Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accounting and Finance potential exam question Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    'What is the price of a bond with an annual coupon rate of 6%, the nominal value is £100.The yield to maturity is 8% per year and the bond has 3 years to mature?' A question like this may come up in an exam so I would just like to know how I would solve this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsianInvasion98)
    'What is the price of a bond with an annual coupon rate of 6%, the nominal value is £100.The yield to maturity is 8% per year and the bond has 3 years to mature?' A question like this may come up in an exam so I would just like to know how I would solve this?
    So you know that the discount rate is 8% for an NPV of zero, and that the cash flow is £6 per year plus 100% in year three.

So you can work out your discount factor of 1/1.08

You can then work out the discounted cash flow and sum it up to find the NPV of the cash flows. The price is what you would have to pay for the NPV of the investment to equal zero and therefore its price is equal to the NPV of all the future cash flows.

There's a handy tutorial on Investopedia: http://www.investopedia.com/universi...ancedbond2.asp

I've also attached a simple bond pricing model I wrote for you that you can have a play with and try to understand.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xlsxBond Pricing Model.xlsx (20.2 KB, 23 views)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.