Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    Yep - I work behind a bar at the moment. (Obviously not at this very moment because that would be near impossible lol)

Good fun actually, the best job - great meeting people, and a piece of piss when it isn't busy! lol
    Cool. (Off at a complete tangent, lol) I've noticed your sig and the 'don't let the *******s grind you down' thing. I read the Handmaids Tale for English Lit - but isn't it 'Nolite tes *******es carborundorum' or somet like that? I've never done Latin by the way, so I'm most probably wrong and look stupid now, lol!

ReputationRep:
    Yep - I work behind a bar at the moment. (Obviously not at this very moment because that would be near impossible lol)

Good fun actually, the best job - great meeting people, and a piece of piss when it isn't busy! lol
    is it easy gettin barwork at say a local pub, assuming my knowledge is very little due to the fact that i cant remember half the stuff ive ordered before, really need a job... just not yet tried the pubs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Cool. (Off at a complete tangent, lol) I've noticed your sig and the 'don't let the *******s grind you down' thing. I read the Handmaids Tale for English Lit - but isn't it 'Nolite tes *******es carborundorum' or somet like that? I've never done Latin by the way, so I'm most probably wrong and look stupid now, lol!
    LOL, it most probably is - my source isn't half as reliable as yours. Mine comes from my welsh, nutty english teacher who wrote it in my leaver's book. It took me a while to realise it was latin and not welsh lol.

He's probably got it wrong -wouldn't suprise me, the man also wrote "May the bluebird of happiness fly up your nose" - how touching. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    is it easy gettin barwork at say a local pub, assuming my knowledge is very little due to the fact that i cant remember half the stuff ive ordered before, really need a job... just not yet tried the pubs
    Well I had it pretty easy actually because my best friend's parents run the club I work in. It was only supposed to be for New Years Eve, but I've hung around lol

My friend found it easy to get work - go into the pub with a smile and look really bright and bubbly, enquire, drop off your CV and hope they get back to you! most pubs offer training on the job they did for me! took me ages to pull the perfect pint of fosters lol

ReputationRep:
    LOL, it most probably is - my source isn't half as reliable as yours. Mine comes from my welsh, nutty english teacher who wrote it in my leaver's book. It took me a while to realise it was latin and not welsh lol.

He's probably got it wrong -wouldn't suprise me, the man also wrote "May the bluebird of happiness fly up your nose" - how touching. lol
    lol, he sounds like a dude.

Have you ever had people try and steal pints from the taps when you're not looking? (I know a few places where my mates have contests at doing this, the fools!)

ReputationRep:
    cheerz red665, by the way is working at a student bar good/usefull/good pay/worthit??

i am thinking about trying for it if i get into uni just to earn a bit of cash but not sure whats it really like.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    lol, he sounds like a dude.

Have you ever had people try and steal pints from the taps when you're not looking? (I know a few places where my mates have contests at doing this, the fools!)
    LOL, he was a wicked teacher, yeah made english really enjoyable!

Haha, no I've not experienced that, then again, the club is more a 'social' outift, older generation sort of thing - not really the agile sort that could lean over the bar to get to the pump if you know what I mean lol.

cheerz red665, by the way is working at a student bar good/usefull/good pay/worthit??

i am thinking about trying for it if i get into uni just to earn a bit of cash but not sure whats it really like.. :confused:
    You're welcome

I'm not too sure about working in a student bar, I'm considering it for next year myself, but I think it'd be a bit too much what with work too. Start off by working in your local pub or club, so you can get the experience of working the bar and dealing with the people in various stages of mumbling incoherently lol. I'd say that yeah, if you enjoyed working there then you'd enjoy working in the student bar. I can imagine that the pay might not be so good as in an independant bar though (which to begin with isn't staggering)

Good luck though

And on that note, I'm off to bed - I'm shattered. Been nice chatting though! cheers for keeping me company!

Night!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome

I'm not too sure about working in a student bar, I'm considering it for next year myself, but I think it'd be a bit too much what with work too. Start off by working in your local pub or club, so you can get the experience of working the bar and dealing with the people in various stages of mumbling incoherently lol. I'd say that yeah, if you enjoyed working there then you'd enjoy working in the student bar. I can imagine that the pay might not be so good as in an independant bar though (which to begin with isn't staggering)

Good luck though

And on that note, I'm off to bed - I'm shattered. Been nice chatting though! cheers for keeping me company!

