Turn on thread page Beta

Clueless as to how I apply for Post Grad positions watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I graduated with a BA 2:1 last year, and am taking a year out, but I'd like to take on an MA at a different university.

    I have no idea how to go about doing this/when the deadline is/how to apply for funding etc.

    This is probably a really stupid question, but what's the basic step by step process to do?

    I haven't decided where or what course exactly to do yet. What are the first steps I need to take?

    Many thanks guys.

    You apply to each university individually rather than through a centralised system like UCAS. So take a look at courses that interest you and look for the application portal on the university website. This website is a good place to start though: https://www.findamasters.com

    Application deadlines vary by course. Quite a lot are late such as over summer.

    Funding is through Student Finance. https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/overview
    Although some courses have scholarships arranged through the university.

    And.... if your former university allows you to still access their careers advice service, it may be worth talking to them for advice.

    As Quantex says, every uni runs its own Masters application process and it will be available online.

    As part of your application, you will need to provide the contact details of two academic referees - preferably two members of teaching staff from your undergrad course, who can recommend you as suitable for your proposed Masters. It helps if they remember you personally, rather than writing a generic reference from your academic record. I went for my undergrad diss supervisor and course leader, but a member of staff in whose module(s) you did particularly well - especially if relevant to your Masters subject - would also be good.

    There are no limits to how many Masters courses you can apply for. However you will need to ask your referees' permission to cite them as referees in your application. Effectively, you're limited by how many references those people are happy to write - unlike an undergrad reference, your Masters unis will expect to see a reference which is specific to each individual course you apply for. So my advice is to try and decide on maybe three or four Masters courses rather than doing scattergun multiple applications.
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.