Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The society in London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    HAHA! no way! wicked. In that case, I'd 100% recommend you to head along to a place called 'The Black Sheep Bar', which is near Smith Street market, because that place is totally, utterly AWESOME. One of my favourite nights out!

You'll be working in the Witgift Center then! lucky you! what's the shop called?!
    I know where that is, well i havn't been in there as i'm underage but i've sure been past it! I live between Bromley and Croydon and its really strange hearing about it here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Cheers! Greenwich is a good bet too - because it's my uncle's house - and he's really sound. He's a typical bachelor, with a nice bachelor pad, and I'm sure I'd have a blast at his house. I was there a couple of months ago and the train to the station to Charing Cross takes no time at all. I went on the Jubilee Line tube as well - and I was surprised! The stations were all really clean and a lot of it was overground I think.

This is the website for my aunt's shop btw:
    http://www.kizala.co.uk/
    Sounds good! I'd love to live in Greenwich, it is a really lovely place!

Yeah the Jubilee line is good, it's the newest line opened, so it has 'anti suicide' barriers, means less delays scraping people off the lines when they decide to end it all by jumping infront of a train. (sorry, that was a tad depressing wasn't it - you get scarilly immune to hearing "the so and so line has delays due to a person-under-train at such and such station")

I'll go have a looksie at that website...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Honestly what do you expect from Leicester Square, it is hardly renowned as a haven of tranquility . Anyway it is easier to keep all the trouble in one place, and LS has lots of room for the water cannons .
    actually walked through leicester square on qa thursday evening (about 8.00) a couple of months bak with a few mates, and i have to say that was one of the most tranquil nights ever in central london.. a few people around but yet so peaceful and not a single scuffle anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    I know where that is, well i havn't been in there as i'm underage but i've sure been past it! I live between Bromley and Croydon and its really strange hearing about it here!
    It is such a cool place - saturday nights they play everything from the beetles through to sean paul - exellent place. check out http://www.blacksheepbar.com/bsb/ for more details

I know- it's so weird to know that out of the entire country, there are people on this site who know where I'm talking about! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    Mobbdeeprob - for good clubs it really depends what type of music you are into and what your scene is. And places to live, I would definitely say Greenwich. Croydon is thought of as a crap place to live, theres a fine line between Ladbroke Grove (where I saw someone being threatened with a gun) and Notting Hill, Hendon isn't too bad but there's nothing great about it either.

Jools - definitely try Tantra. I know a lot of interns get guestlists there arranged by their company.
    Cheers for that, I suppose I'm just into anywhere chilled out really - with not many undesirable types there. I like D'n'B, deep house and oldskool hiphop - but the important thing is the atmosphere (as my music tastes are varied and numerous).

The last time I went to the Grove, I can remember seeing loads of fancy bars (built into a flyover thing). From what I've heard - it's central, and quite trendy - but can be a bit sketchy too as you rightly point out.

Is Greenwich (i.e. it's bars and clubs) for young people though? Or is it a more mature crowd?

And sh*t. A gun! Doesn't surprise me though - it's one of 'em things.

ReputationRep:
    It is such a cool place - saturday nights they play everything from the beetles through to sean paul - exellent place. check out http://www.blacksheepbar.com/bsb/ for more details

I know- it's so weird to know that out of the entire country, there are people on this site who know where I'm talking about! lol
    Now i just have to wait another 8+ months :rolleyes: Alot of underage people do make it in their though.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good! I'd love to live in Greenwich, it is a really lovely place!

Yeah the Jubilee line is good, it's the newest line opened, so it has 'anti suicide' barriers, means less delays scraping people off the lines when they decide to end it all by jumping infront of a train.
    ****. I suppose it beats maintenance for an excuse though.

I hate London Bridge tube though - the escalator makes me want to be physically ill. I'm sure it's not safe, you would die if you got pushed from the top and fell! On the subject of morbid Tube stories, do people get pushed from escalators?

