Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The society in London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    Made me laugh how in cirque you walk through a metal detector, they search your bags and then ask... "do you have any chewing gum in your possesion?"
    Been bodysearched at Equinox? I'm sure the guy's gay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    They make a killing. My friend on the internship does it, if he submits a guestlist of 30 people for a night that's £150 earned.

But never have I experienced such cliquey stupid door policies as in London. Even if you're on the guestlist, dressed up in a mixed group, they can randomly tell you you're not coming in, and be downright rude about it.
    Oh, hell yeah - the doormen can be total arsewipes when they want to be. I've found the best thing is to approach in 2s and 3s rather than a big group - makes the bouncers less wary. They've become really strict about ID, too. Only a passport or driving liscence will do now, and who wants to take their passport to a club!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Been bodysearched at Equinox? I'm sure the guy's gay...
    LOL, nope - I'm a girl anyway, girls don't tend to get bodysearched, but if we do, it's usually by some hyped up lesbian lol

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - never heard of em!
    Fair enough, no worries. Which other places do you go to in London, any ones which aren't bang central? (I'm just trying to get an idea, because I'd quite like to go to uni in London and I'm down there on a few days between now and Christmas.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Fair enough, no worries. Which other places do you go to in London, any ones which aren't bang central? (I'm just trying to get an idea, because I'd quite like to go to uni in London and I'm down there on a few days between now and Christmas.)
    Hmm, I don't know that many places that aren't in central london - apart from a couple of places in Croydon, which is far out - nice place though, when the football hooligans aren't tearing it apart! Then again, the places I know *in* central london are limited too, I'm usually too skint to even brave the ticket price!!

Cirque, Oxygen, OnAnon, Sound, Equinox... I'm sure other Londoners will be able to help you out more than I can!

Edit: Unless you mean other places generally and not just clubs? lol then I can help you out!

ReputationRep:
    Only a passport or driving liscence will do now, and who wants to take their passport to a club!?
    Haven't had that yet. That'd be crap since I don't drive and as you say carrying your passport around to clubs isn't that wise... I just use my student union ID where they accidentally gave everyone the birthdate 30/06/1980

ReputationRep:
    i have only been in london once and that was 3-4 years ago so i don't know how it looks now. anyway when it comes to the grafitti there are cities that have more of that than london. think i saw two homeless people (covent garden) i gave no doubt that there are more but you couldn't see them as much as here anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Haven't had that yet. That'd be crap since I don't drive and as you say carrying your passport around to clubs isn't that wise... I just use my student union ID where they accidentally gave everyone the birthdate 30/06/1980
    Hmm, it's the new thing - the best thing to do is apply for a provisional driving license - that way it's all official and if you do wanna take lessons you've got it already.

I think actually they accept and 'age card' thing too now, but where you're meant to get one from I have no idea!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I don't know that many places that aren't in central london - apart from a couple of places in Croydon, which is far out - nice place though, when the football hooligans aren't tearing it apart! Then again, the places I know *in* central london are limited too, I'm usually too skint to even brave the ticket price!!

Cirque, Oxygen, OnAnon, Sound, Equinox... I'm sure other Londoners will be able to help you out more than I can!

Edit: Unless you mean other places generally and not just clubs? lol then I can help you out!
    Croydon! I could be living there after the first year of uni - because my close uncles and aunts live mainly in Croydon!! (Either there or Greenwich, Hendon and Ladbrooke Grove) And I'll definitely be working there - as my aunt owns an ethnic gift shop in the big shopping centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i have only been in london once and that was 3-4 years ago so i don't know how it looks now. anyway when it comes to the grafitti there are cities that have more of that than london. think i saw two homeless people (covent garden) i gave no doubt that there are more but you couldn't see them as much as here anyway.
    It's so strange, as a Londoner, to think that people haven't been to london before, or haven't been for a while!

There are homeless people in every city as you say... there used to be a very large homeless community near westminster bridge, but they've built the Imax cinema there now, which means that the homeless are spread about more - usually along the strand. There are now, however, more hostels and shelters than there used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it's the new thing - the best thing to do is apply for a provisional driving license - that way it's all official and if you do wanna take lessons you've got it already.

