Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So as some people may or may not know I am kind of screwed for a reference on christmass my brother bought me as a present maths lessons four hours with a tutor etc.

As some of you know private tutors can give references for universities. When I looked into tutors myself one said he never predicts students A* and that j should consider whether uni is he best option this was after we established I was autistic basically he was writing me off I said bye and hanged up as if I wasn't going to pursue university let him think what he wants I don't want him as a tutor.

But if a tutor is going to be a reference it is kind of unreasonable to say I want you to predict me A* etc kind of like I'm paying them just to say it. However it is also unfair if I hit A* to predict me B etc. I shouldn't be held back because of people's negative views on autism.

So since I'm doing two full a levels this year and either one or two next year I was thinking of saying

Predict me what I get eg if I sit two a levels this year and do just one next predict me my best grade from the two for it. If I sit two next year predict me the two grades I got already. E.g. If I got A*A and then sat two next year they would predict me A*A i sat just one they'd predict me A* conversely if I got CD and sat two next year they'd predict me C and D and if I sat just one they'd predict me C

I think asking to be predicted what I achieved previously for better or for worse is fair.

I don't want to ask someone to say something just because I'm paying them but I also don't want to be held back on prospects because people may or may not take negative views towards me regardless of achievements.

I just ask to be predicted what I demonstrate is that fair or not?

ReputationRep:
    A prediction may get you an offer - but it wont get you into that Uni.

If you know that you stand no chance of getting the grades required then its pointless applying with totally inflated predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    A prediction may get you an offer - but it wont get you into that Uni.

If you know that you stand no chance of getting the grades required then its pointless applying with totally inflated predictions.
    What I said is that they predict me what I got previously I am doing maths further maths and additional further maths. And if I get A*A* possibly physics as well.

If I got A*A* in maths and further maths it would be a reasonable assumption to assume I would get A* in additional further mathsfue to evidence of previous form and also in that scenario the way they use the modules I would benefit from shuffle of modules as a well.

In example that I gave if I got CD they predict me C for additional maths.

If I can get great grades for the first two a levels I don't see why I can't for the next two. If I can't then yeah it's inreasonable to assume I would for the next ones etc.

ReputationRep:
    "and that j should consider whether uni is he best option this was after we established I was autistic "

Oh that pissed me off. He is clearly extremely ignorant. Many people who are autistic are actually very academically skilled, especially in STEM subjects. Physics is actually the discipline that attracts the most autistic people, and as a result of that, that is the department that will have the most of them at universities.

Anyway, I think it's absolutely reasonable to ask for a prediction matching the grades you have been getting so far. Teachers often predict higher if a student is working hard, so I don't see why he should be predicting lower grades than what you have been achieving previously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.