ReputationRep:
    Now i just have to wait another 8+ months :rolleyes: Alot of underage people do make it in their though.
    Not anymore - like I said earlier, they're totally cracking down on it now, after all the problems with the football hooligans, they're not allowing anyone in unless they have passport or driving liscence. A friend of mine was turned away because her student card 'wasn't valid ID'.

ReputationRep:

I hate London Bridge tube though - the escalator makes me want to be physically ill. I'm sure it's not safe, you would die if you got pushed from the top and fell! On the subject of morbid Tube stories, do people get pushed from escalators?
    :eek: Ouch. Luckily I don't remember ever reading a story like that!

ReputationRep:

I use those escalators everyday when I'm at uni, I get the same feeling - hence me clamping my hand down onto the handrail thingy and just looking straight ahead.

I dunno if anyone's been pushed down escalators, according to the posters they put up, there was 1 fatality from escalotor incidents last year - may have been! (happy happy! lol)

ReputationRep:
    Not anymore - like I said earlier, they're totally cracking down on it now, after all the problems with the football hooligans, they're not allowing anyone in unless they have passport or driving liscence. A friend of mine was turned away because her student card 'wasn't valid ID'.
    I think thats good, I would sure prefer it to be stricter when I turn 18. Although surely some make it through on monday nights or something.

ReputationRep:
    Too many clubs, pubs and bars are operating 'passport or driving license only' policies. Sometimes I see married couples who look about 30 getting turned down at Yates but there are still lots of places that aren't too hard. The 'couples only' policy can be a little annoying too if you are say in a group of 6 guys and 5 girls. Discriminatory against homosexual couples as well.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats good, I would sure prefer it to be stricter when I turn 18. Although surely some make it through on monday nights or something.
    I suppose it is a good thing - I mean it's always worth a try, but it's a bit of a **** feeling if you get turned away when your mates are there. Especially if you're actually *of age* lol, my mate was NOT impressed, bless her.

ReputationRep:
    Did people slide down the metal thing in the middle before they put those little sign thingys up? Because thats a very long and steep slide down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    Too many clubs, pubs and bars are operating 'passport or driving license only' policies. Sometimes I see married couples who look about 30 getting turned down at Yates but there are still lots of places that aren't too hard. The 'couples only' policy can be a little annoying too if you are say in a group of 6 guys and 5 girls. Discriminatory against homosexual couples as well.
    I've not heard that 'couples only' rule - that sucks! as does discrimination in any form really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    true....iwas there yesterday and after staying away for a while i had forgotten how many little shits just hang around waiting to smash a car up or sumthing.altho (me sounding like my grandma), everywhere is like that nowadays, its not like it used to be etc ...lol
    Lol my parents company used to have a shop there (a good few years ago though) and got rid of it becuase of all the "little shits" as you put it, .

ReputationRep:
    Did people slide down the metal thing in the middle before they put those little sign thingys up? Because thats a very long and steep slide down.

Hahaha - yes, some, people - may - have done that before when drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    actually walked through leicester square on qa thursday evening (about 8.00) a couple of months bak with a few mates, and i have to say that was one of the most tranquil nights ever in central london.. a few people around but yet so peaceful and not a single scuffle anywhere.
    Wait till closing time . At 8pm the drink is still flowing, problems start when the drink stops flowing.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha - yes, some, people - may - have done that before when drunk.
    Ermmmm.... Ouch! Sounds fun though!

ReputationRep:
    They're doing this kind of thing everywhere I think! In Birmingham loads of clubs are getting well harsh with ID, even though some places still let 15 year olds in.

Ironically though, when I go to the main clubs in Brum on Broad St. - I never get asked for ID (although I was told to change my shoes a few weeks ago :mad: ). But it's the smaller, rubbishy, teenager/student hangouts which are being arsy with ID.

I hope I'm okay tomorrow - I've got no ID. And there was a feature on a police crackdown on underagers on ITV Central news yesterday.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.