Night!
    cheerz for the advice red665, nice chattin to mobbdeeprob as well, laterz

ReputationRep:
    LOL, he was a wicked teacher, yeah made english really enjoyable!

Haha, no I've not experienced that, then again, the club is more a 'social' outift, older generation sort of thing - not really the agile sort that could lean over the bar to get to the pump if you know what I mean lol.

Good luck though

Night!
    Lol, fair enough!

See ya! Nice chatting too!

ReputationRep:
    cheerz for the advice red665, nice chattin to mobbdeeprob as well, laterz
    See ya too! Nice chatting to you.

ReputationRep:
    In London you will find a lot of youngsters do go to wetherspoons or the like beforehand, they are easily the most affordable places to drink. Whoever said tequila is disgusting, I agree, it's absolutely vile. The one think I can't drink. I don't actually like beer either.

ReputationRep:
    Umm, this post has been pretty popular...

ReputationRep:
    I actually preferred New York to parts of London when I went. (And I did visit Brooklyn and Queens). People just seem a lot friendlier over there, and although there are graffiti problems etc/high crime rates, things have improved Times Square is nowhere near as feared as it used to be. You see families walking around there at midnight now, which they would never have been able to do a few years ago for fear of getting mugged.

London needs some tough crackdowns on street crime and defacing. But apart from that, it is one of the coolest cities in the world.

ReputationRep:
    OK guys, im off to LSE next yr if i get the grades which hopefully i will, anywayz im gona be at Bankside Hall which is rite next to millenium bridge i think so just wanted to know wat the nitelifes like near by? When are student nites? dont really wana go to the really expensive clubs in central london cuz i wont have the cash and also any clubs which play mostly RnB and Hiphop i know Krush at LSE Student Union is ment to be good..any1 know ne other places? Thx guys.

Jay

ReputationRep:
    i HATE clubbin in lesiter (sp sorry) sq!! been to sound and it was CRAP! (sat night) and lecister sq at 3am is NOT a pretty site, didnt see any police, and some random guy walking past me tried to touch me up! ew! jools - never made the trek to chinawhite/tantra et al, but know friends who go there and to the embassy quite often and have no problem getting on the guestlist and getting in - although I have heard the horror stories!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    I don't know what has happened to the capital city, but there is more graffiti, hobos, binge drinkers and general all-round-rejects than ever before.

For instance, I went to the London Aquarium and had my camera pickpocketed. On the way from Waterloo station to the aquarium, I saw three homeless people, tons of graffiti scrawled on the floor and 3 people who were being questioned by the police. :mad:

Admittedly, I saw quite a few police, but they are not enough to drive crime down to tolerable levels.

Has something like this happened to anyone else?
    Does anyone disagree with me when I say that the mayor of London should do more?
    Oxford has more homeless peeps than London.

Tonnes of Crime and shed loads of graffiti...

Ken has given us tonnes more police since he came 'to power' and plans on more.

To go to a major tourist attraction and not be vigilant is a bit silly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blagger)
    i HATE clubbin in lesiter (sp sorry) sq!! been to sound and it was CRAP! (sat night) and lecister sq at 3am is NOT a pretty site, didnt see any police, and some random guy walking past me tried to touch me up! ew! jools - never made the trek to chinawhite/tantra et al, but know friends who go there and to the embassy quite often and have no problem getting on the guestlist and getting in - although I have heard the horror stories!
    Fabric in Smithfield is much better!

ReputationRep:
    Fabric is undoubtedly a great club but it really depends on what your scene is. If you like rnb and hip hop or want a smaller, more intimate venue (fabric is a 'superclub') then you won't enjoy it.

Jay - most of the clubs in central london/leicester square area do rnb/hip-hop but look out for specific nights. Again depends really what your crowd is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amrad)
    Fabric is undoubtedly a great club but it really depends on what your scene is. If you like rnb and hip hop or want a smaller, more intimate venue (fabric is a 'superclub') then you won't enjoy it.

Jay - most of the clubs in central london/leicester square area do rnb/hip-hop but look out for specific nights. Again depends really what your crowd is.
    If you think fabric is a 'superclub' you ain't been clubbing much in London!!!

Only muppets, under 18s and folk from out of town attempt to go clubbing in LS. It's nasty!

ReputationRep:
    lol

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.