Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

My exams are next week, beginning monday.

I have asked multiple times, as well as being in contact with A.L.S (additional learner support) with help in setting up these arrangements. they were set up no problems last year and I was given plenty of notice for each one.

This year however, there has been no contact at all, emails have been ignored, even from the woman at als who is trying to help me sort these issues out.

It has gotten to the weekend before the exams and there is just no word at all!

I will be complaining once this week is over, but is there any advice anyone can offer?

I had an argument with the course head before we broke up for xmas holidays, where she said "the college cant provide for your needs"

Based on the fact that they did last year, and the fact that the college was happy to take my money whilst knowing I was a disabled student, theyve just left me to just sit in an exam with other people. Which I have doctors and counsellors advice that this does absolutely destroy my ability to think at all.

Im worried the college will just mark my exam as a U if I refuse to go into the exam room.

HELP!!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    x
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    Hello,

My exams are next week, beginning monday.

I have asked multiple times, as well as being in contact with A.L.S (additional learner support) with help in setting up these arrangements. they were set up no problems last year and I was given plenty of notice for each one.

This year however, there has been no contact at all, emails have been ignored, even from the woman at als who is trying to help me sort these issues out.

It has gotten to the weekend before the exams and there is just no word at all!

I will be complaining once this week is over, but is there any advice anyone can offer?

I had an argument with the course head before we broke up for xmas holidays, where she said "the college cant provide for your needs"

Based on the fact that they did last year, and the fact that the college was happy to take my money whilst knowing I was a disabled student, theyve just left me to just sit in an exam with other people. Which I have doctors and counsellors advice that this does absolutely destroy my ability to think at all.

Im worried the college will just mark my exam as a U if I refuse to go into the exam room.

HELP!!!
    This all sounds pretty demoralising and difficult.

I'm not sure what the exams are (mocks?) but I think you do need to discuss your situation with someone in authority at the college eg the Principal as soon as you can.

You do say you are going to complain once the exams are over, but in the meantime I would suggest you explain what is happening to someone high up in the college.

You should not get a 'U' if you haven't actually attended the exam. This grade is for those who take the exam but don't write anything worthy of a mark.

Do let me know what happens.

I wish you all best - don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)

I'm not sure what the exams are (mocks?) but I think you do need to discuss your situation with someone in authority at the college eg the Principal as soon as you can.

You do say you are going to complain once the exams are over, but in the meantime I would suggest you explain what is happening to someone high up in the college.

You should not get a 'U' if you haven't actually attended the exam. This grade is for those who take the exam but don't write anything worthy of a mark.

Thank you so much for your post/comment. Your reply was at just the right time. I had sent the course head a strongly worded email, just received a reply from her which was almost definitely influenced by what I have said to her about the staff member who does tutorials. (that's another story entirely but she is also part of the problem, not giving clear answers and ignoring emails.)

Just been fretting for hours. The exams are A levels and real. Yeah its been demoralising and difficult, I sincerely hope that all labs/universities are not going to be as difficult as this.

I will do, Ill probably be back later or tomorrow with news. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:

HI! I am sorry for the late reply, but it has been a rather literal depressing journey...

To boil a whole horrible mess down, since the 9th of Jan, I filed a complaint, it was accepted in Feb and I met with the complaints team at the start of march for them to collect information. After a few weeks, I met with them again and it was clear they were on damage control (as I had numerous pieces of evidence that couldnt be ignored)

They admitted culpability and made a list of actions to be made to help me finish the course. A short list of these actions were to send me the work I was missing, having a new opportunity to take my exams with proper support this time around, and proper exam arrangements. As well as some things I shouldnt have to ask for, like if I am told a room to go to, make sure its the right room at the right time and a tutor actually being in the room instead of me running around panicked and desperate not to fail by default.

That was towards the end of March.... (clears throat....) .... I received the work I was missing for almost the entire year.... Last week. The final exams were two weeks ago.. I really wish I was joking.

Whats more, I was told to "just email him" to get the work. Despite my asking many times in person and by email. And also having a complaint open, which I thought meant I would, sort of, have it done for me? I had asked enough times.

