Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a small amount of time off for illness? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Long version of story: (scroll down for short version)

I am in second year of a three year degree in London. I enjoyed 1st year for the most part and did well academically but had doubts about going back for 2nd year. I ended up living in a shared house where I am finding it hard to take proper care of myself (sharing kitchen & bathroom with younger boys who are not the cleanest). I managed to make it through 1st term however pretty much had a physical and mental breakdown a week before Christmas... I was pushing myself too hard to keep up with everything instead of taking time off, had flu and it developed into a chest infection.

I went home to my mum's for Christmas and have spent the whole of the Christmas break in bed feeling horribIe (inlcuding my birthday). I was meant to submit an essay on the 22nd but I didn't because I couldn't concentrate due to illness. I went to see the Doctor and got antibiotics but they haven't helped and I still feel very unwell.
    I have a pre-existing chronic illness which makes me more prone to small illnesses so while I appreciate some people might be able to cope with flu/chest infection, personally I can't. I also have long-term recurring depression which I normally manage well (without meds) however I have not been coping for the last few months.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get the train back to London tomorrow because I have loads of work due for the 16th & 17th of January (some of which is group work which we have to do on the 9th) but I am not feeling up to it at all. I really feel like I need to take a couple more weeks at home to rest and arrange Doctors visits so I can get my health sorted but with all the coursework due (including work that affects other people) I feel like I can't do this.
    I really want to ask if there is any way I could get an extension on all the work but last time I tried this (for the essay in December) my tutor completely ignored my request... Because the Uni is shut for Christmas I don't know who I could even contact about this or what numbers to call...

Basically I need to know how I would go about trying to get time off Uni around coursework deadlines? Do I need to submit an extenuating circumstances form? Who would I submit to? Is there someone I can speak to about all this??

Short version:
    - tried to get an extension on essay in December due to illness but tutor didn't respond
    - still not well, have had antibiotics but they didn't help that much.
    - want to stay at my mums (where my doctor is) to rest and recover BUT I have loads of work due for 16th & 17th Jan including group work
    - want to get extension but no idea how to go about it since lecturers seem to not be working at the moment
    - considering taking time off but don't want to skip the whole of the year, just a few weeks

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? If it helps I study at UEL (they are super disorganized and I struggled to find any policies for this sort of thing)

Thanks

Sha x
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shashasheesh)
    Hi guys,

Long version of story: (scroll down for short version)

I am in second year of a three year degree in London. I enjoyed 1st year for the most part and did well academically but had doubts about going back for 2nd year. I ended up living in a shared house where I am finding it hard to take proper care of myself (sharing kitchen & bathroom with younger boys who are not the cleanest). I managed to make it through 1st term however pretty much had a physical and mental breakdown a week before Christmas... I was pushing myself too hard to keep up with everything instead of taking time off, had flu and it developed into a chest infection.

I went home to my mum's for Christmas and have spent the whole of the Christmas break in bed feeling horribIe (inlcuding my birthday). I was meant to submit an essay on the 22nd but I didn't because I couldn't concentrate due to illness. I went to see the Doctor and got antibiotics but they haven't helped and I still feel very unwell.
    I have a pre-existing chronic illness which makes me more prone to small illnesses so while I appreciate some people might be able to cope with flu/chest infection, personally I can't. I also have long-term recurring depression which I normally manage well (without meds) however I have not been coping for the last few months.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get the train back to London tomorrow because I have loads of work due for the 16th & 17th of January (some of which is group work which we have to do on the 9th) but I am not feeling up to it at all. I really feel like I need to take a couple more weeks at home to rest and arrange Doctors visits so I can get my health sorted but with all the coursework due (including work that affects other people) I feel like I can't do this.
    I really want to ask if there is any way I could get an extension on all the work but last time I tried this (for the essay in December) my tutor completely ignored my request... Because the Uni is shut for Christmas I don't know who I could even contact about this or what numbers to call...

Basically I need to know how I would go about trying to get time off Uni around coursework deadlines? Do I need to submit an extenuating circumstances form? Who would I submit to? Is there someone I can speak to about all this??

Short version:
    - tried to get an extension on essay in December due to illness but tutor didn't respond
    - still not well, have had antibiotics but they didn't help that much.
    - want to stay at my mums (where my doctor is) to rest and recover BUT I have loads of work due for 16th & 17th Jan including group work
    - want to get extension but no idea how to go about it since lecturers seem to not be working at the moment
    - considering taking time off but don't want to skip the whole of the year, just a few weeks

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? If it helps I study at UEL (they are super disorganized and I struggled to find any policies for this sort of thing)

Thanks

Sha x
    start by emailing your personal tutor or try calling student support and seeing if anyone answers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.