Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    So many people have called for 24h tubes, and certain mayoral candidates had it down as a goal.
    For me the last tube gets to me at 12:40, which means if I am in Leicester Square I have to leave at about 11:50.
    See - that sucks that a night out has to end at midnight, when most of the places are just warming up. Hell, I didn't even get into Cirque until half 11 the other night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    The Brazilians? I think it may be Bar Rumba but not sure. DnB isn't really my scene.

And I agree 24h tubes on friday/saturday nights at least! Transport for London always say that they can't run the tube 24h because they need the downtime in the night for maintenence/engineering works, but surely they can do it fridays/saturdays. Nightbuses aren't bad, but they don't go to near where I live.
    Yup the very same. I want to see them - I don't think either of them is on at the God's Kitchen massive thingy. Although DJ Hype is headlining, so Fabric must be one cool club!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    Oooh my god, tell me about it - that train gets me to my station about 1am - and even then it isn't the prettiest of places to be. Like I said I'm more vulnerable in the suburbs than the centre lol

I think we should start a petition for 24 hour tubes - it's an essential, really, if Ken wants to promote London as a vibrant, lively metropolitan 24 hour city. How does that work if everyone has to leave at 12.30? or then wait around until the first train at half 5?! lol

and nightbusses scare the crap out of me - they make me nervous because there is *ALWAYS* some fruitcake on there that wants a deep and meaningful conversation. (Russia was the last topic as I recall). At least the drivers are right there I suppose - although they aren't much better. They're in those cages not for their protection, but for ours you know lol
    LOL, no offence at all - but you make me laugh loads!

That's the one thing that hacks me off about nightbuses - although in Brum my nightbus leaves from near a Cathedral which is really seedy and dimly lit at night, but cool in the daytime.

I'm lucky that a taxi home only costs me £5-£9 (even in a black cab) and I usually split fare with at least 3 others, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    and the fact that there would be a higher proportion of crime of practically every sort, so a lot of people would have to work and only for those people who have been clubbin,

having said that i would still wish that these services did exist at least on friday and saturdays, make life much easier transport wise and much cheaper than paying for a cab all the way back to st.albans
    That's an absolute mission away! I went to a wedding there once in some country club - and it's some distance from Central London.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in greater london all my life. Last October I began studying at LSE and lived in zone 1, the more I see of London the more I dislike it. The smell, the feel, the sounds give me a headache. The people are so unfriendly, the prices are silly, the pollution is very unpleasant. Why people like it so much is beyond me.

I went to visit a friend at Cardiff uni over Xmas and loved the city! More friendly, cheaper, lower pollution, superb! I'm moving there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    LOL, no offence at all - but you make me laugh loads!

That's the one thing that hacks me off about nightbuses - although in Brum my nightbus leaves from near a Cathedral which is really seedy and dimly lit at night, but cool in the daytime.

I'm lucky that a taxi home only costs me £5-£9 (even in a black cab) and I usually split fare with at least 3 others, lol.
    LOL, no offence taken whatsoever I like making people laugh lol

A BLACK CAB COSTS YOU UNDER A TENNER?!! holy moses, where is it you live?! I wanna come visit - it's a tenner in london as soon as you slam the door and he's pulled away from the curb!!

ReputationRep:
    That's an absolute mission away! I went to a wedding there once in some country club - and it's some distance from Central London.
    hence the reason why i am not pissed right now walking out of walkabout at o2, that night wouldve probably cost me £20 excluding drinks... locally it would cost me £2.50 excluding drinks... which is why i cant wait to get into a london university in october

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greyhound01)
    I've lived in greater london all my life. Last October I began studying at LSE and lived in zone 1, the more I see of London the more I dislike it. The smell, the feel, the sounds give me a headache. The people are so unfriendly, the prices are silly, the pollution is very unpleasant. Why people like it so much is beyond me.

I went to visit a friend at Cardiff uni over Xmas and loved the city! More friendly, cheaper, lower pollution, superb! I'm moving there.

How odd, that's exactly what I love about london - the fact that it's so busy that no-one notices that you could be wearig your pajamas with no shoes on wandering around covent garden. (Does this sound like I've done this? I really haven't, this time it wasn't me! - I was only a witness!) I love that you can sit at a cafe window and people watch for hours because the scenery is ever changing. Then again, I adore that view from London Bridge never changes as I head in to uni.
    I love the smell of it, I went away to the middle of nowhere for a biology fieldtrip once - I think I was the only one in the minibus scanning the horizon for a towerblock. My lungs couldn't hack the clean air!
    The people are friendly - a smile on the tube can get you a (drunk) friend for life lol

I do, however, totally agree that the prices are beyond silly! £20.40 for a *Week* 1-4 zone travelcard made a very, very large dent in my student pocket!

ReputationRep:
    LOL, no offence taken whatsoever I like making people laugh lol

A BLACK CAB COSTS YOU UNDER A TENNER?!! holy moses, where is it you live?! I wanna come visit - it's a tenner in london as soon as you slam the door and he's pulled away from the curb!!
    I've made it home for £6 flat in a black cab and £5 in a minicab.

It usually costs about £7 - and there's not really any difference between a black cab and a minicab. (Especially when you take into account the "Yes - I'll do it for a fiver matey" who then say "Eight or Nine will cover it" when you pull up.)

Having said that though - split between 4 people - the taxi at 4am often works out cheaper than a nightbus (which finishes at 2am). Infact me and my mates often tip the drivers and just them a tenner - because it's still value.

I live near Birmingham University Edgbaston campus.

