Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham's 'typical offer' for M100 is A*AA.
    Is this just a red herring to boost its reputation, and they actually give out lower offers normally?
    Anyone who has received offers from notts for law in the past, your input is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethanlester)
    bump
    From what I have seen, they have let in people with AAA before. They give a typical offer of A*AA as thats what many people applying will have been predicted.

ReputationRep:
    Is this just a red herring to boost its reputation, and they actually give out lower offers normally?
    Anyone who has received offers from notts for law in the past, your input is appreciated.
    This is the offer they usually give, though however there are exception for a few that get an offer for AAA (2yrs ago, some of my friends got an offer for AAB since they did the Nottingham Summer School). Nottingham is considered to be as one of the top Law schools, so its reasonable for them to ask that.

ReputationRep:
    did you end up applying and have you heard back?

ReputationRep:
    Their typical offer is A*AA. I know of certain people who have received ABB (However she was the first person in her family to have gone to university). They will take your context into consideration should you have any disadvantages that may be relevant to your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Varis)
    Their typical offer is A*AA. I know of certain people who have received ABB (However she was the first person in her family to have gone to university). They will take your context into consideration should you have any disadvantages that may be relevant to your application.
    being the first person in your family to go to university. that's not information asked for in the UCAS application though? that must have been given additionally somehow

ReputationRep:
    Student studying law at uni of Nottingham:

They set the requirement high but let people in who miss it narrowly, like myself who got AAA. Others got AAB and got in too. I have many friends who did not meet the A*AA doing law right now. But it's not guaranteed, it will depend on the competition every year and the strength of your overall application

ReputationRep:
    Considering you can get into Cambridge, Durham, UCL, LSE, Oxford with the same/lower grades, you could argue it.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham Law School has retained regular small group teaching (not seminar groups) as part of the course, whereas most Law Schools will not offer this. This is one of the reasons why Nottingam Law School is highly regarded, and A*AA is what they will aim for from students.

If you can't get into a top 6 Law School, then Nottingham is probably the best place to go (along with Bristol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic Streets)
    Nottingham Law School has retained regular small group teaching (not seminar groups) as part of the course, whereas most Law Schools will not offer this. This is one of the reasons why Nottingam Law School is highly regarded, and A*AA is what they will aim for from students.

If you can't get into a top 6 Law School, then Nottingham is probably the best place to go (along with Bristol).
    It must be noted that for the past couple of years, Nottingham has been a top 6 law school.

ReputationRep:
    Girl I know doing law got a contextualised AAA offer because of her school and socioeconomic background. However, a guy at my school got his offer at A*AA. It really varies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanyenot)
    It must be noted that for the past couple of years, Nottingham has been a top 6 law school.
    (Original post by Magic Streets)

It depends on which league table you look at and the year. Complete University Guide says 10th, Guardian says 17th but it has consistently been top 10 since 2012 according to CUG- which I think is more reliable

ReputationRep:
    applied for Law and have Nottingham (A*AA) as first choice and then Leeds (AAA). I'm scared if I get AAB, or I'm screwed, because that's two below Nottingham, and even though it's only one less than Leeds, they are my second choice so wouldn't be lenient. Panicking a little bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chicken777)
    applied for Law and have Nottingham (A*AA) as first choice and then Leeds (AAA). I'm scared if I get AAB, or I'm screwed, because that's two below Nottingham, and even though it's only one less than Leeds, they are my second choice so wouldn't be lenient. Panicking a little bit!
    Hi,
    I just finished my first year of Law at Notts - they reduced my offer to AAA when I applied but I know of loads of people on my course who got AAB and were still let in. They will almost certainly take you with AAA still as that seems to be what most people I know were offered.
    However, I did go to a badly performing state school and was the first in my family to attend university ..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.