Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't how to ride a bicycle :// so I'm wondering how popular and necessary cycling is in universities such as LSE, KCL, Bristol, York, Oxford and Bath. Are there any alternatives that people use instead of cycling? Is it possible to walk in some of these universities?

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse lol just get a bus/tube/walk

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know how to ride a bike, don't even consider cycling in London. And even if you did, don't.1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan_belmonte)
    I don't how to ride a bicycle :// so I'm wondering how popular and necessary cycling is in universities such as LSE, KCL, Bristol, York, Oxford and Bath. Are there any alternatives that people use instead of cycling? Is it possible to walk in some of these universities?
    Cycling is very popular in Oxford, but it is by no means necessary to have a bike. Everything is pretty much within walking distance as Oxford city centre is quite small - I didn't have a bike and had no problems.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    For London, I wouldn't recommend cycling - it can get very busy, and public transport is usually pretty good. For Oxford, having a bike can be useful but it's definitely not necessary. If your department is 'far' from your college, or you live out somewhere that's a bit further out, a bike would be a good idea but it's still not required.

I'd still recommend learning to cycle though, it's a useful life skill.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't ride at bicycle at 15, 16 ish. Bought one from halfords and learned on the way home. It really isn't hard. Even if you don't need a bicycle, you should get one anyway but they are very useful.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford: not necessary, but useful if your college is further out e.g. St Hugh's. Potentially if you are living out too, though that won't be first year so you'll have time to decide for yourself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.