I think actually they accept and 'age card' thing too now, but where you're meant to get one from I have no idea!
    But I'm 20, most of the decent clubs require 21+.

ReputationRep:
    Croydon! I could be living there after the first year of uni - because my close uncles and aunts live mainly in Croydon!! (Either there or Greenwich, Hendon and Ladbrooke Grove) And I'll definitely be working there - as my aunt owns an ethnic gift shop in the big shopping centre.
    HAHA! no way! wicked. In that case, I'd 100% recommend you to head along to a place called 'The Black Sheep Bar', which is near Smith Street market, because that place is totally, utterly AWESOME. One of my favourite nights out!

You'll be working in the Witgift Center then! lucky you! what's the shop called?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    But I'm 20, most of the decent clubs require 21+.
    Really? hmm - maybe I've not been to any decent clubs then lol - I'm 19.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA! no way! wicked. In that case, I'd 100% recommend you to head along to a place called 'The Black Sheep Bar', which is near Smith Street market, because that place is totally, utterly AWESOME. One of my favourite nights out!

You'll be working in the Witgift Center then! lucky you! what's the shop called?!
    Cheers for those, I've made a note of them. The shop's called Kizala, and my aunt is looking to open quite a few more nationwide.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for those, I've made a note of them. The shop's called Kizala, and my aunt is looking to open quite a few more nationwide.
    Hmm, I've not seen the shop before. Then again, I tend to chose Bromley over Croydon now that I can drive!

If you can chose between Croydon, Ladbroke Grove, Hendon and Greenwich - I'd recommend Greenwich - nicer area, more to do, closer to central aminities, the river right there and more students milling around. Hendon, apart from having a police training centre, doesn't offer anything else really. And it's a long way out on the Northern Line. Ladbroke Grove is up and coming, you'd get Notting Hill and that area, sort of second to Greenwich.

Anyways I'm sure you're more than capable of chosing where you live, lol I'm sorry

ReputationRep:

ahh whitgift.....shopping....so good.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    ahh whitgift.....shopping....so good.....
    It's also <<<chav city>>> lol the JJB sports store must be raking it in!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I've not seen the shop before. Then again, I tend to chose Bromley over Croydon now that I can drive!

If you can chose between Croydon, Ladbroke Grove, Hendon and Greenwich - I'd recommend Greenwich - nicer area, more to do, closer to central aminities, the river right there and more students milling around. Hendon, apart from having a police training centre, doesn't offer anything else really. And it's a long way out on the Northern Line. Ladbroke Grove is up and coming, you'd get Notting Hill and that area, sort of second to Greenwich.

Anyways I'm sure you're more than capable of chosing where you live, lol I'm sorry
    Cheers! Greenwich is a good bet too - because it's my uncle's house - and he's really sound. He's a typical bachelor, with a nice bachelor pad, and I'm sure I'd have a blast at his house. I was there a couple of months ago and the train to the station to Charing Cross takes no time at all. I went on the Jubilee Line tube as well - and I was surprised! The stations were all really clean and a lot of it was overground I think.

This is the website for my aunt's shop btw:
    http://www.kizala.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    Mobbdeeprob - for good clubs it really depends what type of music you are into and what your scene is. And places to live, I would definitely say Greenwich. Croydon is thought of as a crap place to live, theres a fine line between Ladbroke Grove (where I saw someone being threatened with a gun) and Notting Hill, Hendon isn't too bad but there's nothing great about it either.

Jools - definitely try Tantra. I know a lot of interns get guestlists there arranged by their company.

ReputationRep:
    It's also <<<chav city>>> lol the JJB sports store must be raking it in!
    true....iwas there yesterday and after staying away for a while i had forgotten how many little shits just hang around waiting to smash a car up or sumthing.altho (me sounding like my grandma), everywhere is like that nowadays, its not like it used to be etc ...lol

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.