Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This may end up being a little long winded as I tend to ramble quite a lot, haha. But I'm applying to study English at university this year, and my predicted grades are AAC. I applied to Bristol, Exeter, Plymouth (twice) and Portsmouth, and I have all of my offers back, now. I got offers of 112 points from Portsmouth, 120 points from Plymouth for both courses that I applied for, and a rejection from Bristol, which upset me but I wasn't too surprised as I knew that my grades were lower than the minimum that they asked for (AAB).

This all happened back in November, and I was just waiting for Exeter to respond to my offer so I could decide where I wanted to go. Now, seeing that both Bristol and Exeter are red bricks and had the same entry requirements, I figured that Exeter's response would be the same as Bristol's: "Your grades are too low, so we can't offer you a place". I didn't mind this, as Plymouth sent me a letter saying that they would make my offer unconditional if I selected them as my firm.

Well, it turns out I was wrong. On Tuesday, I received an email saying that Exeter had decided to make me an offer of ABC, including an A in English Literature. To be honest, I was completely astounded. I never expected to be made an offer, even though my grade predictions are only one below what they asked... and if they did make me an offer, I expected it to be AAC including an A in English Lit.

So, my question is... why was I made an offer, and why was it so low?

I'm aware that universities don't generally ask you to achieve grades higher than those you're predicted, but surely then Exeter should have offered me AAC? Or just rejected me like Bristol did? Or maybe they just really liked my personal statement and decided that I was worth taking a risk for, haha. I'd just really like to know if this has happened to anyone else this year!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You are not the only one in this situation.

In the Exeter Applicants 2017 thread, I saw one more person who asked the same thing.

We were not able to identify the cause, but it could be due to any of these:
    - your school is not exactly the best
    - you have any kind of extenuating circumstances
    - you come from an area with a low rate of progression to higher education
    - you are part of group which is less likely to go on to higher education (e.g. Bangladeshi)
    - Exeter is just weird like that and occasionally makes lower offers since they like you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    You are not the only one in this situation.

In the Exeter Applicants 2017 thread, I saw one more person who asked the same thing.

We were not able to identify the cause, but it could be due to any of these:
    - your school is not exactly the best
    - you have any kind of extenuating circumstances
    - you come from an area with a low rate of progression to higher education
    - you are part of group which is less likely to go on to higher education (e.g. Bangladeshi)
    - Exeter is just weird like that and occasionally makes lower offers since they like you
    My school was on the list of schools that Bristol would consider giving applicants contextual offers to because it's underachieving, so that could certainly be the reason. :embarrassed:

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one though! Thank you for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Things I learned from my daughters application.

1. Firm where you want to go (forget about the required grades etc)
    Take your time to weigh up the course, location, and pros & cons of everything.
    2. Only insure somewhere that has lower entry requirements or will drop lower than your Firm for acceptable grades
    3. Do some research to consider options for clearing if you aren't confident
    4. Concentrate on your exams and work and forget the above once you've made your decision
    5. Don't try to second guess the way offers, acceptances and rejections are made by the university, you'll drive yourself daft

My daughter had an offer from Sussex of AAA reduced to ABB if firmed, and was accepted on BBC (was for physics)
    Now to say on those grades it has been a huge learning curve, struggle and not sure if she will continue to year 2 then that is to do about her A-Level maths modules & tuition, so it's a double-edged sword

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colinj451)
    Things I learned from my daughters application.

1. Firm where you want to go (forget about the required grades etc)
    Take your time to weigh up the course, location, and pros & cons of everything.
    2. Only insure somewhere that has lower entry requirements or will drop lower than your Firm for acceptable grades
    3. Do some research to consider options for clearing if you aren't confident
    4. Concentrate on your exams and work and forget the above once you've made your decision
    5. Don't try to second guess the way offers, acceptances and rejections are made by the university, you'll drive yourself daft

My daughter had an offer from Sussex of AAA reduced to ABB if firmed, and was accepted on BBC (was for physics)
    Now to say on those grades it has been a huge learning curve, struggle and not sure if she will continue to year 2 then that is to do about her A-Level maths modules & tuition, so it's a double-edged sword
    Thank you for replying!

I'm torn between Exeter and Plymouth, currently, so I'm going to their applicant days and will be making my decision after that.
    I'll be sure to keep the entry requirements in mind before I submit my response to UCAS.
    I get really nervous before exams so yeah I'm going to have to really revise if I don't want to have a panic attack.
    I agree with you when it comes to trying to predict how the admissions system works... it's mind boggling.

Also, I hope your daughter is alright! Physics is a difficult subject, and she's doing better than I ever could by the sounds of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.