Clueless as to how I apply for Post Grad positions Watch

M_Hackenschmidt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I graduated with a BA 2:1 last year, and am taking a year out, but I'd like to take on an MA at a different university.

I have no idea how to go about doing this/when the deadline is/how to apply for funding etc.

This is probably a really stupid question, but what's the basic step by step process to do?

I haven't decided where or what course exactly to do yet. What are the first steps I need to take?

Many thanks guys.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You apply to each university individually rather than through a centralised system like UCAS. So take a look at courses that interest you and look for the application portal on the university website. This website is a good place to start though: https://www.findamasters.com

Application deadlines vary by course. Quite a lot are late such as over summer.

Funding is through Student Finance. https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/overview
Although some courses have scholarships arranged through the university.

And.... if your former university allows you to still access their careers advice service, it may be worth talking to them for advice.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As Quantex says, every uni runs its own Masters application process and it will be available online.

As part of your application, you will need to provide the contact details of two academic referees - preferably two members of teaching staff from your undergrad course, who can recommend you as suitable for your proposed Masters. It helps if they remember you personally, rather than writing a generic reference from your academic record. I went for my undergrad diss supervisor and course leader, but a member of staff in whose module(s) you did particularly well - especially if relevant to your Masters subject - would also be good.

There are no limits to how many Masters courses you can apply for. However you will need to ask your referees' permission to cite them as referees in your application. Effectively, you're limited by how many references those people are happy to write - unlike an undergrad reference, your Masters unis will expect to see a reference which is specific to each individual course you apply for. So my advice is to try and decide on maybe three or four Masters courses rather than doing scattergun multiple applications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads