Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE AQA English Language 2017 paper 1 question 3 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling with question 3 of paper 1 of English Language. I don't know how to answer the question to get a good. In my test I only got 3 out of 8. The question is-
    'How the writer stuctured the text to interest the reader?' The text will be unseen in the exam. So I was wondering how to structure and explain to the examiner to get high mark of 7-8. Please also give an example of answer of question 3, so I can have better understanding(If possible). Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahirul)
    I am struggling with question 3 of paper 1 of English Language. I don't know how to answer the question to get a good. In my test I only got 3 out of 8. The question is-
    'How the writer stuctured the text to interest the reader?' The text will be unseen in the exam. So I was wondering how to structure and explain to the examiner to get high mark of 7-8. Please also give an example of answer of question 3, so I can have better understanding(If possible). Thank you.
    Mr Bruff is very helpful, here's his channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM2...e4HAuzhpFuRY8w
    Here's the video concerning your problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsNbIIz2zqg

ReputationRep:
    Mr. Bruff is great and does anyone know grade predictions for paper 1 (what grade is 60 out of 80) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilio Ramirez)
    Mr Bruff is very helpful, here's his channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM2...e4HAuzhpFuRY8w
    Here's the video concerning your problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsNbIIz2zqg
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    you need to describe the atmosphere (ambience) and add sentence techniques also describe how the readers feel too. For example As readers this might make us feel uncomfortable on the experience of the battle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AquariusUK)
    Mr. Bruff is great and does anyone know grade predictions for paper 1 (what grade is 60 out of 80) ?
    There are no grade boundaries at the moment. Lots of people are guessing, but they won't be decided until after the exam. I would suggest that 60/80 is very good though - at least grade 7 and probably better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    There are no grade boundaries at the moment. Lots of people are guessing, but they won't be decided until after the exam. I would suggest that 60/80 is very good though - at least grade 7 and probably better.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what would be needed for a 4 on both papers

ReputationRep:
    1) Use the question within your answer to the question at the start of each paragraph. So, "The way the text is structured so it zooms into a focus point is interesting because..."
    2) Talk about the structure of not just the overall piece of writing, but also individual sentence structures (e.g, short, simple sentences for effect, maybe something about juxtaposition). Remember to use subject terminology.
    3) Really, really explicitly talk about the effect on the reader. Give an alternative effect on the reader if you can.
    4) Aim to make at least 3 points.

That's my technique, and I have never got a lower mark than a 7 on this question. I hope this helps- and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanlock1234)
    Anyone know what would be needed for a 4 on both papers
    It's out of 160 in total, so my guess would be that you're looking at about 80, half marks. I don't know for sure though- if you look elsewhere, someone will almost certainly have predicted grade boundaries somewhere. That said, those are only PREDICTED grade boundaries, so would definitely be subject to change if the paper was easier or harder than expected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahirul)
    I got 7/8 in my last answer to this type of question so can post it on here if anyone wants it? I don't have the text it goes with though, just the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monicagrant)
    I got 7/8 in my last answer to this type of question so can post it on here if anyone wants it? I don't have the text it goes with though, just the question.
    Please could you post it ???

ReputationRep:
    I know paper 1 is tomorrow so hope you see this!Paragraph 1 should be about what the writer focuses at the start, like moods and settings.Paragraph 2 should be about the change in focus from what you focussed on in p1 to something else. So a change in mood etcParagraph 3 can be about a pivotal moment or anything that interests you that you didn't use in Q2.You don't need to zoom in on specific language features, just use quotes, what the quote as a whole means and effect on the reader.Good luck and hope you see this before the exam!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants the approx grade boundaries here they are bearing in mind they may be lowered or highered:
    Grade 9 - 79-80 on each paper or 158-160 all together
    Grade 8 - 76-78 on each paper or 150-157 all together
    Grade 7 - 72-75 on each paper or 142-147 all together
    Grade 6 - 63-71 on each paper or 124-141 all together
    Grade 5 - 54-62 on each paper or 107-123 all together
    Grade 4 - 45-53 on each paper or 89-106 all together
    Grade 3 - 33-44 on each paper or 65-88 all together
    Grade 2 - 21-32 on each paper or 41-64 all together
    Grade 1 - 9-20 on each paper or 17-40 all together
    Grade U - 0-8 on each paper or 0-16 all together
    Sorry this is a bit late but helpful ti anyone doing last minute revision (like me). Good luck everyone!
    (Btw this is what my school has given me and we have a teacher who is an english gcse marker but they could be lowered or highered. Hopefully lowered)

ReputationRep:
    you must be joking.. this is as high as hell.. man we are all gonna fail if it is something similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polarstella)
    you must be joking.. this is as high as hell.. man we are all gonna fail if it is something similar
    They are most likely going to be lowered so don't take this for certain, hopefully it's just my school putting unnecessary pressure on us 😂😭

ReputationRep:
    u know my school did at every 10th a grade boundary.. so 40 marks, grade 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sttypy123)
    If anyone wants the approx grade boundaries here they are bearing in mind they may be lowered or highered:
    Grade 9 - 79-80 on each paper or 158-160 all together
    Grade 8 - 76-78 on each paper or 150-157 all together
    Grade 7 - 72-75 on each paper or 142-147 all together
    Grade 6 - 63-71 on each paper or 124-141 all together
    Grade 5 - 54-62 on each paper or 107-123 all together
    Grade 4 - 45-53 on each paper or 89-106 all together
    Grade 3 - 33-44 on each paper or 65-88 all together
    Grade 2 - 21-32 on each paper or 41-64 all together
    Grade 1 - 9-20 on each paper or 17-40 all together
    Grade U - 0-8 on each paper or 0-16 all together
    Sorry this is a bit late but helpful ti anyone doing last minute revision (like me). Good luck everyone!
    (Btw this is what my school has given me and we have a teacher who is an english gcse marker but they could be lowered or highered. Hopefully lowered)
    THIS IS NOT TRUE. Your teacher may be an examiner but that doesn't mean anything if he's gonna pull **** like this out of his ass. You know PIXL? No? Well they take results of over 1000 schools, and create ACCURATE grade boundary predictions. Not sure the exact ones but I got 66 and 65 and scrape a 9 in my recent mock. Unless some magic voodoo shot the boundaries to higher than they HAVE EVER BEEN IN ANY SUBJECT, EVER, this is false. So ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monicagrant)
    i'd be ever so grateful if you could post it

ReputationRep:
    Exams tmrw

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.