Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay, so I'm in my second year of university facing having to go back tomorrow after the Christmas holidays and quite frankly, as always, I'm in tears over it and have been since I woke up this morning. It's now midday.

I've been this way since I started to be honest, the worst I've been is when I had to start again in September after the summer - I pretty much sobbed over that, begging my parents not to take me back.

I have no clue as to what to do about it and why I'm feeling this way - I have friends who I live with there, I enjoy my course for the most part and am doing something I enjoy, I go and see relatives nearby every other weekend...but it's just the living away from home. I really cannot shake it and it's making me feel awful.
    I spend my days there counting down until I next see my family, I Skype them quite often, most days if I can. I would go home more often if I didn't live a seven hour train journey away...

If it's relevant: I have anxiety, and had therapy and counselling for awhile before I started university - I wonder if maybe that's a contributing factor to how I feel. I also tend to feel rather lonely in university despite having friends there. I have a very close-knit family unit back at home, along with a friend unit I've had since primary school or early high school - my family and friends at home are my rock and I don't feel that I have that at university. I know it's impossible to forge those sorts of friendships there in such a short space of time, so I'm really unsure of how to tackle that.

Also, leaving or transferring universities isn't really an option either, I might have taken the transfer option if there were any decent universities near me that do the course I want (or wasn't already halfway through my current course), but I also can't bare being this unhappy. I've contemplated going to the counselling services in university, I've also contemplated dedicating a few days a term between study weeks and holidays to going home, I'm just not sure if these solutions really are, well, solutions to my problem.

At this point any advice will be welcome, maybe even a fresh pair of eyes on the situation is all I need to kick me up the ass. I don't know. But what I do know is, I can't be this codependent upon my family for the rest of my life - there is nothing for me at home realistically, but I don't want to be unhappy simultaneously.

Wow. Seven hours is so far away...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wow. Seven hours is so far away...
    How are you feeling now? Not really sure what to suggest tbh but it sounds horrible have you seen uni support services at all? I'm sure you're not the first person they've seen in this situation so there might be something they can do to help. They do vary a lot place to place but most will be able to put you on the waiting list for counselling if nothing else. The other person is your GP, they might have less advice given this specific situation if they're not a uni one but it's possible you're suffering from depression or something too, and there's a lot they can do to help with that. Just a thought anyway, hope you feel a bit better soon!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.