The cherry on top is that, now I have the work and fought my way (or fighting at the moment) out of a pretty crappy period of depression and constant lack of sleep to stress, they want me to take all 8 of my exams in four weeks. And six maths assignments by next week. and four chemistry assessments by the end of June.

*sigh* If you know anyone who plans to go to Leeds to do a level three access to science course. For the love of god, dont let them. haha.

Thanks so much for your advice and concern, I wish I could have given you brighter news. I guess the silver lining of this all, is that there are only two months left and I can leave this interminable fiasco behind.

It cant come soon enough. I see myself literally jumping for joy at the prospect of never coming back!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonoLuma)
    HI! I am sorry for the late reply, but it has been a rather literal depressing journey...

To boil a whole horrible mess down, since the 9th of Jan, I filed a complaint, it was accepted in Feb and I met with the complaints team at the start of march for them to collect information. After a few weeks, I met with them again and it was clear they were on damage control (as I had numerous pieces of evidence that couldnt be ignored)

They admitted culpability and made a list of actions to be made to help me finish the course. A short list of these actions were to send me the work I was missing, having a new opportunity to take my exams with proper support this time around, and proper exam arrangements. As well as some things I shouldnt have to ask for, like if I am told a room to go to, make sure its the right room at the right time and a tutor actually being in the room instead of me running around panicked and desperate not to fail by default.

That was towards the end of March.... (clears throat....) .... I received the work I was missing for almost the entire year.... Last week. The final exams were two weeks ago.. I really wish I was joking.

Whats more, I was told to "just email him" to get the work. Despite my asking many times in person and by email. And also having a complaint open, which I thought meant I would, sort of, have it done for me? I had asked enough times.

The cherry on top is that, now I have the work and fought my way (or fighting at the moment) out of a pretty crappy period of depression and constant lack of sleep to stress, they want me to take all 8 of my exams in four weeks. And six maths assignments by next week. and four chemistry assessments by the end of June.

*sigh* If you know anyone who plans to go to Leeds to do a level three access to science course. For the love of god, dont let them. haha.

Thanks so much for your advice and concern, I wish I could have given you brighter news. I guess the silver lining of this all, is that there are only two months left and I can leave this interminable fiasco behind.

It cant come soon enough. I see myself literally jumping for joy at the prospect of never coming back!

Oh lord, that is about as difficult and stressful as it gets. I'm so sorry.

How are you handling all the exams and work?

And what are your plans for after the course?

Has the experience put you off education forever?

I hope not. You've had a terrible experience but education is full of great people who put themselves out day after day to help students - never give up.

Stay in touch.

ReputationRep:
    Oh lord, that is about as difficult and stressful as it gets. I'm so sorry.

How are you handling all the exams and work?

And what are your plans for after the course?

Has the experience put you off education forever?

I hope not. You've had a terrible experience but education is full of great people who put themselves out day after day to help students - never give up.

Stay in touch.
    I appreciate it, your replies were so helpful in vindicating me. It went on so long I thought I was going bonkers!

Erm, not very well to be honest. I am struggling to sleep, to the point where I cant sleep for a couple of days at a time. And when I do get to sleep, I'm so tired, I oversleep to a (quite frankly) ridiculous degree. I have been wasting days and days, just on sleep!

I'm depressed and trying my best to fight my way out of it. I have given the college an ultimatum yesterday that they need to get things done soon or I am going to either contact the principal, or go to the ombudsman (or equivalent service)

I plan to do a masters at Bradford (I had planned to go to either Leeds or York, but the college ruined my references. giving predicted grades for work that I had not even gotten yet!) and, from there, onwards to a PhD. (that's if this years experience hasn't fouled that in some way!)

I planned to go through with this educational route in order to leave this country and find a new life (social care system failed me when I was younger, then I was abused by hospital and mental health staff.) So I am still resolute in my plans to go through with this. I am very lucky that I had such a good first year in education (access to HE foundation course - GCSE level) because if this year was my first experience, I would have had more of a chance of being put off education for good. It's indicative of how badly this course has gone, that in my first year, I came out with almost straight A's, come to this year... I still have had not a single mark back for feedback! It's like one very bad joke!

Luckily the people at Bradford seem very nice and helpful, so hopefully it will prove to be genuine and not an act (like this years course!)

I really appreciate your advice and support. I sincerely cannot wait for this to be over!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.