ReputationRep:
    hence the reason why i am not pissed right now walking out of walkabout at o2, that night wouldve probably cost me £20 excluding drinks... locally it would cost me £2.50 excluding drinks... which is why i cant wait to get into a london university in october
    Hmm - last friday cost me <counts> £60. . It was a friend's 21st however, and the drinks *Were* extortionate in the club. £7 for a vodka, lime and lemmonade?! no WONDER they were searching bags for drinks as we entered. I would've smuggled in my own drinks had I known that!

ReputationRep:
    How odd, that's exactly what I love about london - the fact that it's so busy that no-one notices that you could be wearig your pajamas with no shoes on wandering around covent garden. (Does this sound like I've done this? I really haven't, this time it wasn't me! - I was only a witness!) I love that you can sit at a cafe window and people watch for hours because the scenery is ever changing. Then again, I adore that view from London Bridge never changes as I head in to uni.
    I love the smell of it, I went away to the middle of nowhere for a biology fieldtrip once - I think I was the only one in the minibus scanning the horizon for a towerblock. My lungs couldn't hack the clean air!
    The people are friendly - a smile on the tube can get you a (drunk) friend for life lol

I do, however, totally agree that the prices are beyond silly! £20.40 for a *Week* 1-4 zone travelcard made a very, very large dent in my student pocket!
    agree with you totally, apart from the 'smell' bit.... i still hate pollution, but onto price of travelcard couldnt you get a student discount or something like that... and why zone4... couldnt you get zone 1-2 cos that should be enough to go to uni and clubbing and seeing most mates if they are at other unis..

ReputationRep:
    I've made it home for £6 flat in a black cab and £5 in a minicab.

It usually costs about £7 - and there's not really any difference between a black cab and a minicab. (Especially when you take into account the "Yes - I'll do it for a fiver matey" who then say "Eight or Nine will cover it" when you pull up.)

Having said that though - split between 4 people - the taxi at 4am often works out cheaper than a nightbus (which finishes at 2am). Infact me and my mates often tip the drivers and just them a tenner - because it's still value.

I live near Birmingham University Edgbaston campus.

Shocking. Shocking and highly unfair

Jeez it's alright for some lol - a black cab cost be a tenner when I got one home from the station the other night, it was after midnight so the fare had already been hiked up already. I only live about a mile and half away! lol I sware if it wasn't so difficault, and if it didn't take almost 5 years, I'd be a black cabbie in an instant lol

ReputationRep:
    The prices are quite crazy for a student. Luckily i have a priv card thanks to my dad who works for London Underground, meaning i get half price train fair (and freee travel on the trams in Croydon). As a student this will come in very very handy!

ReputationRep:
    agree with you totally, apart from the 'smell' bit.... i still hate pollution, but onto price of travelcard couldnt you get a student discount or something like that... and why zone4... couldnt you get zone 1-2 cos that should be enough to go to uni and clubbing and seeing most mates if they are at other unis..
    That was WITH a student discount! and I live out in zone 4, so 1-2 would only get me half way

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - last friday cost me <counts> £60. . It was a friend's 21st however, and the drinks *Were* extortionate in the club. £7 for a vodka, lime and lemmonade?! no WONDER they were searching bags for drinks as we entered. I would've smuggled in my own drinks had I known that!
    lolol, that's absolute robbery though! At the popular nights on Broad St. it usually doesn't cost any more than £4 a drink for that. On Wednesday student nights - you can get double doubles (i.e. 2 doubled Vodka mixers) for £3/£4 in a lot of clubs.

It sounds like I'm going to have to get tanked in Wetherspoons or from the offy beforehand!

ReputationRep:
    Shocking. Shocking and highly unfair

Jeez it's alright for some lol - a black cab cost be a tenner when I got one home from the station the other night, it was after midnight so the fare had already been hiked up already. I only live about a mile and half away! lol I sware if it wasn't so difficault, and if it didn't take almost 5 years, I'd be a black cabbie in an instant lol
    if its only a mile and a half couldnt you walk it in under 30mins?.. then again depends on where you live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    The prices are quite crazy for a student. Luckily i have a priv card thanks to my dad who works for London Underground, meaning i get half price train fair (and freee travel on the trams in Croydon). As a student this will come in very very handy!
    You lucky so and so! lol

My brother gets free travel with a 70 mile radius of London, then again he is a copper... lol. It would be a bit difficault for me to borrow his warrant card lol

ReputationRep:
    lolol, that's absolute robbery though! At the popular nights on Broad St. it usually doesn't cost any more than £4 a drink for that. On Wednesday student nights - you can get double doubles (i.e. 2 doubled Vodka mixers) for £3/£4 in a lot of clubs.

It sounds like I'm going to have to get tanked in Wetherspoons or from the offy beforehand!

LOL, that is indeed the beauty of that dingy little off license that you once would never have dared enter. And that's the reason why most nights out in london don't start until about half 10, before that, everyone's at home getting semi-pissed! lol

ReputationRep:
    vodka redbull at a popular st.albans bar = £1, and 70cl bottle of wine at local iceland = £1 allows me to get pissed using under a tenner, however doesnt have the same central london vibes

ReputationRep:
    if its only a mile and a half couldnt you walk it in under 30mins?.. then again depends on where you live
    Yeah, it takes about half an hour, but I was *stupidly* wearing shoes that weren't designed to be walked in, let alone danced in all night. The prospect of taking another step almost reduced me to tears.

Besides, the walk would have taken me past a park which is a bit dodgy in the daytime... at night it's the sort of place that you'd cross over to avoid - only on the other side is an equally scary block of flats lol

Expensive as it was, the cab was oh, so welcome when it pulled up lol

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.