Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eugenics - Humane or Inhumane? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Before we get into the discussion, let's define a few words:

Eugenics: "Eugenics is a set of beliefs and practices that aims at improving the genetic quality of the human population."

Humane: "Having or showing compassion"

Inhumane: "without compassion for misery or suffering; cruel"

Personally, I believe that eugenics, to an extent,is humane. Before people get extremely offended and start calling me a Nazi, please let me explain.

I do not think that allowing a child to be born, knowing full well that the child will have a detrimental genetic disease is humane, in fact, it is arguably inhumane, using the definition I gave, depending on how you look at it.

Please understand that I'm not saying we should run around and murder people that have genetic diseases or sterilise people, I'm just saying that to me it seems more humane to prevent the misery and suffering of a child by not giving birth to them knowing they will have a genetic disease that causes great suffering.

I feel as though the word "Eugenics" has been tainted by Hitler and his actions, so now everyone associates it with atrocities.

I'd like to know how other people feel about it though, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    If it's clear that a child is going to be born with a genetic fault, disease or the like, and it's preventable, then, barring costs, I don't see why not fix it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    If it's clear that a child is going to be born with a genetic fault, disease or the like, and it's preventable, then, barring costs, I don't see why not fix it.
    I think the thing that really makes my skin crawl is when I see on Good Morning Britain / Jeremy Kyle people, that know full well their child will be born with a genetic disease, have the child and are crowned as "brave" and "loving" for doing so. Something about it to me just seems really wrong. I don't know what it is but it reminds me of the whole "Severely under/overweight praising" concept.

ReputationRep:
    We are going to see a form of eugenics emerge in next few years whether we think it is humane or not. Although it's going to be a little bit more sophisticated than forced sterilisations of people with disabilities.

Only this time we are going to call it gene editing. The first trails on embryos and living humans have already started. If you haven't already, expect to hear a lot about TALENs, ZFNs and CRISPR. Expect cures for previously incurable congenital diseases. And expect some frivolous uses such as people fluorescing like jellyfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    We are going to see a form of eugenics emerge in next few years whether we think it is humane or not. Although it's going to be a little bit more sophisticated than forced sterilisations of people with disabilities.

Only this time we are going to call it gene editing. The first trails on embryos and living humans have already started. If you haven't already, expect to hear a lot about TALENs, ZFNs and CRISPR. Expect cures for previously incurable congenital diseases. And expect some frivolous uses such as people fluorescing like jellyfish.
    I'm really really looking forward to it

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't realise that "Gene editing" and "Genetic Engineering" count as eugenics (when on humans to improve genetic quality).

I've heard about CRISPR from this video:

ReputationRep:
    Eugenics for stopping people being born with bad diseases and illness that can be passed on=Fine and for greater good
    Eugenics for keeping "ze aryan masterrace"=No
    Eugenics for "designer babies" Not too keen on it and I think it might be a step too far.Although I have little knowlege about this

ReputationRep:
    Yeah let's just throw the child into the trash when it's born right? I mean clearly it's a genetic failure the little **** doesn't deserve a life. Heartless mother****ers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nulliverse)
    Yeah let's just throw the child into the trash when it's born right? I mean clearly it's a genetic failure the little **** doesn't deserve a life. Heartless mother****ers.
    Uh. . . what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Eugenics for stopping people being born with bad diseases and illness that can be passed on=Fine and for greater good. Eugenics for keeping "ze aryan masterrace"=No
    I agree
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    This is something I agree with. I've got a few genetic problems. (but it's either neither parent has them; just carries the gene or they show up in adulthood)

Don't agree with the designer baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Don't agree with the designer baby.
    Mhmmmhmmh this one is hard because the question is: "When is it too far?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Would sex selection fall under that? I don't know, that's the only part of the designer baby thing I kind of got. If you have a gender preference and you're going to take amazing care of the child does it matter?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    They should be grateful that their baby is healthy. Not what gender.

Re "designer babies are evil": imagine if we were all born Oxbridge-level intellectuals, eh?
      • Political Ambassador

(Original post by AshEntropy)
      Too much of a good thing can backfire and we might not be able to control things when they have already gone too far.

ReputationRep:
      We don't know what traits nature will favour.

For example the average Donald Trump supporter would want a white child but dark skin is more resistant to the UV effects of the global warming that Trump will cause. There could be a disaster.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by EC)
      Too much of a good thing can backfire and we might not be able to control things when they have already gone too far.
      You can make that argument about literally any scientific progress in any field.

ReputationRep:
      I touched upon eugenics in my EPQ. Eugenics does also include stuff such as sex education for teenagers and free condoms. I believe everyone should be allowed to have children if they so wish, but the risks and consequences of any genetic disorders should be fully discussed with the potential parents. If we have the ability to prevent certain genetic disorders, why not? Surely it's more inhumane to allow a child to grow up having a poorer quality of life! I want to be a Genetic Counsellor so this debate is up my alley. Some good debate going on here!
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Does genetic quality include aesthetics? Then no. Everyone will look the same "ideal" way. Boring.
      • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Palmyra)
      You can make that argument about literally any scientific progress in any field.
      I wasn't blaming technology or the scientific research when I said that the situation can backfire and it can turn out quite the opposite. I was actually referring to people who take advantage of a wonderful treasure and transform it into something vicious.

I support all the progress we're continuously making and I also believe that if we can prevent disease and improve the quality of the human's life we should totally do it, but people will always want more because they're never satisfied.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.