Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are religious beliefs worthy of respect? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Ecstatic.
    giggle giggle

ReputationRep:
    wow....thats actualy a really good point.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh too many people just claim that they belong to a religion without knowing anything about it. In my opinion your arn't a real christian if you don't go to church every sunday (unless you don't have a church of course).

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Yeh too many people just claim that they belong to a religion without knowing anything about it.
    true, but that could be cause it has always been like that. i mean if you are christened, becomes a member of the church and never change it as you grow older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Yeh too many people just claim that they belong to a religion without knowing anything about it. In my opinion your arn't a real christian if you don't go to church every sunday (unless you don't have a church of course).
    That's the trouble with religion, it is just so vague and flexible and can be interpreted as one likes.

I feel for those people (most people I imagine) who are hindu, christian, muslim, "just because their parents are".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    true, but that could be cause it has always been like that. i mean if you are christened, becomes a member of the church and never change it as you grow older.
    altho i was christened and have never had anything else to do with the church. i think my parents just wanted to see me dunked in water so id shut up for a few minutes

ReputationRep:
    I was christened even though my parents are athests - BTW I've renounced the christening - I'm atheist too.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is boring me already. On a lighter note, has anyone heard my band? http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....7&postcount=74

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    This thread is boring me already. On a lighter note, has anyone heard my band? http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....7&postcount=74
    no my band.....www.inarchy.tk
    ok ok its my best friends band but i can pretend im cool and in a band

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I was christened even though my parents are athests - BTW I've renounced the christening - I'm atheist too.
    was christened as well, my mum is athests, dad isn't. but he doesn't go to church that often.

ReputationRep:
    was christened as well, my mum is athests, dad isn't. but he doesn't go to church that often.
    my mum n dad r the other way round
    my dads sceptical of pretty much everything e.g religion, God, ghosts, aliens etc
    my mum believes things r there such as God but isnt a christian e.g doesnt go to church or anything
    i, thankfully, have followed in my dads footsteps
    i cant b bothered to waste my time on something i have never seen/heard/been in contact with.

ReputationRep:
    As with anything else belief-related, I think that as long as you don't purposefully insult anyone you aren't in the wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    People often try to put God in the same category as the tooth fairy or santa claus (sorry kids!). I do not buy that categorisation. I think we can only positively disprove the existence something if we have full knowledge of the domain in which an enitiy supposedly exists. So, we can be fairly sure there is no tooth fairy, because nobody has ever seen the tooth fairy, just like I can be absolutely sure there is no £50 note in my pocket because I can check the entire pocket for the existence of £50 notes. But, we can't check for the existsence of God beyond the realms of what science and technology currently allows us to, so there is no way we can empirically rule out the possibility of an entity relating to the concept of 'God'.
    I do agree with your original and overall point. But surely the tooth fairy could be in a cave on an uninhabited island somewhere. We can't observe the entire domain for god, just like we can't for tooth fairies.

And there are other ways to disprove things, you could assume its true and show it leads to something absurd. You could use an inductive method. There are many ways of resaoning something true without checking every possibility. [/maths]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    This is why I said 'fairly sure' vis a vis the existence of the tooth fairy, you never know
    Fair dos. *flaps off*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think that people should respect other peoples right to hold that belief. If the person believes the moon is made of cheese then that may sound stupid but I respect that they hold that oppinion.
    And they should respect my opinion that they're a fool.
    Religions are something that many people hold very close to their heart and you can really hurt them be insulting their religion. This is why I feel that we should all respect other peoples religions.
    You have argued elsewhere that if racists or fascists hold their beliefs "very close to their heart" they should be respected. As long as no-one tries to tell me about their beliefs or practise them I will respect them- or at least ignore them.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.