Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could success kill the Tory Party? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    At the same time the left will continue to blame everything on the media barons, given they clearly believe their constituents incapable of independent thought or cynicism, and when that won't work blame Russian interference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've been slating the media massively in recent months for its apparent left wing bias...

Can you be consistent please.

When it suits you, you claim the media is brainwashing people, when it doesn't you claim they have no impact.

You wouldn't know consistency if it smacked you in the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Interestingly a lot of polling suggests that Major still had the economic lead heading into the 97 election. The reason Blair won so big is because instead of insulting the Tories, Blair's message related to the proceeds of growth. In essense he avoided that debate by basically saying 'the Tories were right about the economy but here's how we can give the benefits of growth to you'.
    That is something I want from a party. To give me their vision on how to take our country forward instead of blaming and bringing out flaws on the other party.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    You've been slating the media massively in recent months for its apparent left wing bias...

Can you be consistent please.

When it suits you, you claim the media is brainwashing people, when it doesn't you claim they have no impact.

You wouldn't know consistency if it smacked you in the face.
    Do not deny that the single most common excuse for losing an election (if we ignore the underlying "anybody who didn't vote the way I did is stupid") on the left in this country is " it was the media". IIRC you were doing it a few months ago, and in 2015, and it was being claimed in 2010, and when Scotland rejected independence, and is being used to this day as the excuse for Corbyn's poor performance. It's never the ideology, its the media combined with dumb people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Do not deny that the single most common excuse for losing an election (if we ignore the underlying "anybody who didn't vote the way I did is stupid" on the left in this country is " it was the media". IIRC you were doing it a few months ago, and in 2015, and it was being claimed in 2010, and when Scotland rejected independence, and is being used to this day as the excuse for Corbyn's poor performance. It's never the ideology, its the media combined with dumb people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A while back in the Commons bar thread I posted the results of poll which showed that British people would vote something like 45-15 % in favour of Clinton (40% undecided or something) and your response was 'that's because our press are so biased.

When it suits you, you claim the media have a massive impact. When it doesn't you claim they have no impact at all.

You're incredibly inconsistent and opportunistic. So please don't change the topic. I know diversion is your favourite tactic but it's incredibly obvious when you do it.
    Talking about conspiracy theorists though...before the refendum you were claiming that MI5 were going to change our ballots and that before the US election that there would be electoral fraud in favour of Clinton.

You allege all sorts of conspiracy theories. And you also allege the media is to blame for people who think differently to you.

ReputationRep:
    The Consevative party has pretty much morphed into UKIP.

They've gone from being a party of being obsessed with the economy to being a 'boo Johnny Foriegner' party.
    Heck we even have ministers ****ging off our diplomats in public because they didn't think Brexit would be an easy process...

My hope is that decent tories like Soubry, Dominic Grieve and Ken Clarke desert it and join with the Lib Dems and Labour moderates.
    Soubry isn't decent, she treats her constituents with contempt and disdain. Can't believe I voted for that vile woman (although the Labour alternative was pretty awful as well).

Hopefully she gets the boot by Broxtowe Conservatives at the next election. Or pisses off back to being a TV presenter again.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    A while back in the Commons bar thread I posted the results of poll which showed that British people would vote something like 45-15 % in favour of Clinton (40% undecided or something) and your response was 'that's because our press are so biased.

When it suits you, you claim the media have a massive impact. When it doesn't you claim they have no impact at all.

You're incredibly inconsistent and opportunistic. So please don't change the topic. I know diversion is your favourite tactic but it's incredibly obvious when you do it.
    Talking about conspiracy theorists though...before the refendum you were claiming that MI5 were going to change our ballots and that before the US election that there would be electoral fraud in favour of Clinton.

You allege all sorts of conspiracy theories. And you also allege the media is to blame for people who think differently to you.
    So, of the BBC, Sky, ITN, DMG, NewsCorp, Trinity mirror, which make up 85% of news consumption, with the likes of the Guardian, Independent, Huffington Post making up much of the rest, who was even neutral, let's forget in favour of Trump, just neutral towards him? Might even be able to extend that to the Republicans as a whole
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So, of the BBC, Sky, ITN, DMG, NewsCorp, Trinity mirror, which make up 85% of news consumption, with the likes of the Guardian, Independent, Huffington Post making up much of the rest, who was even neutral, let's forget in favour of Trump, just neutral towards him? Might even be able to extend that to the Republicans as a whole
    Wait so now the media DOES have an impact?

Make up your mind.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wait so now the media DOES have an impact?

Make up your mind.
    So a binary state exists then, the media ALWAYS influences mass opinion or the media NEVER influences mass opinion? Are you a sith?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And a double digit lead in the polls when they should be behind. Even if we suppose polling errors it would do little to change the facts.
    Yes, because the polls were correct in terms of predicting the Brexit vote and Trump being elected, right? I think you need to realise that polls are not necessarily an indicator of the general consenus in this current political climate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rogueone)
    Yes, because the polls were correct in terms of predicting the Brexit vote and Trump being elected, right? I think you need to realise that polls are not necessarily an indicator of the general consenus in this current political climate.
    I predicted a Trump win and brexit looking at the polls, thing is a two point swing is not unreasonable and the pollsters can get away with, 5-10 points is a totally different story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So a binary state exists then, the media ALWAYS influences mass opinion or the media NEVER influences mass opinion? Are you a sith?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait, so when people disagree with you it's because of the media?
    But when people agree with you then it is nothing to do with the media?

Well, that's awfully convenient.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.