Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna keep this relatively short and to the point:

Been talking for a couple months now with a guy I really like (we initially met through a mutual friend). I'm getting the feeling he likes me back too, although still not 100% sure. We've met up twice since then, both being very "date-like" although not explicitly said as such.

Fast forward now and it's my birthday which I've invited him to, but now he says he's unable to attend. It's just a simple dinner with friends, but I'm still pretty disappointed.

My real question is, would it be weird for me to offer to cover the cost of his meal? I don't know if it sounds endearing or just creepy

Any, and all, advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Did he specifically say he can't afford it? If so then I think it's fine to offer to pay. If he only said he can't make it then it could sound a little pushy, like you're trying to bribe him.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it sounds creepy, no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    Did he specifically say he can't afford it? If so then I think it's fine to offer to pay. If he only said he can't make it then it could sound a little pushy, like you're trying to bribe him.
    Yeah, he did mention it was a money issue In that case, it should be ok....I hope. Just wondering how to phrase it now.

ReputationRep:
    It would give a clue your keen which is good, but you would need to find a way of phrasing it that doesn't hurt his manly pride. Why not just ask him out, then you know where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    It would give a clue your keen which is good, but you would need to find a way of phrasing it that doesn't hurt his manly pride. Why not just ask him out, then you know where you stand.
    Can't see how a free meal is going to hurt anyone's pride tbh lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Can't see how a free meal is going to hurt anyone's pride tbh lol.
    Personally while I love a gift, I would also like to have enough money to pay for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've asked him. Just waiting for a reply now....

And I totally understand the sentiments about hurting his pride....personally I like being able to pay for myself, but I also wanted to make it clear that I value his company on my birthday more so than whatever that might cost.

But if he's like me.....then he may just refuse

ReputationRep:
    Tell him you'd like to make time to spend with him that won't cost either of you anything. Do something inexpensive or free that allows for interaction between you. Go on a walk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loka_94)
    Ok, I've asked him. Just waiting for a reply now....

And I totally understand the sentiments about hurting his pride....personally I like being able to pay for myself, but I also wanted to make it clear that I value his company on my birthday more so than whatever that might cost.

But if he's like me.....then he may just refuse
    (Original post by FranktheYank)
    Tell him you'd like to make time to spend with him that won't cost either of you anything. Do something inexpensive or free that allows for interaction between you. Go on a walk.
    This. If he refuses then ask if he'd like to just hang out at some point instead.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.