Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to study History next year. I particularly enjoy contemporary, political history but I'm also looking for a uni which has a good social side to it and is quite sporty. At alevel I achieved A* A A. Currently thinking I will apply to Exeter, Sheffield and Bristol but I am not entirely sure where else. Any advice or thoughts on those universities or other universities would be very helpful. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I'm a year 13 student whose predicted A*AA at A-Level and just got an offer to study History at Bristol and at SOAS which I'm really pleased about.

Obviously I haven't experienced student life at either of the universities but Bristol is a fantastic city which for some reason seems to be the epicentre for anything interesting that happens recently. It's the base for several of the music festivals I go to and it's also got a great music scene and lots of vintage stores which is part of my reason for applying. I've only been on one night out in Bristol which was to see The Brian Jonestown Massacre at the Bierkeller after a university open day but the atmosphere was fantastic and the people were great. I'm thinking I'll put Bristol as my first choice because they're a Russel Group University and the range of topics people wrote their History dissertations on their was fantastic!

However, I'm also considering going to SOAS (the School of Oriental and African Studies) in London. SOAS isn't as prestigious as Bristol and they only ask for ABB to study History but it's a chance to live in central London so the night life is bound to be great, albeit expensive. I'm particularly interested in SOAS because I'd like to go into some form of diplomacy or international relations and they're reknowned for having a really high percentage of international students (40%) from 140 different countries which appeals to me because I come from a small town in Shropshire that's really lacking in diversity. SOAS is also highly politically active and because of their connection to the University of London you can join societies made up of students from both institutions as well as share halls of residence with University of London students. Finally SOAS have a Language Centre where their students can learn from a huge range of languages separate from their degree for a really small fee, which appeals to me because I'd love to learn a second lanaguge to get the most out of travel.

With grades like yours you might also want to consider History at Cambridge, I know with your results I would!
    Best of luck,
    Izzy 😊

(Original post by Nocturnal247)
    I am applying to study History next year. I particularly enjoy contemporary, political history but I'm also looking for a uni which has a good social side to it and is quite sporty. At alevel I achieved A* A A. Currently thinking I will apply to Exeter, Sheffield and Bristol but I am not entirely sure where else. Any advice or thoughts on those universities or other universities would be very helpful. Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.