Turn on thread page Beta

Can I rely to part-time job? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I am a Greek student and if I get an offer, I really think to go abroad next year and study in Scotland. I have applied at the Strathclyde University, Heriot-Watt University and 3 other English Universities(UEA, York and Nottingham) but I am almost sure that I will choose a Scottish university if given the chance, to avoid getting the student loan. The courses that I chose are: Bachelor in Business Administration at Heriot-Watt and BA Management and Marketing at Strathclyde.

However, I do not have the financial background to go to University if I don't get a part-time job. My parents will be able to give me about 170-200gbp per month, so it is mandatory to get a part time job.

What I wanted to ask is: 1) Can someone find student job easily at Glasgow-Edinburgh?
    2)What is the average pay at these jobs?
    3) How many hours do you think that a full-time student can work?
    4)Apart from rent (110-130 gbp/week) how much will I need to cover my living expenses (food, entertainment, transport etc)?

Thanks in advance!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by titanforce)
    Hi there, I am a Greek student and if I get an offer, I really think to go abroad next year and study in Scotland. I have applied at the Strathclyde University, Heriot-Watt University and 3 other English Universities(UEA, York and Nottingham) but I am almost sure that I will choose a Scottish university if given the chance, to avoid getting the student loan. The courses that I chose are: Bachelor in Business Administration at Heriot-Watt and BA Management and Marketing at Strathclyde.

However, I do not have the financial background to go to University if I don't get a part-time job. My parents will be able to give me about 170-200gbp per month, so it is mandatory to get a part time job.

What I wanted to ask is: 1) Can someone find student job easily at Glasgow-Edinburgh?
    2)What is the average pay at these jobs?
    3) How many hours do you think that a full-time student can work?
    4)Apart from rent (110-130 gbp/week) how much will I need to cover my living expenses (food, entertainment, transport etc)?

Thanks in advance!
    The majority of student jobs are going to be minimum wage which is £5.55 for an 18 years old.
    It would depend on your courses workload but idealistically even if you could work say 24 hours a week, giving you £130 that is only going to cover your rent. I dont know the exact costs for that city but with the amount your parents can give you, it may be doable with a part time job but its not going to be comfortable by any means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    The majority of student jobs are going to be minimum wage which is £5.55 for an 18 years old.
    It would depend on your courses workload but idealistically even if you could work say 24 hours a week, giving you £130 that is only going to cover your rent. I dont know the exact costs for that city but with the amount your parents can give you, it may be doable with a part time job but its not going to be comfortable by any means.
    Ηello, thanks for the answer! I forgot to mention that I will have some money in the bank from the summer job. What I wanted to know is if it will be possible to have any social life while I will be working 20+ hours. Moreover, how many hours is the typical average timetable for bachelor studies?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ηello, thanks for the answer! I forgot to mention that I will have some money in the bank from the summer job. What I wanted to know is if it will be possible to have any social life while I will be working 20+ hours. Moreover, how many hours is the typical average timetable for bachelor studies?
    Contact hours can vary massively between univerisities, if you email them i m sure your choices could give you an idea of what to expect. I've know people how manage to juggle it but it wont be easy.

ReputationRep:
    Contact hours can vary massively between univerisities, if you email them i m sure your choices could give you an idea of what to expect. I've know people how manage to juggle it but it wont be easy.

I have emailed them but I guess they are busy looking at the applications. From your experience, is it easy to find jobs as a student?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I have emailed them but I guess they are busy looking at the applications. From your experience, is it easy to find jobs as a student?
    I dont live in scotland but my university city wasnt too bad, but there'll be plenty of competition for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I dont live in scotland but my university city wasnt too bad, but there'll be plenty of competition for jobs.
    Well, thank you once again, I hope I will be able to make ends meet somehow!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.