AsianInvasion98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
'What is the price of a bond with an annual coupon rate of 6%, the nominal value is £100.The yield to maturity is 8% per year and the bond has 3 years to mature?' A question like this may come up in an exam so I would just like to know how I would solve this?
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AsianInvasion98)
'What is the price of a bond with an annual coupon rate of 6%, the nominal value is £100.The yield to maturity is 8% per year and the bond has 3 years to mature?' A question like this may come up in an exam so I would just like to know how I would solve this?
So you know that the discount rate is 8% for an NPV of zero, and that the cash flow is £6 per year plus 100% in year three.

So you can work out your discount factor of 1/1.08

You can then work out the discounted cash flow and sum it up to find the NPV of the cash flows. The price is what you would have to pay for the NPV of the investment to equal zero and therefore its price is equal to the NPV of all the future cash flows.

There's a handy tutorial on Investopedia: http://www.investopedia.com/universi...ancedbond2.asp

I've also attached a simple bond pricing model I wrote for you that you can have a play with and try to understand.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (176)
4.96%
Uncertainty around my education (519)
14.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (393)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (491)
13.85%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (173)
4.88%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (215)
6.06%
Loneliness (302)
8.52%
Financial worries (129)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (140)
3.95%
Exposure to negative news/social media (160)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (199)
5.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (318)
8.97%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (330)
9.31%

Watched Threads