The Student Room Group

Struggling with first year of Uni - really disappointed in my grades

I don't know where I keep going wrong, I spend hours on my work, I try really hard and I try my absolute best and I just keep getting 2:2's. I don't know why because I genuinely feel like I've done better than the grade I've been given. I'm a single mum to a two year old, so for me to put hours of work in, have her in childcare more often to try my best with these assignments, I seem to be getting 2:2's. I really do feel like giving up. Don't know how I can get any higher than a 2:2 when I've done the best I possible could. Is a mid/high 2:2 really that bad for the first few assignments :frown: I'm studying Psychology
have you spoken to the lecturers specifically to find out where you are going wrong? Even things like referencing errors could lose you a lot of marks
Original post by denmegan
I don't know where I keep going wrong, I spend hours on my work, I try really hard and I try my absolute best and I just keep getting 2:2's. I don't know why because I genuinely feel like I've done better than the grade I've been given. I'm a single mum to a two year old, so for me to put hours of work in, have her in childcare more often to try my best with these assignments, I seem to be getting 2:2's. I really do feel like giving up. Don't know how I can get any higher than a 2:2 when I've done the best I possible could. Is a mid/high 2:2 really that bad for the first few assignments :frown: I'm studying Psychology

You'll improve with time... it takes a bit to adjust to university level. As the other poster said, try to get feedback on where to improve.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
have you spoken to the lecturers specifically to find out where you are going wrong? Even things like referencing errors could lose you a lot of marks

That's the one thing that's good. My referencing :frown: it just says in my feedback a need a clearer thesis statement. So I did that in my next assignment and still getting nowhere
Reply 4
Original post by iammichealjackson
You'll improve with time... it takes a bit to adjust to university level. As the other poster said, try to get feedback on where to improve.

Thank you
I'd get a private tutor to look through a few essays if your not getting useful feedback. Also, remember that your first year marks dont tend to count towards your overall grade so use the time to practise essay and research skills.
Original post by denmegan

I would echo what others have said, and that the first year can be tough, and as long as you keep working, you will improve. More detailed feedback would definitely be helpful, though, and it's a shame if all they can say is that you need a clearer thesis statement. Do you get any tutorials before completing your assignments? Do you have a course director you can talk to about your need for more feedback or support?

If you do decide to seek the help of a private tutor, we do have a few on our site who teach university level Psychology, as well as a number who can do online tutoring:

http://www.thetutorpages.com/university-psychology-tutors

Good luck with your studies!

Emma
Reply 7
It is only the end of the first semester of your first year of the course. 2.2 grades are not terrible at this stage. As a pp says, you need more thorough feedback to see what changes to make in your submissions. If it is not forthcoming request a meeting with your assignment markers with advanced notification that you require more detailed feedback on how to raise future grades.

Does your university have study workshops; learning skills sessions on specific areas such as essay/report writing; support sessions with graduate teaching assistants/course leaders? All of these are really useful sources of information regarding how to raise your game.

Quick Reply

Latest