is where the tutors will try and look past even the most impressive of grades, allowing them to accurately determining how you will fit into the programme. In the natural sciences, the problems that students are faced in the interview will test if they have the knowledge base and can apply it in ways they've never seen before.

I met my fair share of students who had outstanding grades and personal statements. I didn't feel as though I had anything to distinguish myself with; yet, I'm the only one I know of who's received an offer. The one thing I can identify as being a distinguishing factor is my interview, which tested each applicant to their fullest capacity.

By no means am I suggesting that the grades and personal statement do not matter. I think that if you are above the minimum cutoff and exhibit an interest for the subject you are applying for, you've just gotten your foot through the door. While the interview may not be worth half of your application, I'd bet its worth at least a third.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope it's of some help to future applicants!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.