Turn on thread page Beta

Taking a small amount of time off for illness? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Long version of story: (scroll down for short version)

I am in second year of a three year degree in London. I enjoyed 1st year for the most part and did well academically but had doubts about going back for 2nd year. I ended up living in a shared house where I am finding it hard to take proper care of myself (sharing kitchen & bathroom with younger boys who are not the cleanest). I managed to make it through 1st term however pretty much had a physical and mental breakdown a week before Christmas... I was pushing myself too hard to keep up with everything instead of taking time off, had flu and it developed into a chest infection.

I went home to my mum's for Christmas and have spent the whole of the Christmas break in bed feeling horribIe (inlcuding my birthday). I was meant to submit an essay on the 22nd but I didn't because I couldn't concentrate due to illness. I went to see the Doctor and got antibiotics but they haven't helped and I still feel very unwell.
    I have a pre-existing chronic illness which makes me more prone to small illnesses so while I appreciate some people might be able to cope with flu/chest infection, personally I can't. I also have long-term recurring depression which I normally manage well (without meds) however I have not been coping for the last few months.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get the train back to London tomorrow because I have loads of work due for the 16th & 17th of January (some of which is group work which we have to do on the 9th) but I am not feeling up to it at all. I really feel like I need to take a couple more weeks at home to rest and arrange Doctors visits so I can get my health sorted but with all the coursework due (including work that affects other people) I feel like I can't do this.
    I really want to ask if there is any way I could get an extension on all the work but last time I tried this (for the essay in December) my tutor completely ignored my request... Because the Uni is shut for Christmas I don't know who I could even contact about this or what numbers to call...

Basically I need to know how I would go about trying to get time off Uni around coursework deadlines? Do I need to submit an extenuating circumstances form? Who would I submit to? Is there someone I can speak to about all this??

Short version:
    - tried to get an extension on essay in December due to illness but tutor didn't respond
    - still not well, have had antibiotics but they didn't help that much.
    - want to stay at my mums (where my doctor is) to rest and recover BUT I have loads of work due for 16th & 17th Jan including group work
    - want to get extension but no idea how to go about it since lecturers seem to not be working at the moment
    - considering taking time off but don't want to skip the whole of the year, just a few weeks

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? If it helps I study at UEL (they are super disorganized and I struggled to find any policies for this sort of thing)

Thanks

Sha x
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Shashasheesh)
    Hi guys,

Long version of story: (scroll down for short version)

I am in second year of a three year degree in London. I enjoyed 1st year for the most part and did well academically but had doubts about going back for 2nd year. I ended up living in a shared house where I am finding it hard to take proper care of myself (sharing kitchen & bathroom with younger boys who are not the cleanest). I managed to make it through 1st term however pretty much had a physical and mental breakdown a week before Christmas... I was pushing myself too hard to keep up with everything instead of taking time off, had flu and it developed into a chest infection.

I went home to my mum's for Christmas and have spent the whole of the Christmas break in bed feeling horribIe (inlcuding my birthday). I was meant to submit an essay on the 22nd but I didn't because I couldn't concentrate due to illness. I went to see the Doctor and got antibiotics but they haven't helped and I still feel very unwell.
    I have a pre-existing chronic illness which makes me more prone to small illnesses so while I appreciate some people might be able to cope with flu/chest infection, personally I can't. I also have long-term recurring depression which I normally manage well (without meds) however I have not been coping for the last few months.

Anyway, I'm supposed to get the train back to London tomorrow because I have loads of work due for the 16th & 17th of January (some of which is group work which we have to do on the 9th) but I am not feeling up to it at all. I really feel like I need to take a couple more weeks at home to rest and arrange Doctors visits so I can get my health sorted but with all the coursework due (including work that affects other people) I feel like I can't do this.
    I really want to ask if there is any way I could get an extension on all the work but last time I tried this (for the essay in December) my tutor completely ignored my request... Because the Uni is shut for Christmas I don't know who I could even contact about this or what numbers to call...

Basically I need to know how I would go about trying to get time off Uni around coursework deadlines? Do I need to submit an extenuating circumstances form? Who would I submit to? Is there someone I can speak to about all this??

Short version:
    - tried to get an extension on essay in December due to illness but tutor didn't respond
    - still not well, have had antibiotics but they didn't help that much.
    - want to stay at my mums (where my doctor is) to rest and recover BUT I have loads of work due for 16th & 17th Jan including group work
    - want to get extension but no idea how to go about it since lecturers seem to not be working at the moment
    - considering taking time off but don't want to skip the whole of the year, just a few weeks

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? If it helps I study at UEL (they are super disorganized and I struggled to find any policies for this sort of thing)

Thanks

Sha x
    start by emailing your personal tutor or try calling student support and seeing if anyone answers.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.