Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    because of certain circumstances I havent started writing my personal statement even if there's only week left until the deadline. Realistically, just in how much trouble am I? Is it better for me to miss the January deadline to work on my PS more or should I just write it and send it as it is for the upcoming deadline? Thank you.

(Please don't respond if you're just gonna make fun of me or something, please.)

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if it is an official deadline of the universities you have applied to then don't send it late because they don't always accept late applications
    Also normally your school has to check your application and then add a reference before they send it
    Make sure you give them enough time too

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for quick response.
    The Universities I am applying to accept late applications too.
    I am not from UK, so state schools in my country aren't responsible for checking our University applications to foreign countries, so I am applying independently. Getting the reference letter from teacher isn't a problem, my having not started on my personal statement is.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I don't think you're in that much trouble. It only took me about two weeks so I'm sure you can adapt it to be done in a week. It's just gonna take doing a lot of drafts in a short space of time, checking with whoever you have to report to at your school and then using all the best bits. I really think you can do it even though it's not ideal.

ReputationRep:
    even if they do accept late applicants i suggest do it as soon as possible
    I was an early applicant so i submitted mine in october
    To make a good personal statement you have to keep reading and fixing it because the first one is never a finished one
    It takes a while to perfect a personal statement
    Also if yours does go over the word limit you would need to spend some time condensing it, so you should try and start as soon as possible, good luck
    • Political Ambassador

Don't waste any time then! If the reference isn't a problem, just make sure you have a plan for your personal statement, as in what are your best achievements and what abilities and skills you gained from certain activities. Just make sure you don't procrastinate and write something everyday, it took me a lot of drafts to finally have my perfect statement.

Also check with advisors, consultants if you can, ask friends who already applied or you can ask on forums too, don't upload your personal statement on the internet, tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starplatinum)

(Please don't respond if you're just gonna make fun of me or something, please.)
    The key survival skill at university is the capacity to bang out 1500 words from a standing start at 11pm on a Sunday evening for submission at 11am the next day. And these are about a chap called John Locke (don't ask).

If you can't write 600 words about yourself in a week, why bother going?

ReputationRep:
    it's doable.
    Have a look at some of the examples for the subject you want to study and just get cracking.

When is the deadline? You can do it a few days-1 week

ReputationRep:
      Hi,
      because of certain circumstances I havent started writing my personal statement even if there's only week left until the deadline. Realistically, just in how much trouble am I? Is it better for me to miss the January deadline to work on my PS more or should I just write it and send it as it is for the upcoming deadline? Thank you.

I helped a guy write up a entire ucas application, ground up in 5 days he's now in Manchester business school, get your arse in gear and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
      You serious? 1 week is plenty of time, I remember doing my draft first time around it took me one hour and teacher said it was decent. Obviously I spent a bit more time on it but you'd be surprised what you can bash out in a short space of time. During my second time when I had a year out I typed it up at home and did it myself without any guidance and just went in to get my tutor to add his reference on, said it was decent and gave me some pointers but didn't need to. Ultimately most admissions tutors want to give you an offer in my experience and unless you are applying to extremely good unis or are very u derqualfied then you have a good chance. They are lenient in the whole and hand out more offers than places as they know all won't accept. Now after the cap removed I am sure they will be more liberal in their approach.

TLDR- a week is plenty of time!!

ReputationRep:
      Chill mate, I'm doing the exact same :lol:

ReputationRep:
      I did it like 2 days before :rofl:

Got offers from the ones I wanted

ReputationRep:
      Depends how long it takes you to write a reference, for me a week is plenty of time! I wouldn't panic too much, just get to it as soon as possible.

By the way, I like the JoJo reference, if your username isn't just a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
      I see! Thank you everyone for responding it makes me feel more reassured now, I have to get to work then!

(Original post by Miumi)
      By the way, I like the JoJo reference, if your username isn't just a coincidence.
      And yeah, it's a Jojo reference!

ReputationRep:
      I see! Thank you everyone for responding it makes me feel more reassured now, I have to get to work then!

And yeah, it's a Jojo reference!
      what unis and what course?

ReputationRep:
      I wrote my first PS in a day and got four offers (fifth rejected due to changing their mind on accepting third-year entrants that year).

This year I wrote the rough draft half-drunk and then spent two days (sober) cleaning it up. I sent it to my tutor and his response was, "You don't need to change anything."

So, nah. No trouble at all. I'd definitely aim to get it done ASAP rather than purposely be late.

ReputationRep:
      Depends, how good you are at working in a short space of time. I wrote my first draft in about 3 hours, had someone from my college look at it, then spent an hour applying their feedback and it was good to send.

Just sit down and actually put some text on a page. It doesn't have to be perfect to start with, you just want it structured with outlines for what you will talk about. Then expand upon those ideas.

I wasted most of my time for several weeks just looking at doing it, trying to think of how to start it etc rather than just getting ideas down on the page. Once you start, more ideas come flowing, just sit down and type something even if it's garbage.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Peer Support Volunteers
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      Look at the guidance linked in my signature to help you write it

ReputationRep:
      Many Unis will still be accepting applications for certain courses after the deadline. There is no sure way of predicting which courses will still be open but most non-RG Unis will not close all courses on the deadline.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.