Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello lovely helpful SFE people,

I graduated in summer 2016 and have subsequently started a job in the USA which will be on an open ended contract basis.

I have two questions concerning my repayments- I earn more than the threshold so repayments start in April:

1) My UK bank account is overdrawn by almost a thousand pounds. I am paying this off slowly slowly and when it is clear I don't intend to use it- I will probably close it actually. Is there a way to repay the loan from my US account? I am mindful of the fact that I will probably get charged lots of money by my bank here for anything other than sending you a US dollar cheque....

2) Is any movement on the US repayment threshold possible? The cost of living varies hugely in this country, and I live in Orange County California- one of the most expensive places to live in the US with rent prices the same as London. The threshold is a bit harsh for me, whereas if I lived in say Detroit I'd have no problem with it as I'd be paying peanuts for rent.

Thanks,

Ben
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi bensmith007

You can't have a direct debit from an overseas account but you can see our payment options here: http://bit.ly/1kg0AGq

The thresholds are taken from the cost of living by the World Bank. These threshold are usually updated once every April.

Thanks

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.