Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Development Studies vs Development Management vs International Development Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could anyone summarise what the difference is between Development Studies, Development Management and International Development? I want to study in 2018 and I'm looking at multiple universities who offer 2/3 most times but I'm a bit lost as to what the major difference is.

Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IngridBeya)
    Hi,

Could anyone summarise what the difference is between Development Studies, Development Management and International Development? I want to study in 2018 and I'm looking at multiple universities who offer 2/3 most times but I'm a bit lost as to what the major difference is.

Thanks in advance
    It's impossible to define a degree by name alone; so much depends on the university and the module options. Sometimes degrees can have different names but the module content be very similar, and vice versa. You need to look carefully at the structure of each degree to find possible differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IngridBeya)
    Hi,

Thanks in advance
    Is this for undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    Impossible to tell unless we know what specific courses you're talking about. It should all be explained on the course web pages, really.

Development Management will focus more on the technical/logistical/administrative side of things; stuff that you need to know for a career 'in the field'. DevStud and International Development, depending on where you go, are likely to be more academic and more critical of the (several, incredibly problematic) assumptions behind the idea of 'development', and do an excellent job of bursting the bubbles of starry-eyed undergrads who want to swoop into Mozambique and 'save' people. Highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    Development studies and international development are very similar - for example SOAS has development studies and its almost the same thing as international development at sussex. Im going for International Development and NGO management at UEL because its more practically focused on development rather than the history behind it all and theory. I also prefer coursework over exams so went for a course that reflected this. which uni is a really good site to compare

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.