Turn on thread page Beta

Looking for a comprehensive book on the Digestive System watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I'm not sure this is the right place, but I figured some people here might have a recommendation or two.

I want to study about the digestive system, so I would like recommendations on the best book to get. Specifically, I want to understand what creates the differences in digestive system attributes between patients, e.g. digestion speed, satiation, gastric emptying speed etc. I would also like the book to cover any tests that exist that can be done to analyze a patients digestive process, to determine factors influencing the efficiency of digestion.

Motivation is my desire to understand my own body. I have had digestive shortcomings my entire life (so it's obviously ultimately a genetic thing). These shortcomings have never risen to the level of 'pathology', so the many doctors I visited have always been uninterested and eager for me to leave their office. These digestive shortcomings have resulted in me having a severely malnourished appearance, hovering just above anorexic, generally low energy levels relative to my peers, and social problems in a dining setting (finishing even small amounts of food well after everybody else). This has greatly influenced my quality of life and put a hefty limit on my personal performance, especially in the social arena, so I am determined to know in detail the nature of this bodily shortcoming, such that I may possibly work out a way to ameliorate it.

So if anyone could recommend a good, comprehensive book on this topic, I would be very grateful. I have a good understanding of basic biology due to my high school studies, and I am happy to learn any other ground-work that would allow me to understand medical-level digestive biology.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that such a book exists, but I would also be interested in knowing if it did!

The Merck Manual is a website and app which is fantastic, you can look up specific conditions/tests/etc and it has a lot of information. It is also split into patient and professional versions so you can choose the level that you want.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.