The Student Room Group

GCSE grades enough for Oxbridge & Russell Group universities??

Hey guys,
(edited 7 years ago)
Obviously yes

Spoiler

yes to both
Original post by Idku
Hey guys,
I am doing my GCSEs this year and I am predicted 6A* 5A 1B (the B is in gcse English language). I also have two extenuating circumstances. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism in November, and the doctor said it can take over a year before I start getting the right level of medication for my thyroid. This means that I am having a lot of side effects such as low concentration and impaired memory, which are also affecting my education. However, I struggle the most in English language as it requires me to read two sources and answer questions about it, but I have to read the sources 3 times before they make any sense to me. This means that I never get to answer all the questions because I run out of time, hence why I'm predicted a grade 6 (B). The other extenuating circumstance is that one the same day I found out about my hypothyroidism, I was told by my parents that my grandmother has cancer on the last stage, and she is going to pass away in less than 6 months. She is getting worse and worse everyday and I believe she is going to die really soon. This has also had lots of psychological effects on my brain and made it even harder for me to focus on my studies.

My question to you guys is, say if I get 6A* 5A and 1B with extenuating circumstances, would my GCSE grades be enough for oxbridge and russell group universities? (assuming I also do really well at A level , PS, interview, etc.)

No you need 20 A*'s
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
Obviously yes

Spoiler

Thanks for your reply. And lol, I'm not doing medicine at universities I know that for sure, I'm not interested in medicine whatsoever :tongue:
Original post by Idku
Hey guys,
I am doing my GCSEs this year and I am predicted 6A* 5A 1B (the B is in gcse English language). I also have two extenuating circumstances. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism in November, and the doctor said it can take over a year before I start getting the right level of medication for my thyroid. This means that I am having a lot of side effects such as low concentration and impaired memory, which are also affecting my education. However, I struggle the most in English language as it requires me to read two sources and answer questions about it, but I have to read the sources 3 times before they make any sense to me. This means that I never get to answer all the questions because I run out of time, hence why I'm predicted a grade 6 (B). The other extenuating circumstance is that one the same day I found out about my hypothyroidism, I was told by my parents that my grandmother has cancer on the last stage, and she is going to pass away in less than 6 months. She is getting worse and worse everyday and I believe she is going to die really soon. This has also had lots of psychological effects on my brain and made it even harder for me to focus on my studies.

My question to you guys is, say if I get 6A* 5A and 1B with extenuating circumstances, would my GCSE grades be enough for oxbridge and russell group universities? (assuming I also do really well at A level , PS, interview, etc.)

Hell yes! Your predicted grades are excellent even without your two extenuating circumstances! I am sorry to hear what has happened... but I'd like you to know that you certainly a very good chance of being accepted into Oxbridge - provided that you achieve those results and excel in your A Levels that is!

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by honour
Hell yes! Your predicted grades are excellent even without your two extenuating circumstances! I am sorry to hear what has happened... but I'd like you to know that you certainly a very good chance of being accepted into Oxbridge - provided that you achieve those results and excel in your A Levels that is!

Best of luck! :smile:

Thank you so much for saying this, I feel like a lot of stress has disappeared just because you said this:u:
Original post by Idku
Hey guys,

Some people struggle to get those grades without extenuating circumstances!!
I have alot of admiration for people like you! Keep going!
Of course you'll get in if you achieve those results+ good a levels!

Quick Reply

Latest